Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New computer wont turn on.

List of parts. (minus the PSU, current one used is this)

I just finished putting it together after way too many hours, and it just wont turn on after pushing the power button. I've plugged everything in correctly and completely as far as I can tell:

-Big cable from PSU to motherboard
    -Smaller 2x4 sized connector from PSU to motherboard
    -3 connectors from the front of the case; front audio, USB ports and power/reset button
    -All the case fans are plugged in
    -Optical, solid state and hard drives are all plugged into the motherboard and power supply
    -Graphics card has both of the connectors from the PSU plugged in.

After I switch on the PSU, I see the light on the motherboard turn green for about 3 seconds, then it fades. I can't find anything inside the manual, but I'll keep looking through.

Quote Originally Posted by Anstormning View Post
    List of parts. (minus the PSU, current one used is this)

I just finished putting it together after way too many hours, and it just wont turn on after pushing the power button. I've plugged everything in correctly and completely as far as I can tell:

-Big cable from PSU to motherboard
    -Smaller 2x4 sized connector from PSU to motherboard
    -3 connectors from the front of the case; front audio, USB ports and power/reset button
    -All the case fans are plugged in
    -Optical, solid state and hard drives are all plugged into the motherboard and power supply
    -Graphics card has both of the connectors from the PSU plugged in.

After I switch on the PSU, I see the light on the motherboard turn green for about 3 seconds, then it fades. I can't find anything inside the manual, but I'll keep looking through.
    Is your Mobo grounded?
    Are you sure the PSU works?

If the light switches on and fades, I'm 99% sure you have a bum PSU.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

Not sure how I can tell if the Mobo is grounded.. I wasn't on carpeting when I was putting this together?

And the PSU worked last night before I took my old computer apart. I have a friend telling me 610W might not be enough to power everything though.

10+ Year Old Account
    make sure all the pins are pushed all the way in. I had that happen to me, the 24 pin came loose when i was moving it around.
    CPU: Intel i5-2500k MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme
    GPU: Asus HD 7850 RAM: Mushkin Blackline 8GB
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB PSU: OCZ 500W CASE: Cooler Master HAF 922

Not sure how I can tell if the Mobo is grounded.. I wasn't on carpeting when I was putting this together?

And the PSU worked last night before I took my old computer apart. I have a friend telling me 610W might not be enough to power everything though.
    Poor PSUs can get fucked up being transferred from one PC to another. I had this exact situation happen to me a year back throwing some 550w Antec PSU in a frankenstein case. Had to run out and grab a new one. Was glad I didn't have to disassemble the rest.

Also, if it was a needed power issue it wouldn't show up until you did a high stress load. Regardless of the hardware, your PC wont draw more than 200-300w during boot.

Deleted
    What happens when you press the power button?

10+ Year Old Account

you put all the screws in to lift the mobo off the case correct? also carpet doesnt matter, moving around can cause a static charge.
    CPU: Intel i5-2500k MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme
    GPU: Asus HD 7850 RAM: Mushkin Blackline 8GB
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB PSU: OCZ 500W CASE: Cooler Master HAF 922

K well, I took another friends advice and undid both RAM sticks and put them back in, and its working.. for now. I don't know why that worked? I guess I'll just bump this thread if I run into more issues.

Did you make sure to use the little gold seperators when installing your mobo into the tower? Sometimes new PC builders forget to use those, keeps your mobo seperated from the metal of the case which can short circuit the bored, and doesnt allow proper grounding.

If its not that, I would definitlly if possible try another power supply, because a fading green light after a few minutes is either faulty power supply, Not enough power from power supply, or one of the 2 connectors for power to the mobo is faulty.

Let us know how its going.
    Best of luck
    -Dark

[EDIT] Didnt see your post about how you removed the RAM, if removing and reinstalling was the issue, then all you did wrong was not insert the RAM sticks well enough into the MOBO sockets.

Glad to hear its working for now!

It could be the Power Supply, as was stated.

Have you built a computer before? I can tell you what happened when I put together my first one: I didn't understand how the screws on the motherboard worked, so I screwed that bad boy directly into the case, which didn't work. I realized after panicking about which expensive part was busted and reading hours of "how-to's" and asking for help online that I needed to screw those stand-offs in first to keep my board from shorting. I proceeded to unscrew the board, screw in the standoffs, and screw the board into those and it worked like a charm.

In my case, it was just a matter of not quite having checked out the directions closely enough in one simple but extremely important regard. It felt somewhat "oh, durrrr" after I realized it. Hopefully whatever is plaguing yours is equally simple.

610W is way above what is needed. What happens when you push the power button on the case? Did you use all the correct motherboard standoffs?

Deleted
    He said he has fixed it now.

Yeah I built my previous computer. Didn't know about those gold stands, I'm sure I have them somewhere. I went over 4 years without using them before, are they completely mandatory? It took me probably 4 hours to put this thing together (yeah, I suck) and I'd rather not have to do that again. :\

Yes they are mandatory. Without them you risk short-circuiting your motherboard and possibly destroying it.

Alright. Well, would there be an easy way to add them on without taking everything else out? Could I just unscrew the mobo and graphics card and try to slide them under?

Shit I'm shocked it even turned on (eventually) without adding in the mobo anchors.

Alright. Well, would there be an easy way to add them on without taking everything else out? Could I just unscrew the mobo and graphics card and try to slide them under?
    Unplug the whole motherboard, unscrew all the mounting screws, take out your VC and place the motherboard w/ RAM/CPU/Heatsink ontop of it's static proof bag, screw them in, then CAREFULLY replace everything.

No you need to completely remove your motherboard from the case, you can leave the CPU and RAM on the board but you will have to unplug all cables and the graphic card as well.

Let me get a picture of my bag of assorted screws cause I'm still slightly confused here and maybe you can point which one they are. Gimme a few minutes..

They are hexagonal golden mounting anchors that look like this: