Poll: Who would get the job

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    There are a lot of factors to consider behind that question. 1. Attractive people of absolute equal skill with unattractive people have been seen in studies to have a better chance of getting hired/making more money. 2. Older/Elderly applicants have a harder time finding jobs for several reasons, one of which is their experience actually starts working against them (employers don't want to have to pay them a higher wage for their experience). 3. Who's doing the interviewing?

Quote Originally Posted by Citrustree View Post
    It doesn't really matter if it's an attractive woman or a man, but the more attractive person will always have a slight advantage over a less attractive person. It's just a human trait to perceive good-looking, attractive people as better, smarter, brighter and healthier human beings.
    No they really won't. Seriously... Science has already done the research.

http://www.livescience.com/9038-attr...men-hired.html

Yes, they do have an advantage, but how long can they last in a challenging environment at work?

Deleted
    Yes

/thread

You're talking about subway - a customer facing job.
    Of course you get attractive people if customers are going to be looking at them.

For the backroom (or maybe office) you probably would be smarter to go with someone who's not going to be a distraction for other workers.

Depends of the job. If I had to recruit a lawyer, I wouldn't go with 'Looking cute and pretty'. If I had to recruit a promotion girl, I would.
    EDIT: If it's subway, go with pretty. As long as you're not brain-death or any other thing that handicaps you, the thinking part will not be the problem.
    Last edited by Oniax; 2012-07-08 at 01:35 PM. Reason: A lama crapped in my yard and I feel like vengeance now and I'll try it on the internet.

It depends a lot on the type of job, if its customer facing id say yes, if its not customer facing and they still go for the better looking one then i doubt you would enjoy working for that company anyway

Edit: beaten by a minute but yeah like the guy above me says it depends on the job

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Actually, attractive women are at a disadvantage in getting a job.

Bustin out some science here
    Your "science" is heavily flawed. They claim the phenomenon is universal, but their test sample was in Israel... That's a BIG difference from any 1st world standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    Your "science" is heavily flawed. They claim the phenomenon is universal, but their test sample was in Israel... That's a BIG difference from any 1st world standard.
    Israel is a developed nation that does extensive business with the western world.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    In my sociology class we talked about this, most companies would hire a female over a male just because of looks and how social they can be compared to men. it usually tends to happen in department stores, I mean go to a mall and count how many women there are compared to men, the majority of the department stores at a mall are usually more than men.

The subway I worked for my boss would actually look for qualifications and not just looks, I guess it can vary at Subways or any fast food restaurant.

No they really won't. Seriously... Science has already done the research.

http://www.livescience.com/9038-attr...men-hired.html
    You linked a study which contradicts what you just said.

Quote Originally Posted by Citrustree View Post
    You linked a study which contradicts what you just said.
    Huh? That study corroborates precisely what I said.

An attractive person will always be prioritised when opposed to someone with the same skill but still not as attractive... so yes!

If you assume they are both qualified for the job, then I think the good looking female has an advantage.

Huh? That study corroborates precisely what I said.
    What you said was probably more ambiguous than you realised.

At a place like subway they will choose the 16 year old, not because of sex but because they have to pay a 16 year old a lot less.

That said it can give an advantage, depends on the person conducting the interview.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lets be honest here, when you're talking about unskilled fast-food work, it's ALL about the look. I can walk around my home city and it's pretty obvious how the hiring is.

My city has a lot of Asians, East Indians, and Whites in it. Not a lot of Hispanics or Blacks. But if I go to a local Mexican restaurant I'll find the majority of employees to either be Hispanic, or look close enough to the untrained eye. The Asian restaurants have Asian employees, and there's a Caribbean restaurant that I know of that I swear had to look outside city limits to find enough people Black enough to hire. And if I go to the local Keg I'll find White women. McD's likes young people up front, I rarely see fat Subway employees, and A&W hires people willing to put on an ugly uniform.

What they all have in common is that each one has an image it wants to present to the public, and they hire people who visually fit that image. Because it's unskilled labor, a good-looking idiot that doesn't steal from the cash register is just as good as anyone else. Once you get into the professional world and positions that do NOT require customer interaction, you'll find VERY different trends.

Deleted
    Attractive female means more customers than an old dude. Experience or maturity is pretty irrelevant when it comes to a Subway job. A smart manager would hire the pretty girl as it would be better for business.

If it was a high skill office job then it's a different story....

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    What you said was probably more ambiguous than you realised.
    Attractive women are less likely to be called for an interview than plain women. What's ambiguous about that?

as long as she's not a moron the female