Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    But if you want the ultimate bullshit CC mobs, natural knockback, with Frozen, Nightmarish, Jailer, and then put something in there that kills fast.
    That doesn't sound so bad actually. I'd say, for my monk, vortex + arcane + 2x stuff on the ground definitely takes the lead on the most annoying affixes, particularly on a mob with natural knockback just to screw up over even more. It's completely nonsensical. Even funnier when it happens in content you could normally lolstomp through like act I, but with those affixes an easy elite pack just becomes impossible.

What's worse, I'm not encouraged to even try more than maybe once or twice because the repair bills ramp up from death so quickly. Better to just skip and tell yourself that you're enjoying yourself.

Meh. This is the same team that can't even code the mercenaries to get out of the fire. I can't count the number of times my Templar just stood in that desecration zone and died. They seem to inherit our resists, but have the AI from the Atari 2600 E.T. game.

I can almost guarantee that if the devs (Jay Wilson especially) were forced to sit in a room allowed to do nothing (other than food/bathroom breaks) but try to beat the arcade Ghosts 'n' Goblins game (both times to get the real ending), they'd have a much better appreciation of the difference between "hard but beatable" and "so cheap you want to punch a hole in your screen in sheer anger and rage".

Anything past Act 1 Inferno feels like a one hit wonder, and my DH has 600 RA/3k armor and 1.1k LoH w/ 40k HP. And even in Act 1 some of the affix combos are stupid insane.

And can somebody please tell me why every knockback in the game against the player has a slow attached to it. I mean literally every single knockback a mob does, including the KB affix, slows you after it lands. The duration varies by mob (KB affix always has a minimum two second duration), but it's there. Jay Wilson came from the WoW side yes? One of the earliest lessons the devs learned there was that players being constantly CC'd pretty much killed any hope of enjoyable gameplay. So why is D3 such a clusterfuck of CC against the players? Do the devs really think we enjoy constantly being kept from doing anything, especially since they can chain spam that bullshit on us while we have some rather long cooldowns that we have to deal with?

Unless you're a LoH tank build, anything with Waller+Jailer is going to mean your death. The mobs can hit you from behind the walls (gee, go figure), but you can't hit them. They can root you in place in a Jail or wall(s) and drop the bad underneath you and essentially you have unavoidable death. Oh, and for some really whacked reason, the devs thought it'd be kosher to have the walls centered on the players relative 0,0 X/Y coordinates, meaning that oftentimes that wall puts you inside it, and you can't move. At all. A single wall of point A to point B and you're stuck. Can't hit the mobs, but oh yeah, they can hit you.

The coding in this game is a god awful mess, and from the lack of any reasonable timeframe for any fixes to this shit, the devs are using as few resources as possible while letting A/Blizzard suck as much money as they can from us via the RMAH in the meantime. There's no excuse for letting poorly designed and coded gameplay mechanics remain in the game for this long. There's even less excuse since the devs had to have known they existed before shoveling this pile of shit on us via patches - anybody that does testing for more than the thirty seconds it takes to get out in the field and find some mobs would have figured half of this shit out already. I mean, players are showing tons of pictures of entire screenfuls of arcane sentries, plague pools, desecration zones, and frozen exploding popcorn pieces. How can any of this have gotten past anybody with even a tiny smidgeon of coding and testing capability?

Remember folks, if it ain't punitive, it ain't "fun".

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Fast + Vortex or Jailer is all that really aggravates me. Ground effects are almost always of no issue unless you get chain Jailed, occasionally walls get stupid, but pretty rarely. The guys in Act 3 that break through walls though, those having Fast is just ridiculous, they run at like 1000% speed, put normally I can find walls that they apparently can't go through, so I just cheat a bit.

Some things are really annoying though like Teleport/Vortex + Fire Chains in Act 4 or something where it kills me in less than a second somehow yet I can take 5 hits from the mobs themselves..

http://i.imgur.com/MI6J0.jpg

Ah, so much fun. Run away from frost orbs? LOL NO, unavoidable vortex. Try to get them on staircase to only fight one of them? LOL NO, unavoidable vortex into fire chains and more frozen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebthet View Post
    It's just horrible design choices.
    Worst part is when you also have a group of monsters that normally only come one at a time.
    The ones that do massive damage even without being elite.

Then have fun facing 5 of them WITH fire chains, arcane, desecration etc

---------- Post added 2012-07-09 at 12:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post
    Jay Wilson came from the WoW side yes? One of the earliest lessons the devs learned there was that players being constantly CC'd pretty much killed any hope of enjoyable gameplay. So why is D3 such a clusterfuck of CC against the players
    I don't understand it either.

Same thing with respawn timers. Diablo 2 hardly had them, it was fun.

They do hotfix breakable barrels because they don't consider it "fun" to swap magic find gear for all that.
    Well, what's fun about respawn timers. What's fun about them increasing when you die a few times more?

Diablo 2 didn't have it, it didn't break the game.

Really.....WHY?

As a melee wizard I just skip anything with invuln minions especially combined with vortex, molten, and arcane. Since I cant hit them I cant rack up enough crits from my tornadoes to keep my shield up and the mob perma frozen so I always die. Shielding mobs can be a pain too for same reason. Everything else I just laugh at while I collect my free loot.

Deleted
    Personally i think the worse combo, for any class, is "Horde, Illusionist, Vortex, Desecration". If you have high defence = enrage (way too many things to kill). If you have high dps = you die (vortex into the middle of the pack, get stuck and ganged).

EDIT; should also note that with that combo, after a while, if the number of mobs gets too high, the map resets itself lol
    Last edited by mmoc3c164f0e8f; 2012-07-09 at 01:05 AM.

Because without unavoidable mechanics... it is just a bullet hell game.

Having unavoidable mechanics and planning for them and reacting to them makes your defense something other than "MOVE!"

Now... getting vortexed in to the same arcane laser twice in a row so that you don't have a cooldown up the second time... sure it is bullshit and rage away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbabo View Post
    Personally i think the worse combo, for any class, is "Horde, Illusionist, Vortex, Desecration". If you have high defence = enrage (way too many things to kill). If you have high dps = you die (vortex into the middle of the pack, get stuck and ganged).

EDIT; should also note that with that combo, after a while, if the number of mobs gets too high, the map resets itself lol
    Replace Vortex or Desecration with shielding, and you'll have your enrage timer.

On that note, what kind of abilities can the copies use? Anything that the base mob can? if so, Illusion is terribly dangerous.

15+ Year Old Account
    I usually like the soft jingling of Fire Chains in the distance. I know that usually something great is going to happen soon.

The majority of annoying combos is coming from the fact that they require extreme solutions: extreme persistance, extreme bursts, extremely long kiting ways and that often the challenge presented is antagonizing your skill setup which you can't change at a whim because then you would lose your NV buffs which you want to keep to get decent lvl52 rares off the pack you are kiting all the way over Bridge of Korsikk and back. I am not just crying over them, 7700 elite kills and going but sometimes the difficulty goes spiking from "oh that was it?" to "Skip?" too often. It would actually be decent if monsters always have a weakness attached to each affix, they started it with invul minions but they should go farther and it would lessen the stacking effect of affixes with monster attributes. Vortex and Teleport monsters should be vulnerable to Immobilizing/Slow effects, Fast monsters should have halved armor, shielded monsters should deal less damage under shielding effect etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post
    Jay Wilson came from the WoW side yes?
    No, he came from Company of Heroes and Dawn of War.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

As a barb, I'd have to go with Horde - Illusionist - Nightmarish - Molten imps or something equally fast and annoying that also runs from you a lot. I feel that Horde+Nightmarish is plain BS, as I get cc'd constantly and if they run me into a corner it's game over, especially if my WotB is on cooldown.

Still waters run deep.

Deleted
    People seem to be oblivious to the fact that every class has a CC breaker, so the point is moot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    People seem to be oblivious to the fact that every class has a CC breaker, so the point is moot.
    Except you have three mobs spamming every bit of crowd control they have.

Quote Originally Posted by eemuman View Post
    Horde + Arcane Sentry pisses me off on my Monk
    I love it, throw on some Pink Flyod and pretend you're at a laser flyod show!
    But look at how soon we're all forgotten. The abyss of endless time that swallows it all. The emptiness of those applauding hands.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Aren't you thankful you don't pay her repair bills
    Ssssshhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt!! Blizzard might hear you and think that's a great idea!!

Ontopic:

Last night I had a molten/jailer/firechains/vortex combo of 4 elites. Yeah, died fairly quickly as a barb....

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Ssssshhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt!! Blizzard might hear you and think that's a great idea!!

Ontopic:

Last night I had a molten/jailer/firechains/vortex combo of 4 elites. Yeah, died fairly quickly as a barb....
    meh, Wrath of the Berserker + ignore pain and that pack is dead in seconds unless it's one of those pesky mob types that like to run away from you, and if it was you'd still get one or two down and the remaining 2 would be easy as hell.
    Now if you went in there without your cds up, then sucks to be you :P

Deleted
    Well, at this point no combination in act 1 and 2 really bothers me any more. However..

With certain monsters, they are still a problem, for example the stone golems, when they are fast and teleport or even surprisingly extra health, fast, immortal minions cultists.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    LOL NO, unavoidable vortex
    Vortex has a maximum range, so you can stay out of the range and never be pulled in. You can also stop it with corners or other impassable objects, and I haven't been pulled all the way to the boss every time, so there's something that affects the distance of the effect itself, or it's shorter than the range the elite can use it at.

It's not completely unavoidable. For a melee it sucks of course, but shouldn't a melee be able to stay in melee anyway?

As for jailer being unavoidable... Would you really be a lot happier if jailer was RNG, based on for example some resistance or something? Wouldn't people then just be crying how it's RNG and how it sucks? Also, don't every class have an ability they use to get out of jails? You'll just have to save the invulnerability for jails, and if you need it before that, then upgrade your gear.

Fact is, it's not meant to be easy to kill elites in the later acts of inferno. They never intended for that. In fact they never ever said anywhere that they intended inferno - any parts of it, let alone acts 3 and 4 - to be farmed. The only times they've referred to inferno have been discussions about how hard it will be to progress through it, and finally kill Diablo.

I doubt you've got 100% perfect gear yet. By 100% perfect I mean 6 affix items with each affix at it's maximum. I doubt you're even at like 80%. This means there's plenty of upgrading to do still. We're a couple months into the game. That's nothing. People had crap in D2 after two months, but D2 was so ridiculously easy you could faceroll it with crap.

I don't like dying either but that's why I stick to act 1. There's absolutely no reason or point whatsoever to be farming acts 2-4, especially if it means dying repeatedly, when in act 1 you don't die ever.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Vortex has a maximum range, so you can stay out of the range and never be pulled in. You can also stop it with corners or other impassable objects, and I haven't been pulled all the way to the boss every time, so there's something that affects the distance of the effect itself, or it's shorter than the range the elite can use it at.

It's not completely unavoidable. For a melee it sucks of course, but shouldn't a melee be able to stay in melee anyway?

As for jailer being unavoidable... Would you really be a lot happier if jailer was RNG, based on for example some resistance or something? Wouldn't people then just be crying how it's RNG and how it sucks? Also, don't every class have an ability they use to get out of jails? You'll just have to save the invulnerability for jails, and if you need it before that, then upgrade your gear.

Fact is, it's not meant to be easy to kill elites in the later acts of inferno. They never intended for that. In fact they never ever said anywhere that they intended inferno - any parts of it, let alone acts 3 and 4 - to be farmed. The only times they've referred to inferno have been discussions about how hard it will be to progress through it, and finally kill Diablo.

I doubt you've got 100% perfect gear yet. By 100% perfect I mean 6 affix items with each affix at it's maximum. I doubt you're even at like 80%. This means there's plenty of upgrading to do still. We're a couple months into the game. That's nothing. People had crap in D2 after two months, but D2 was so ridiculously easy you could faceroll it with crap.

I don't like dying either but that's why I stick to act 1. There's absolutely no reason or point whatsoever to be farming acts 2-4, especially if it means dying repeatedly, when in act 1 you don't die ever.
    Don't you love getting Vortex'd into an Arcane sentry like directly in the ball of it? Instant Death hahaha!

10+ Year Old Account
    While some are more challenging, I haven't encountered an impossible affix in weeks. It's all about gear, mate. And tactics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.