Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Balance, where does blizzard get off?

First and foremost, why does blizzard host an alpha cycle, closed beta cycle, then open beta cycle before the game is released and STILL not have balance taken care of? At this point of playing the game we're still beta testing for them while they fine tune and change the game more to their liking while we have paid for a lesser experience and help them iron out the kinks while we play.

Why do classes in Diablo even need to be balanced? Balance is a terrible concept and it does very bland things to a game until everything plays similarly to everything else, balance is the enemy of diversity. Why do items need to be tinkered with as well, and shouldn't THAT have been taken care of before launch too? I cannot believe that a game that puts items up for purchase with real money, can change the stats of those items and completely screw over the buyer.

I think the worst part is that a large part of the endlessly complacent WoW community came over to D3 and defends everything blizzard has done. They are the people that remind you that you only bought the ability to play the game on blizzards servers, they remind you that blizzard has to make money because its a corporation, and lastly they remind you that if you do not like it leave. How can anyone even hope of having a decent game ever rise out of blizzard again if half the community attacks progressive thinking players for not accepting everything they are charged for with a grin and an open wallet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do classes in Diablo even need to be balanced
    Balance is necessary so that all classes can experience all of the content and leave the real success up to your skill, not playing some OP class, or hitting a brick wall with a class that simply can't do what you need it to do.

Deleted
    To quote an angry forum poster in answer to your thread "...if you do not like it leave."

Vote with your feet and go if you don't like it. And then the people who do like it can stay. Everybody wins!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post
    To quote an angry forum poster in answer to your thread "...if you do not like it leave."

Vote with your feet and go if you don't like it. And then the people who do like it can stay. Everybody wins!
    Well that kind of reasoning just leaves nothing that needs to change, to change. If no one is vocal about what problems they'd like to see fixed, nothing gets done.

Balance, in the context Blizzard most commonly uses for D3, doesn't mean parity of either tools or outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Well that kind of reasoning just leaves nothing that needs to change, to change. If no one is vocal about what problems they'd like to see fixed, nothing gets done.
    On the contrary. All the people not playing D3 will find other games to play. Many of those games are already different from D3.

Change can occur without every game changing to be the 1 game everyone thinks that everyone wants to play.

Most consumers seem (underlined to emphasize the generalization) to prefer a "natural selection" model for games.

For example, people play chess and people play checkers. At no point did anyone release a "Chess 2" that had more of the "Checkers" features to make it more popular for the people that play checkers.

The truth of the matter is, leave Chess alone for people that like it, leave Checkers alone for people that like it, leave WoW alone for people that like it, leave D3 alone for people that like it, and let people find games that they do like instead of trying to just change all the ones that don't.

It's sort of like dating someone, finding out they don't have the same habits and interests as you, and instead of finding a new person to date and letting this previous person find someone that is more suitable for them as well, you just yell at them all day about how much they are bad, how you deserve better, and they should change for you, so that you can be happy, while making no compromises or accepting them in any way for who they are.

So, yeah. If you don't like something, find something else, or create something else. It's rude, offensive, and probably unethical to act this way (by which I mean attempting to force others to change to meet your needs instead of changing yourself or making something new). In fact, throughout the world, people call this sort of behavior "childish" in an attempt to shame each other away from acting that way.

Think it over.

EDIT: Furthermore, progress occurs when people create new things, not when everyone sits around bitching at someone else to fix it for them. This is a true fact that many people in the late 20th/early 21st century seem to be very confused about. When you don't like how things are, you should do it yourself and show everyone how it's done. If you think that a game with X, Y, & Z features will be so much better than CoD/WoW/Halo/D3/TES/etc. then get off your butt, make the game, and make yourself a bajillion dollars proving that you were right. That is how change occurs.
    Last edited by LurkerOnly; 2012-07-08 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post
    Why do classes in Diablo even need to be balanced? Balance is a terrible concept and it does very bland things to a game until everything plays similarly to everything else, balance is the enemy of diversity.
    agreed, balance schmalance.
    this fucking obsession with balance is getting on my nerves, especially when there's no pvp involved. ok, so some other guy who plays different class will kill 4 mobs while you kill 3. big fucking deal. just play the game and enjoy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's going to get even worse once the PVP is released.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure how much it would have helped, but having a full beta would have been nice to figure out what to balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    It's going to get even worse once the PVP is released.
    Yeah, and that's my main problem with not releasing it immediately. Once it comes out, there's going to be even more balance issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    They know exactly where they get off. It's their game. You are just along for the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I'm not sure how much it would have helped, but having a full beta would have been nice to figure out what to balance.
    I am pretty sure that the first week after release wouldn't have happened the way it did if they'd let people who actually play these games beta test the whole product. Of course only if they'd actually listen to feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post

I had already paid for the game. So if I left, it would be me losing and blizzard winning. How does that work out to be an "everybody wins" in your logic?

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Balanced is a funny logic in a Diablo game, That's all I'm going to say before I make an essay of how terrible it is.

D I A B L O G A M E A R P G Not an MMO!

@$%#%#@%@^#^#^ -.-

Like literally this is people on the forums official wise - ''WHAAAAAAAAAAA DOUBLE TORNADO BUILD NEEDS TO BE NERFED WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA IT'S AFFECTING ME SO MUCH I DON'T KNOW WHY AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MAKE A FORUM POST ABOUT IT PLEASE NERF IT CUZ IT'S AN MMO ^_6''
    Last edited by Resentful; 2012-07-09 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    They know exactly where they get off. It's their game. You are just along for the ride.
    I knew someone like you would show up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    that is assuming everyone shares your opinions, no game is perfect, past star ocean 2 and FF6 / 7, all the games i've played have had flaws.
    for some people D3 is an amazing game, for some people WoW is, and for others Forza or BF2, CoD or....well you get the point.

this guy also said what i am thinking kind of perfectly in fact
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerOnly View Post
    For example, people play chess and people play checkers. At no point did anyone release a "Chess 2" that had more of the "Checkers" features to make it more popular for the people that play checkers.
    blizzard has bowed down in WoW, making content easier and for more casual people, remember when badges of justice...people getting sunwell gear, without ever stepping into it... and hell, didn't even have to step into a SINGLE raid, to get about halfway raid geared (epics off end bosses in heroics, etc)
    people got over it and found a new thing to complain about.

blizzard has already started the bending over process in D3, making ilvl63 equipment more accessable, nerfing most bosses in Inferno, etc.

so asking for people to stand up, who are a minority compared to the people just happy to play it and enjoying themselves(they have nothing to whine about so don't really post)
    is an issue, it is a problem.
    imo blizzard should learn how to say NO, not bow down to people demanding silly changes, and getting away with it.

that's what has happened in WoW, and now sub numbers are dropping, the people who were happy started being PISSED at the changes made to make the minority happy,
    people like the OP.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Deleted
    sry but ... what need balance in d3? i dont get it

classes are fine and all can do everything - there is only 1 problem Witchdoctor but that need fixes (a lot). i dont see what would need balance

Where does Blizzard get off? They made the game. Boom. Also I like to imagine that your avatar is your nerd rage face you have on right now.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    Dee free makum cave nerds brain hurty.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-07-09 at 02:00 PM.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

Blizz needs to make sure we're having fun the way they intended. If there is suddenly a new way of having fun with their game they didn't intend they must examine it closely and say yay or nay on it. If people are using a skill to breeze through inferno thus having actual FUN with inferno, then it must be nerfed because that's not what they intended. If nobody uses a certain glyph they buff or change it so it's pretty good, suddenly EVERYONE uses it and now they realize they made it too good and they have to nerf it, making it mediocre and leaving a sour taste in everyone's mouths. This is the flaw with every blizzard game and it will remain till the end of time
    Unf - Night Watch - Pagle

Consider the ocean waves, and how the moon's force guides them this way and that across the earth's surface. Human life is an insane coincidence. We are an instance of the universe becoming conscious of itself, yes, old news but always worth review.

Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post
    snip
    Talking about Warcraft(I just can't even bring myself to pretend to care about Diablo anymore), Blizzard has just too many damn classes and specs. And they ALL have to be pvp viable, to use warrior as an example - Blizzard genuinely tries to make Arms, Fury AND Protection actually pvp capable classes. Not possible to achieve a decent level of balance when you have 33 different specializations.

Also, every expansion - after years of tweaking and tuning abilities and numbers - classes are drastically overhauled to provide players with something "new" and combat rating systems are reset.

No point in raging about it anymore, really. Warcraft pvp is utterly broken and has been for some time.

Oh my, I just realized it's Sulfuric. Buddy, you need to find something else to be angry about other than at Blizzard. Get into politics, maybe.