"DOT Construction Signs Hacked To Read 'Impeach Obama'"

"ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Several electronic road construction signs around Anchorage were hacked late Wednesday night or early Thursday morning, according to the state Department of Transportation.

Signs that normally display closure and detour information, like the one on Minnesota Drive near 100th Avenue, were changed to read “Impeach Obama.” That particular sign wasn’t fixed until sometime between 6 a.m. and 8 a.m. Thursday.It happened because DOT says it doesn't lock the boxes on the signs that hold the message control pad.Construction managers say sign-hacking has never happened before, so they never thought to lock the boxes.DOT says that changed this morning, and now all of them will be locked.“I'm sure somebody thought it was a pretty funny joke but we try to convey a lot of important information with these signs,” said Tim Croghan, a regional construction engineer for DOT.Tamara Douglas snapped a picture of the sign message around 6 a.m. Thursday.

“('Impeach Obama') was the only thing that was on the sign,” Douglas said. “It was coming in and out and just said that over and over again.”DOT says anyone caught tampering with construction signs could face charges of criminal mischief, which is a Class A misdemeanor."

-http://articles.ktuu.com/2012-07-05/signs_32555718

So, do you think that they deserved to have the sign hacked for not locking the box in the first place? I mean, you'd think it'd be common sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynta Vali Daseriu View Post
    So, do you think that they deserved to have the sign hacked for not locking the box in the first place? I mean, you'd think it'd be common sense.
    No, but it seems they walked away from it learning something important - which is what really matters.

Some one could have done worse. Whoever was responsible for locking them and didnt should be punished at the least.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Some one could have done worse. Whoever was responsible for locking them and didnt should be punished at the least.
    Nobody was responsible for locking them until it happened. They just assumed nobody would, and left them unlocked. That's an extremely flawed reason not to, when god knows what somebody could put up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    No, but it seems they walked away from it learning something important - which is what really matters.
    I agree with this.

I don't think they deserved it just now they know that they can't be so trusting of the public and have taken steps to ensure that it won't happen again.

I think the message is hilarious!

10+ Year Old Account
    Now all they'll need to worry about are level 85 rogues, 525 blacksmiths and 525 engineers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

A sick joke would have been to put up "the world is ending, repent your sins!" on the sign.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Now all they'll need to worry about are level 85 rogues, 525 blacksmiths and 525 engineers.
    I am curious as to what kind of lock they're using. Does the box itself lock, or is it some form of padlock? People could still get in to change it if they really wanted to, but the average Joe Shmoe can't now, at least.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    A sick joke would have been to put up "the world is ending, repent your sins!" on the sign.
    They completely deserved it... Cause this sort of thing has never happened before! In a much funnier way, mind you.

How soon we all forget...

15+ Year Old Account
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Zombie Apocalypse version was funnier.

And well covered in the news, no less. You'd think they would have all learned.

15+ Year Old Account
    These signs have a little keypad inside, and you can put a lock on them to keep people out, but you can also change the keypad's password. The default password is something like 12345 and most people don't bother to change the password OR lock the box. There are guides out there on how to "hack" these things that don't have any locks and haven't had their default password changed.

There's also ways you can get coke machines to belch out all of their change if their default settings haven't been changed, but that ventures into the realm of theft if you're caught. Then again, changing signs is what, public disturbance?
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2012-07-09 at 04:34 AM.