Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

"Japanese Politicians To Discuss Developing Real-Life Gundams"

"Japan's Liberal Democratic Party will hold a 12 hour broadcast on Nico Nico Live to discuss the formation of a real life Gundam fighter robot.2 members from the party, Masaaki Taira and Hideki Niwa, along with "Mobile Suit Gundam UC" writer Harutoshi Fukui, will hold a panel and speak about the party's plans to create walking humanoid robots like those seen in the popular the anime series Gundam.
    In 2008, the Japan Science and Technology Agency estimated that the cost to build a fully function Gundam-like robot would be $725,000 USD for parts and material. Labor and other costs were not factored into the estimate.
    Taira has held extended discussions in the past about developing piloted humanoid robots through his twitter account. He has also met with Katsuya Kanaoka, a professor of robotics at the Kyoto University, about the development of these machines."

-
    http://www.jpopasia.com/news/japanese-politicians-to-discuss-developing-real-life-gundams::11636.html

Well, I'm curious as to if they're serious or not. I think it'd be a really good step into a lot of really awesome things. Or it could lead to disaster, though I'd prefer it if it didn't. What do you guys think?

I don't know if I trust the Japanese enough with something like that lol!

How can making an extremely intricate and detailed costume be a really good step into a lot of really awesome things or lead to disaster? Pretty sure a costume will most likely not have either of those outcomes; unless in posting this you took it to mean they are going to make Gundam fighting robots that fly around and wage war and shit like in the cartoon for under a million dollars, while at the same time developing a portable power source that is literally the stuff of dreams at this point in time to run the fucking thing.

Honda's ASIMO that walks at less than 1 mile per hour, trips over literally nothing, and has a huge fucking battery on this back (not to mention a teenage child could destroy it in a matter of minutes) - 1 Million dollars + thousands more in maintenance.

XXXG-00W0 Wing Gundam Zero flies through fucking space, beam saber, pile driver shield, has never been documented to trip ever, fusion reactor - 750,000 dollars.
    Last edited by Applenazi; 2012-07-09 at 03:06 AM.

Yeah...I don't see that happening. It would be cool, but other than that, what's the point really? We have aircraft, and we have tanks. I guess I'm just shortsighted in that I don't really see the need for a flying humanoid tank.

Deleted
    If this is real...and if the some how manage to make one even though it seems pretty much impossible...ALL HAIL THE GREAT JAPANESE OVERLORDS!

I wouldnt be at all surprised if they really were talking about the potential of trying to develop something gundam like. if successfuly it would be an undeniable step forward in military technology and what nation doesnt want to have the best military hardware out there if they can afford it. On the other hand I dont expect these talks to actualy go anywhere as I dont believe our level of tech is up to the levels needed to make this a viable option.

Could we build a man pilotable robot? yes we could probably pull that off. Could we make one 10+ stories tall with the ability of flight or at least jumpjet capeability. Maybe but at that size I'm rather dubious about or material tech being up to the task of suporting the weight of the limbs. The amount of thrust needed to get airborn would also be prohibitive. Can we do all that and make it able to jet around and fight like a human martial artist? not a chance, any material we could build it out of would shear apart if placed under the level of stresses the joints would be under.

I dont think any gundam analog we could build in the near future could even match the capability of a main battle tank of today. Sure it would have the novalty factor but there is alot more opertunity for something to break down when you try to build an analog of the human body. While building one would be an intreguing technical task and a good PR stunt makeing it battleworthy is unlikely.

At best something more mechwarior like would probably be a more manageable step forward, those tended to be more ponderous in their movements.
    Last edited by Merendel; 2012-07-09 at 03:03 AM.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Yeah...I don't see that happening. It would be cool, but other than that, what's the point really? We have aircraft, and we have tanks. I guess I'm just shortsighted in that I don't really see the need for a flying humanoid tank.
    From what I can gather from the article in the link provided, the Gundam will most likely be for aesthetic purposes for visitors to come and see, similar to how people go to NYC for the Statue of Liberty. Except, the Gundam will be a "walking robot." Pretty sure there's no intent in turning it into a weapon. As you've mentioned, we have aircraft and tanks already.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponXAnimosity View Post
    From what I can gather from the article in the link provided, the Gundam will most likely be for aesthetic purposes for visitors to come and see, similar to how people go to NYC for the Statue of Liberty. Except, the Gundam will be a "walking robot." Pretty sure there's no intent in turning it into a weapon. As you've mentioned, we have aircraft and tanks already.
    IF its just a PR stunt/attraction then ya I dont see why it couldn't be done. Particularly if most of the robot was just the skeliton designed for slow methodical movements with a gundam facade over the top. they'd never get it moveing like a fighting gundam but if the goal is to just march it around a track or something it could be done.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone wants the young male vote over there. They're crazy about giant robots.

---------- Post added 2012-07-08 at 08:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I don't know if I trust the Japanese enough with something like that lol!

Inb4 American nuclear bomb comment
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    This is hilarious, though I agree with Applenazi. The best they could make would be an elaborate toy; it's not going to be a conflict altering war machine. All in all it's a massive waste of money BUT STILL TOTALLY WORTH IT. God bless the Japanese, where else would 70% of the world's craziest shit come if not from Japan? Bless you, Japan. Bless you.

I don't think a gundam suit would be able to perform better than any current vehicles we have right now. Now an exoskeleton suit akin to iron man would be a much better bet, obviously not flying and all it has, a better comparison I think would be like the power armor from fallout, I believe that would be the next step and kind of matches earlier times from transitioning into full metal armor, which wouldn't be practical now but if it were powered it could be thicker metal with ballistic vests being integrated into the suit, much like how they wore chainmail underneath their suits.

---------- Post added 2012-07-08 at 11:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    IF its just a PR stunt/attraction then ya I dont see why it couldn't be done. Particularly if most of the robot was just the skeliton designed for slow methodical movements with a gundam facade over the top. they'd never get it moveing like a fighting gundam but if the goal is to just march it around a track or something it could be done.
    I believe people already have small bipedal robots with cockpits. Though it could have just been a dream.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaponXAnimosity View Post
    Sure....nobody's going to weaponize a 40-foot-tall walking robot. /sarcasm
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Best of luck to Japan. Wonder how much they will cost when they start to mass market them!

Its been done already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMqcrzbeUVQ

Watch out North Korea.

Can't use them for military purposes, even if the suit allowed it. so if they want to build them for cosplay go ahead.

Deleted
    remember pearl harbor...

Warning: Please don't attempt to derail the thread
    Last edited by Anakso; 2012-07-09 at 04:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolute. Fucking. WIN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Cool, one step closer to my ironman suit :3

related note;
    self power-supplied, walking robot "dog"
    I've no idea what to write here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    Its been done already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMqcrzbeUVQ

Watch out North Korea.
    That's the old one. They took it down at some point for unknown reasons. They want to make another one that can actually be used for more than show.

urban assault? depending on the size