SATA Cable help!

So i bought this hard drive on newegg.com and i can figure out what sata cable i need and i cant seem to find anyone to help if anyne knows please tll me! thank you.

HGST Ultrastar 15K600 0B23661 300GB 15000 RPM 16MB Cache SAS 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Simply go to the store, ask for a serial ata cable. You'll get the standard sata3, which is what you need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved to computer build help

Ive Been to staples Office depot radio shack walmart bestbuy none of them seem to have the SATA cable it seems to be a combination on for power and data but i cant find that anywear i only seen one 22 pin one on newegg and it doesnt fit...

That's a SAS drive not SATA. You need a SAS controller card or return the drive to newegg and get a SATA one.

simply go to the store, ask for a serial ata cable. You'll get the standard sata3, which is what you need.

sas != sata

so if i get a StarTech Model SAS729PW18 18" SAS 29 Pin to SATA Cable with LP4 Power it should work or is there 22 pin versions?

Quote Originally Posted by AceAudrix View Post
    so if i get a StarTech Model SAS729PW18 18" SAS 29 Pin to SATA Cable with LP4 Power it should work or is there 22 pin versions?
    That would only work if your SATA controller supports SAS drives.

10+ Year Old Account
    The plain and simple truth is you don't need a SaS drive for a consumer grade system.
    By the time you buy the required sas controller and get it working it will have cost you just as much as if you would have purchased a high capacity ssd.
    I warned you in your build post last week and you went ahead with it.
    The smart thing to do would be to return it and get a comparable ssd such as the Crucial M4 256GB w/3.5 bracket
    Not only will this be faster but you wont have to buy a potentially expensive or (unreliable/low cost) controller card.