10+ Year Old Account

Process of building your own PC?

Tomorrow i'm going to head to best buy with $1400, of which i'd like to only spend about 700-800. I'm going to take with me the 'Dolphin' build list currently on the front page of MMO champion. I'm just wondering:
    1) Will i likely be able to walk out of their with everything i need?
    2) Will they build the computer for me?
    A) If not, will i have to do it mannually?
    B) Are there any other stores that will perform that service?
    C) How much will said service cost (roughly) from either best buy or somebody else?
    3) Is it even worth building my own computer, when i know so little about the subject?

10+ Year Old Account
    No you wont
    Maybe
    Would be a good idea.
    Maybe
    50-100$
    Absolutely

Best buy is the last place you want to buy parts from. Don't expect them to carry any decent selection of cases and I'm pretty sure they don't even have motherboards or processors, short of the ones already contained in prebuilt machines. Lastly their video card selection is horrible I was there recently and they had lots of several year old cards being sold at prices of less then 6month old cards.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    No you wont
    Maybe
    Would be a good idea.
    Maybe
    50-100$
    Absolutely

Best buy is the last place you want to buy parts from. Don't expect them to carry any decent selection of cases and I'm pretty sure they don't even have motherboards or processors, short of the ones already contained in prebuilt machines. Lastly their video card selection is horrible I was there recently and they had lots of several year old cards being sold at prices of less then 6month old cards.
    They don't carry motherboards or CPUs at least mine don't. If he really wants the parts I would suggest a Fry's Electronics if one is near for all your sexy desires they will even price match any online sales ie (newegg, amazon, etc) Only thing is I believe Fry's is more of a west coast store and Microcenter is out back east. Not sure if they are similar since I have never been to a microcenter but a friend of mind dropped $1500ish at Fry's for a new PC bought all the parts and they assembled it all for an extra $100. Assembling a PC is extremely easy it is like Lego's for grownups but with just more expensive parts. There are a ton of youtube videos you can watch that will take you step by step from out of box to assembly. Just my 2cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    Tomorrow i'm going to head to best buy with $1400, of which i'd like to only spend about 700-800. I'm going to take with me the 'Dolphin' build list currently on the front page of MMO champion. I'm just wondering:
    1) Will i likely be able to walk out of their with everything i need?
    2) Will they build the computer for me?
    A) If not, will i have to do it mannually?
    B) Are there any other stores that will perform that service?
    C) How much will said service cost (roughly) from either best buy or somebody else?
    3) Is it even worth building my own computer, when i know so little about the subject?
    1. No - And you'll probably end up spending more than you want.
    2. Possibly
    A. No - However, it's an extremely easy process and there are tutorials on Youtube that walk you through the process.
    B. Yes - You should be able to easily find a place that builds computers.
    C. Best Buy's services are expensive. I really wouldn't pay more than $50 or so.
    3. YES! - Putting together your own rig is almost always the cheaper way to go, and you can be sure that only quality parts are included.

IMO, going to Best Buy is a terrible idea. The selection is extremely limited, and you'll likely have to settle for something less or visit several stores to find the components you're looking for. The prices are high, significantly higher than you would find online or at other retailers. Also, Amazon does not charge tax on orders delivered to most states in the US. MN is one of these states, I believe, so you could save a nice chunk of money right there. You can sign up for the free month of Amazon Prime (which takes only seconds to opt out of the renewal process) and get free two-day shipping on all of your components. There are several other sites that offer similar benefits.

I suggest that you go to http://pcpartpicker.com/ and put together your desired build. It lists prices for many online retailers. The tool isn't perfect, but it is very helpful for getting organized.

If you really don't want to order online, you best bet is going to be a store like Fry's Electronics or Micro Center. As others have said, they generally have much better prices than Best Buy and definitely have a much more respectable selection of components. I'm fairly certain that these retailers have departments that put together computers, but I honestly don't know for sure. Like I said before, putting a computer is extremely easy and there are thousands of useful tutorials online.