Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    got a dream to make music for people my self here, but whne your family say it like that, dont listen, follow your dream!

Stay strong my freind

you can find some of my songs on soundcloud (in the sig i believe, just click my name after that song and you will find more) mabye we can hook up? depends if you like the music or not ofc

edit: DJ-Laggspike on soundcloud.
    Last edited by mmoc167fc6d419; 2012-07-09 at 11:52 AM.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You'll never be happy living up to other people's standards. Go for it. If your family honestly disowns you over something like "following your dreams" then, well, such is life. Time to find new family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Pursue your dream, also you should rap this song for your family (Specifically the part nearing in on the end with the same thing being repeated).

Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind

1) it's always good to pursue your dreams
    2) understand that an infinitesimal number of entertainers ever make any money doing it
    3) there's a big difference in doing rapping on the weekends and relying on it as a full time career

You should follow your heart. My family was very against many choices I had growing up as well. I dropped out of school to start an internship when I was 16. They didn't like it. I now have my own company as well. They did not like it at the time but when they saw the drive I had they respected it - perhaps not then - but now. Find out what they don't like. It sounds like they have strong feelings but most likely they are ignorant to what rap really means to you. Often times we generally dismiss things we don't like or understand is bad. Your family may be scared of the stereotypes associated with rappers. What you want to be may be completely different than what they think about when they hear the term. Sometimes you have to take the road less traveled. At the end of the day, if your family is in the right head space, their number one goal should be for you to be happy. It is completely normal for us to want our family's approval in our lives. It is a hard decision to go out on one's own without support from those that have supported us our entire lives. If you family is adamant against your decisions be sure to find solid minded friends that can give you the support and encouragement you will need. Examine your motivations and be honest with yourself. As many suggested, take it slow. Don't give up your day job. The minute you *have* to make money from doing something you love is when it becomes less fun and more work. Good luck to you. As someone who does write use the emotions you are feeling to drive your creativity. Many great artists use the conflict and turmoil in their lives to fuel their work.

Best of luck and remember to believe in yourself!

Go for it man. Follow your heart and go after your dreams, and don't let anybody else dissuade you

Deleted
    Buy a good microphone then get a youtube channel started, this way has no risk to you or your business. If you make it big, great! If you fail you are only out of pocket by a microphone.

PS, you are black arent you?

Considering that you're acting responsible and have your back covered with job, go ahead and pursue what you want to do. If you have good family and they'll accept it in time (and maybe will be proud in the end as well).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    PS, you are black arent you?
    Haha, oh Rich... Any who I am going to be the buzzkill. DO. NOT. DO. IT. I wanted to be a journalist but my family said I would never get an internship at a newspaper - they were right. By all means go ahead if you can rap though, just be prepared not to be a success. The rap market is so homogenised at the moment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwaarg View Post
    Haha, oh Rich... Any who I am going to be the buzzkill. DO. NOT. DO. IT. I wanted to be a journalist but my family said I would never get an internship at a newspaper - they were right. By all means go ahead if you can rap though, just be prepared not to be a success. The rap market is so homogenised at the moment.
    I am serious, it makes me cringe when I see a young white rapper thinking he is really good. Especially those coming from wealthy or privileged backgrounds.

Deleted
    I am serious, it makes me cringe when I see a young white rapper thinking he is really good. Especially those coming from wealthy or privileged backgrounds.
    I won't lie, I can't name any good white rappers. But that does not mean you have to be black to be a good rapper :<

Deleted
    I won't lie, I can't name any good white rappers. But that does not mean you have to be black to be a good rapper :<
    I agree that you do not have to be black to rap, but OP graduated school at 14 and owns his own successful business and house at 18. It hardly screams of hardship and poverty, which is what most modern rap is about.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2012-07-09 at 12:32 PM.

Deleted
    Well sooner or later we all rebel against our parents. If you have something to fall on, why not? I'm sure they'll turn arround, explain it to them that its your dream, if however they wish to deown you for chasing that dream then well, I'd use the what kind of shitty parents are you argument.

18 and leading a small company... damn bro
    Last edited by mmoc9bd6f2dd60; 2012-07-09 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    You have a pretty shitty family. Sorry.
    QFT. Your family sound like dicks to try to crush your dream like that, especially at such a young age. Fuck em

10+ Year Old Account
    I would follow my dreams. Screw your family.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    eminem...also only rapper i can really stomach

and to op dont wanna sound redundant but do it man...and IF you do hit it big fuck the family when they come crawling back you know all they want is in the limelight and your money

im glad SOME ONES trying to rap about something real other then CRYSTAAAAAL niggas bitches drugs and gangs.....oh late 80s n early 90s rap where art thou
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    sometimes when im alone i like to cover myself in vaseline and pretend im a slug
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I like to glue my thumbs to my nipples and pretend I'm a T-Rex.

Deleted
    I agree that you do ot have to be black to rap, but OP graduated school at 14 and owns his own successful house and business at 28. It hardly screams of hardship and poverty, which is what most modern rap is about.
    I see your point and have to agree. Good show. OP do a bit of pimping, deal some drugs and murder a guy (Preferably da pohlice). Seriously though I would suggest against your current plans.

Deleted
    Get professional help. Go to a studio and perform a demo, or imitation of a rap, see if you even have it in you to start with. It might be your dream, but try watch American Idol, a lot of those people who can't sing have a dream too, but they just can't fulfill it.
    Find out if you have potential, let other people hear your voice, because you might create the illusion that you can actually sing / rap.
    And this can be done before you cut the roots to your life as it is now

And whats with black / white rapper hating?
    Eminem, Mac Miller, Beastie Boys, Aesop Rock, Chris Palko...
    All white succesful rappers. Just because black rap is what you see the most doesn't mean whites can't rap, and won't have success. They might just appeal to a different market.
    Last edited by mmoc4247c98170; 2012-07-09 at 12:41 PM.

I agree that you do not have to be black to rap, but OP graduated school at 14 and owns his own successful business and house at 18. It hardly screams of hardship and poverty, which is what most modern rap is about.
    Fuck "most modern rap". You know, "most rock" used to be about sex and drugs until grunge came along.

First thing first: if you want to rap, rap.
    However, what is it your family really opposes? Rap as a style? Controversial lyrics? Or is there some opportunity cost - ie, do you plan to try to rap instead of going to college or somesuch?
    Finally, rap because you want to - thinking it will help anyone is a delusion. If you want to help people, give blood, study immunology, deliver food to the homeless, join the peace corps, etc. Or else just do what you want without feeling you have to justify it in that fashion.