Poll: Is this griefing on Pvp servers?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demetrion View Post
    Nothing of what you have stated is a griefing. PVP server means PLAYER VERSUS PLAYER which means you need to be ready to get attacked always.

No exceptions!

You are leveling an alt, i'll kill you and camp you if I'm into it even if your alt is 70 lvls lower than you, you're a player so am I. You have logged to check your auctions, I will kill you, you are in your city you have your guards, if you ca't defend yourself with them, not my problem. You have mobs on you, sure thing you're dead if I'm near. You're low on health and no cooldowns? Even better.

You rolled on a pvp server for a reason. I don't care if your friends play there so you joined for them. You knew the risks now deal with them. Whoever reports players to GM-s because they are being ganked should just uninstall the game.

You summed it pretty well.

Killing someone 30 levels under you is generally seen as Pathetic by the rest of us. Haven't you ever seen a movie were the combatant drops their blade and the other guy hands it back to him. Were's your honor?
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

I'd say only the camping could count as griefing, but only if it goes on for an extended period of time. If after an hour, you're still being camped, then it's crossing a line. That said, you should have switched characters a while ago, went afk to grab a soda/bio break, or something. I know being told to go do something else sucks, but if you have pvp enabled, be prepared for another player to kill you.

15+ Year Old Account
    If I have mobs on me and I'm at low health and my cooldowns aren't up it's griefing.
    Its not only griefing, it fucking pathetic, then some other pvper comes along and defending it calling it "world pvp", those times i wanna kick someone in the throat
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Speaking as someone on a PvP server:

I would only count high level vs low level -> camping the low level... That IS griefing and should be reported as such.
    Anything other than that is fair game.
    Lol, you can't report that, pvp on a pvp server, deal with it. There is no way someone can keep killing you without you getting away if you're a decent player, even if you are far lower. Some kind of self

I remember in Vanilla, I said to someone "I hate alliance" and they said to me "don't roleplay", they were on a pve server, they will never understand the war in warcraft.
    Last edited by Riavan; 2012-07-10 at 12:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no honor on the internet, simply put if you are on a PVP (Player Versus Player) server you SHOULD expect the worse. I do every time I log in, only difference is I love to PVP so if someone ganks my low level I end up finding and killing them even if it makes going to Stormwind. That and having friends helps

I rolled on a PVP server just to do everything you mentioned, I have farmed low levels and ganked people mid quest. I have killed their quest givers, profession/class trainers and flight path npcs. I have gotten friends to do this with me just for our own amusement, sometimes we bite off more than we can chew but the only time we are really in trouble is when we are outnumbered (4 of us and 7+ of them). A boat load of people have threatened and actually reported me and guess what? I haven't been banned or received any sort of warning at all. Hell in TB we graveyard farm people and some people a few us of us have farmed for a good 10-20 minutes every time the GY resurrects the player(s).

None of those things are griefing

HOWEVER

Blizzard needs to fix a bunch of them so that they're more fun. Currently the game plays out as "attacked by someone who is wearing PVP gear and in a PVP spec when you're not? Well, guess you'd better give up trying to play then!" and it looks like the next expansion will just make that worse, with an even greater divide between PVP gear and spec and non PVP gear and spec. Similar things go for high/low level, and the artificial flying mount restrictions mean you can't even run away.

I think there are situations where corpse/GY camping could be considered griefing - largely when it's persistent over multiple days for no apparent reason.

How I play the game:
    I'll hit anyone I want. But that doesn't mean I'll hit everyone. If I'm wandering through a low-level area, and I see a lowbie, I'll often make a bee-line towards them. If they start running, I'll chase them for a bit, chuckling - but won't hit them. If they instead stand there and stare at me, expecting that I won't touch them because I'm 85 and they're 20, then I'll probably hit them, just to remind them that they're on a pvp server, and SHOULD be running I'll only kill someone once though - it's only to remind them where they're playing. I don't think people "faction-hate" enough...You SHOULD want to kill the other person just for being there. And if you're lower level, you SHOULD be scared and run. If you behave accordingly, then you'll probably survive. But if you run to the safety of guards/guildies/etc, and then start taunting? You bet I'll charge into the group just to smack you down for being one of "those" people, even if I die in the process.
    Some days, I may be in a good mood, and leave people alone - or if they're obviously on a quest I hated, I might take pity on them. But there's no guarantees. At least you won't get camped by me though (if you're lower level).

Now, if it's same level, then it's a different story. I don't care about your gear, I don't care what you're doing, I don't care about your cooldowns or health. I don't care about your home life, I don't care about your guild, your gender, anything. I see you, I kill you or die trying. I see you again, I kill you or die trying. I generally won't camp you though. Depends on the person's attitude...e.g. if they keep ninja-ing mining/herb nodes, dragging mobs to me, etc, then they may get hunted 'til they log. If I see someone camping someone else, then I'll camp back.

Some people irritate me enough to make my "kill on sight" list. But most people? I'll only initiate combat once. There is no honour in camping, but the occasional person does something to deserve it, so they may get it, honourable or not!

Most MMOs with true, open-world PvP action gives increasing penalties for attacking someone at an obvious disadvantage (mostly large level difference).

Griefing doesn't exist on PvE servers because any and all Player vs Player interaction is purely optional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by cortelas View Post
    If you are poorly geared then you should expect people to come after you. If you take damage from 85 mobs then you should thank the person who killed you for sparing your repair costs.

Corpse camping is gone with flying mounts. As much as people like to bash on flying mounts, It has make world pvp a lot better by letting people choose whether they want to pvp.
    ITT: People saying flying mounts made world pvp a lot better.

/facepalmdeskforeheadsmash

---------- Post added 2012-07-10 at 02:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    If I have mobs on me and I'm at low health and my cooldowns aren't up it's griefing.
    Its not only griefing, it fucking pathetic, then some other pvper comes along and defending it calling it "world pvp", those times i wanna kick someone in the throat
    Instead of wanting to hurt someone in real life, why not take out your frustrations on some pixels in an online computer game? Go kill the bastards that killed you!

---------- Post added 2012-07-10 at 02:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Saeviomage View Post
    None of those things are griefing

HOWEVER

Blizzard needs to fix a bunch of them so that they're more fun. Currently the game plays out as "attacked by someone who is wearing PVP gear and in a PVP spec when you're not? Well, guess you'd better give up trying to play then!" and it looks like the next expansion will just make that worse, with an even greater divide between PVP gear and spec and non PVP gear and spec. Similar things go for high/low level, and the artificial flying mount restrictions mean you can't even run away.
    If you're not in PVP gear and PVP spec when out in the world, you're doing it wrong. L2P. If your guild requires two PVE specs on a PVP server, then roll in groups or learn to deal. Little miss special snowflake.

Message Deleted
    Last edited by reboot-me; 2012-12-05 at 07:05 PM.

According to the ToS, attacking someone on a pvp server is never considered griefing.

I voted for corpse camping, because I consider that griefing. I'd also consider it harassment.

Why do people grief? That's a great question. Maybe the person is just a douchebag irl. Maybe they are upset about something and want to see others suffer. Maybe the person can't compete with people at their own level. Maybe they're pvers in heroic gear who get off to punishing pvpers. Who knows. It's pretty sad though either way.
    Last edited by Evelyn; 2014-08-06 at 11:24 PM.

Its never griefing if you know when to stop.

killing the same person over and over due to whatever reason. Is greifing. If that person should be on a pvp server is another matter

Quote Originally Posted by Aoibhe View Post
    According to the ToS, attacking someone on a pvp server is never considered griefing.

I voted for corpse camping, because I consider that griefing. I'd also consider it harassment.

Why do people grief? That's a great question. Maybe the person is just a douchebag irl. Maybe they are upset about something and want to see others suffer. Maybe the person can't compete with people at their own level. Maybe they're pvers in heroic gear who get off to punishing pvpers. Who knows. It's pretty sad though either way.
    They do it to get a rise of out of people and so they can laugh at posts like this.

But there is no such thing as griefing on a pvp server. Log off, play pve.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    They do it to get a rise of out of people and so they can laugh at posts like this.

But there is no such thing as griefing on a pvp server. Log off, play pve.
    You can shrug off being camped, but it's still an inconvenience. Whether people will admit it or not, it does cause aggravation. I'm posting because I have an opinion on the matter. Does this mean I'm mad? No.

They may find it funny, but their behavior is childish and unpleasant. If anything, I think I feel pity for them.

I really like it when people say "Killing lowbies isn't PvP!" yes... yes it is. Player vs Player, that's what it is.
    None of that if griefing. The only thing maybe I'd say is if they add you on bnet after you kill them and constantly harass you. Then again it'll be under harassment more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Corpse Camping is douchetastic. It's really the only thing I find really distasteful. If someone's killing me while questing, they're probably eliminating competition for quest drops or resources of some kind. Perfectly reasonable, even if it does make my life harder.