Deleted

Question about i5-2500k integrated graphics.

Hello,
    I was using Intel HD 3000 for few months now, after buying new computer without graphics card, with intention to upgrade in future and using this integrated graphics in the meantime. I was actually quite surprised with its performance, especially after overclocking it. (I was able to play Skyrim and Witcher 2 on that with solid FPS :-) ). Now I am finally getting standalone GPU, but i wanted to see what is Intel HD 3000 really capable of, before putting it to rest:-)
    My question is: can overclocking Intel HD 3000 cause damage on CPU unit? I only overclocked it slightly, because i was worried about my CPU, can it even affect it?

The HD4000 on the new 3Rd Gen chips is actually a decent low end card too.

Because the gfx chip is integrated on the Die (see pic) if you damaged that it could cause damage tot he I/O sub systems of the CPU and that would be bad.

Deleted
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: You need to actually try if you want to damage a modern computer unit through overclocking. There's temperature and voltage fail-safes that prevent any direct damage in 99% of cases, especially when it comes to modern CPUs and GPUs. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful though.

Deleted
    Ok, thanks for answers, i think i will just leave my graphics core rest in peace, idea of destroying most expensive part of my PC just for that is terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: You need to actually try if you want to damage a modern computer unit through overclocking. There's temperature and voltage fail-safes that prevent any direct damage in 99% of cases, especially when it comes to modern CPUs and GPUs. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful though.
    I want to back this up. First time I tried overclocking my CPU my computer would shut itself down immediately before it was damaged. Course, I was steadily going up from 3.3 and at 4.6Ghz it would stay on for a bit, then it would just shut down. You could feel how hot it got, too.