Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Rift, worth starting again?

When I hit level 50, which is a REALLY long time ago now. There were like 0 endgame content..

So, now it has been quite a while and I am thinking that they should have added new stuff by now.

So would anyone of you recommend me starting again? Or is the new content not worth trying out ?

Try it. There is a lot of content out right now. PvP is a bit absurd at the moment, but the PvE is nice. Experts are very easy, minus the few "master" dungeons, which are a fair bit harder.

There has never been "zero" endgame content in Rift. It is the most robustly updated current MMO on the market. The notion of a lack of endgame content at any time is both false and absurd.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/game/updates/conquest.php
    http://rift.ign.com/wiki/Category:Patch_Notes

I would say Rift is the only current MMO worth the subscription price if you are a primarily PVE interested player. PVE is well designed and of exceptional quality. There isn't a month that goes by which Rift fails to provide a new addition of some kind.

If PVP is your thing.. um. Well, to be honest PVP sucks in Rift.

PVE is Trion's "thing", so to speak.

Deleted
    Fencers, When did you hit 50? :P Trust me there was lacking loads of endgame material xD

Yes, PvP was just laughable. But I didnt care much about PvP anyway so that was ok. for me at least ;P

So to me it sounds like they actually have added loads then? :P I'll give it a shot later this month.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlexpro View Post
    Fencers, When did you hit 50? :P Trust me there was lacking loads of endgame material xD

Yes, PvP was just laughable. But I didnt care much about PvP anyway so that was ok. for me at least ;P

So to me it sounds like they actually have added loads then? :P I'll give it a shot later this month.
    Better check for yourself, HK and Infernal Dawn are hard to miss, and Akyllios + Laethys are both excellent fights to watch.

I first hit 50 about a week after Rift's launch. The game launched with 10~ level 50 dungeons, a bunch of 10 man open world raids and 20 man instance raid.

Within a month of release Rift had a second instanced raid, new game systems and roughly a month & 1/2 later 10 man slivers and so on.

Patch history was linked twice. Here is a third; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rift_%2...ontent_updates

There has never been a lack of endgame content at any time in Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I first hit 50 about a week after Rift's launch. The game launched with 10~ level 50 dungeons, a bunch of 10 man open world raids and 20 man instance raid.

Within a month of release Rift had a second instanced raid, new game systems and roughly a month & 1/2 later 10 man slivers and so on.

Patch history was linked twice. Here is a third; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rift_%2...ontent_updates

There has never been a lack of endgame content at any time in Rift.
    +1. been raiding since release.

edit: to answer your question though, the game is completely different from when you played. a geared level 50 back in the day is about the same as a fresh 50. don't expect to get into ID the day you come back. and yes it's worth checkin out again.
    Last edited by DDazzle; 2012-07-10 at 12:59 AM.
    Experience is the best teacher.. if you can afford the tuition.

You use a very generic definition of end game without defining your debate very well. I am PRETTY sure you mean complex end game like Arena/BG's/Raid progression. If this is what you mean then you are clearly right because Rift did not launch with solid pvp to go with the solid pve.

Neither did WoW, but that argument is like yelling at a brick wall when it comes to explaining shit to people in this genre. By your definition GW2 does not have end game either because they have solid pvp, but weak pve because they chose to get rid of organized raiding.

Rift has by far surpassed any other mmo out currently with content released and the expansion is pretty well on pace to beat out some of the better old school EQ stuff released content wise.

None of this really matters because mmorpg players have proven themselves to be sheep able to be herded and steered like mindless fools who do not think for themselves, but are led by the few.

Rift will keep putting out content faster then any dev in the genre even if they were down to one server because Trion gives a shit and other devs very clearly do not. Just wish people had brand loyalty to Trion like they do when it comes to riding Blizzards nuts.

The fact that a non sub fee single player rpg called Diablo 3 had any effect whatsoever on this game has basically killed any faith I had in the mmorpg player base being competent and wanting more from devs besides the same tired shit of content releases once every 6 months and corporate manipulation of the player base for only profit.

TL'DR: Go try the trial and stop relying on other peoples opinions or admit you are a sheep

What does Diablo 3 have to do with this.... /confusion

Deleted
    What does Diablo 3 have to do with this.... /confusion
    I think he is saying "it doesn't matter how much trion tries, mmo community today sucks".

It is strike 2 after his pesimistic declaration in the european supercluster thread

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-servers/page3

All i wanna say To Puremallace is, don't let those that do things you don't like put you down, there are others, that offer positive feedback and vibe still around, that make you feel well for playing an MMO RPG vs a Diablo RPG/Shooter type of a game.
    Last edited by mmoc4cbbce03d2; 2012-07-10 at 07:10 AM.

Hm. Well, that kinda doesn't explain what Diablo 3 has to do with anything here. D3 is not an MMO. Can't understand why D3 would have any larger an impact on an MMO than like Skyrim or whatever the new shooter/assassin/gangster game du jour is.

Seems kinda bizarre and out of left field.

Deleted
    It was a chain reaction, me personally i didn't like either, a chain of events that happened lately, but i know that a part of the community, will always react in an improper manner.

1) Easier ID than hard cores wished up until Laethys, whinning.
    2) Bugs (according to those that did the encounter, i don't have a first clue), on Laethys fight, whinning and threatening to quit.
    3) Bugs again, this time on Maelforge encounter regarding the boss landing to start last phase. One of the same with Laethys.
    4) Diablo 3 launches. Huge impact on MMO's, not only Rift. Certain people including myself, didnt like that people were coming for the raids half arsed. I still raid in WoW (Gl so hard to quit) and we were on spine heroic progress when Diablo launched. Now we re still on Spine heroic progress, due to HUGE amount of afks after this game went live. Me personally, can have it for free. Tryed beta, never downloaded the full game.
    5) New Conquest PvP, smt very hyped, and very promising has bugs. Again a backlash of whinning.
    6) The decision to turn 3 english servers into trials without closing the already overpopulated Icewatch to transfer, jumms Icewatch completely. People have to go through lag spikes during conquest and ability lag and on top of that queues almost every night. Here the player base in official forums went really low. Many blaming Trion, many threatening to quit, many old icewatch players asking from the new ones to gtfo so they can have "their" server playable again.

If i suspect well all those things affected Puremallace that was and is quite invested into the game.
    If you focus just on the diablo comment, well that is a part of the hole picture.

In my honest opinion, those are the symptoms of a company still new in the market that honestly strives to offer the best things to their customers, without extra profit.
    The amount of new content being released, and i am not refering to raids only, is stuggering.
    The free transfers being offered as standard customer service while others are gaining huge profit, for the same excactly service
    The tangible -in game- proof that company takes under consideration CURRENT customer's feedback and doesn't try to change the game to attract potentially people from other segments of the market (self entitled "paying customers", minors that are used to console games etc).

This game, is a game worth investing time in, and worth being patient, because even the mistakes you know that are happening because of the company honestly trying to deliver, not because of lazyness, or cutting down costs policy, or streamlining the game attempts.
    And a healthy portion of the community, is excactly what an older game with some previous experience in mmo's would dream of.
    As some people are bitching in official forums about the situation in icewatch, others are offering to migrate with their entire guilds to make the situation better for all.

Both the community and the company that runs this game, are the best you can wish for, as a gamer.

So, what i am going to do is to sit back and enjoy, in Blightweald, while hoping that those people in Icewatch that play the game for long and are bonded with people in that shard, will see their problems being resolved

I would say there looks to be loads more end game content than at launch. I am still way off level 50 so haven't experienced any of it yet as a new player but from the looks of it now compared to what I saw in beta there is almost an overwhelming amount of content for a new or returning player.

The end game content in Rift is huge - and expanding fast, and to take full advantage of everything Rift has to offer is best played with friends. Rift is a modern day community RPG, and it sticks closely to the MMO part of the genre.

WoW is Modern WoW, and I left before I even knew about Rift. It's an RPG which feels less MMO these days than it did originally.

IF you prefer to play on your own more often than not, and just jump in with strangers. Then both actually work, but WoW does it better.

IF you prefer to experience a real MMORPG driven by it's community (almost like the origins of this genre) and make new friends and play with existing friends. Then that would be Rift without a shadow of a doubt. Rift, in my opinion gives the younger generation and those who missed out on the birth of MMO's a chance to start experiencing it first hand.

Just take the official forums with a pinch of salt, they're full of knee jerk reactions, personal opinions and people stating stuff without facts. But, there is some useful info there. Believe that's the case with most official forums though.

I bought Rift at launch, but didn't get past the 1st month, too much time spent in WoW to throw it all away.

That was until I saw the live stream at E3.

So here we have an mmo which throws content patches at you every 1-3 months and able to develop an expansion at the same time. Looking at you Blizzard. I am now finally done with Blizz and will be moving to Rift. 2 things I regret, not staying with Rift since launch and annual pass.

Since blizzard launched 4.3, Trion has released 4 major content patches, with at least 1 more to come before Storm Legion.

In this interview they state that since the players pay every month they need to get content every month.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTKQk...eature=related

Here is a list of features that have been added/changed since launch, taken from http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...s-changed.html

Code:
    1.0 Hotfixes
    Raid rifts -- new rifts aimed at raid-sized groups.
    Locations can be linked in chat.
    Coin lock feature (When logging in from a new computer or such, you get emailed a code; until you enter it, you can't do anything that destroys your stuff or removes money from your characters.)
    Mobile authenticator added for Android and iOS.

Patch 1.1
    First world event (world event mechanics added).
    Video capture, complete with YouTube uploading.
    Unmerge option for public groups.
    Rift contribution is no longer measured against other players.

1.1 Hotfixes
    Self-cast modifier key added.
    River of Souls event bonus pack for characters who existed prior to the event.
    River of Souls raid open.
    Change to AFK logic; if there's no queue, you can be idle for a very long
    time without getting kicked.

Patch 1.2
    LFG tool added (same-shard only; this changes later)
    Wardrobe slots (cosmetic equipment)
    Crafting rifts -- new rifts that reward crafting materials
    "Slivers" and quantum/omen sight added.
    New "sliver" raid added, enterable only with those abilities.
    New diminishing returns design for CC in PvP.
    Experts retuned for LFG, and to stop requiring second healers.
    PvP rank adjustments.

1.2 Hotfixes
    LFG instance ranges increased.
    Item sellback and purchase confirmation added.

Patch 1.3
    Guild banks.
    Character transfers added! Character transfers are free, once per character per seven days.
    AH remembers recently-used prices.

1.3 Hotfixes
    "Trial shards" introduced.
    "Exposed" removed.
    Bind-to-Account vouchers for planar currencies.
    Most event currency made Bind-to-Account.
    Hammerknell Raid now open.

Patch 1.4
    PvP rifts added.
    LFG goes cross-shard.
    New sliver raid (Drowned Halls)
    Alternate-mode warfront feature added.
    Water Saga epic quest chain added.
    Quest items stored in separate quest bag.
    BoP items tradeable to eligible characters for 30 minutes.
    Soul Quests removed (souls are now purchased)
    Synergy Crystals added (they give soul-specific set bonuses from armor sets)
    PvP ranks 7 and 8.
    "Take All" button for mailbox.
    New crafting cooldowns.
    Apothecaries can salvage planar essences.

1.4 Hotfixes
    Can stay mounted in more of Meridian or Sanctum.
    Taskbar icon flashes when message boxes pop up.
    Vengeance stat added for PvP, Valor retuned.

Patch 1.5
    Chronicles (solo/duo instances) added.
    Veteran rewards added (subscription-length bonuses).
    Planar Attunement (post-50 advancement).
    Master-mode dungeons.
    New warfront, Library of the Runemasters.
    Introduction of addon API.
    Ancient wardstones removed.

1.5 Hotfixes
    All zone event sourcestone is now purple, drop rates and costs retuned.

Patch 1.6
    Ember Isle -- a new zone for well-geared 50s.
    New dungeon, Caduceus Rise (actually more than one instance).
    Fae Yule world event.
    New sliver raid, Rise of the Phoenix.
    90% mounts adjusted to level 30, not 40.
    Addons can manipulate inventory.
    Foraging and mining of some mob corpses.

1.6 Hotfixes
    Instant Adventure -- LFG-like open-world adventure for 45+.
    Mail to your own characters on same account regardless of faction.
    Auction House is also cross-faction.
    Rift Mobile app (access to guild chat from smart phones/tablets) for iOS.

Patch 1.7
    Massive revamp of PvP ranks and gear.
    Massive itemization revamp at 45+.
    T1/T2 experts combined into a single tier.
    "Purpose" system provides soul templates to help newbies to a role.
    In-game weddings.
    Master-mode Caduceus Rise.
    River of Souls chronicle.
    6th role slot.
    "Mercenary" system reassigns players to opposite side in warfronts to reduce queue times.
    Wardrobes have individual settings for equipment visibility.
    Crafting uses bank items.
    HUGE volume of UI updates -- seriously, read the patch notes for these.
    XP lock -- you can disable XP gain. (Removed in 1.9)

1.7 Hotfixes
    Guild bankers added in crafting areas of capitals.
    Change to Target Nearest behavior.
    Item comparison tooltips show stat comparisons.
    Equipment visibility on the non-wardrobe wardrobe slot.
    Ember Isle restricted to level 48+.
    Ember Isle added to the "only one event" group of Ironpine
    Peak, Shimmersand, Stillmoor.

Patch 1.8
    Infernal Dawn (new 20-player raid).
    Fishing and Survival skills.
    Guild Finder.
    Leaderboards.
    Instant Adventure on Ember Isle.
    Seals (a new inventory slot, exclusively crafted).
    New max-level crafting quests.
    Anti-Planar Augmentation and Holy Champion replaced with a new Fury of the Ascended power.
    Many pet graphics updated.
    Debuffs have a new priority system to prevent weaker debuffs from overriding stronger debuffs.
    New recipes to refine 20 of a material at a time.
    Addon-style @ specifiers work even if you don't use addons.
    Non-party-leaders can recommend players for invitations.
    "Usable" at the Auction House now filters out already-known recipes.
    Many more UI tweaks and improvements, QoL changes, and so on.

1.8 Hotfixes
    Nameplates added! New settings. Color is based on the colors that unit names were drawn in.
    Streaming client; you can now play before a patch is fully downloaded.
    Porticulum cost changes (in-zone ports are always cheap).

Patch 1.9
    Conquest: New three-way PvP for level 50s.
    Mentoring: Starting at level 15, you can artificially lower your level, whether solo or in a group.
    Instant Adventure expanded to Silverwood, Freemarch, Gloamwood, and Stonefield.
    Queueing for "random adventure" may mentor you to put you in a low-level group.
    Barbershop! Basically, recustomization of appearance other than race or sex.
    New raid sliver, Primeval Feast. Harder than RotP.
    PvP ranks increased to 50, along with new armor and such.
    World event.
    Optional icons showing what NPCs do.
    XP locking feature removed (replaced by mentoring).
    Cross-shard friend and chat functionality; you can send tells to Character@Shard, and you can join Channel@Shard private channels. Public channels are not cross-shard.
    Daily quests for fishing and survival, additional features and functionality.
    Improvements to the 300-skill crafting quests.
    Cut/copy work in the chat input field.
    World Event currencies that recur moved to the Currency tab.
    Many addon API improvements.

Hm. Well, that kinda doesn't explain what Diablo 3 has to do with anything here. D3 is not an MMO. Can't understand why D3 would have any larger an impact on an MMO than like Skyrim or whatever the new shooter/assassin/gangster game du jour is.

Seems kinda bizarre and out of left field.
    Welcome to my world of trying to use logic to explain why single player games have any effect on mmo's. Only thing I can guess is D3 is f2p and the world economy is in a downturn, so people are cost cutting.

Puremallance, your logic is horrible because Diablo is not free-2-play.

Let's compare:

Rift: March 1st, 2011 to Present - 9 Patches. 7 new raids of a total 45 new bosses. 2 'new' warfronts (including Whitefall: Avalanche), PvP Rifts. Conquest. New L50 Zone. New T2 Raid Rifts. Onslaughts. 2 Master Mode Dungeons. 4 (Including the solo) Chronicles. Instant Adventures. Almost monthly World Events. RiftConnect. Ingame Youtube Recording/Posting. Addons. About 200 different reskinned turtle mounts. Removal of PvP Souls. Conversion of PvP ranks from 6, to 8, to 40 to currently, 50 ranks. Moblie Authenticators for Smart Phones. Guild Banks. Free Character Transfers. Free Guild Transfers. Cross Shard LFG. Planar Attunement. Rift Mobile. Weddings. 2 new Professions: Fishing and Survival. Nameplates. Mentoring. Barbershop. Coin Lock.

WoW: March 1st, 2011 to Present - 3 patches. 2 new raids of a total 13 new bosses. LFR. Transmog. 5 dungeons, 3 of them 'new' content, 2 are rehashed old 60/70 raids. Darkmoon Faire revamp. Firelands Daily Questzone. Paid Guild Transfers. Guild Leader Swap After 6mos of Inactivity.

If we're comparing Rift to the 'top' MMO, in terms of Subscribers, am I painting a picture yet on which one gives you more content?!

There's also the matter of Rift also has had like 4 patches since WoW got 4.3.

[E] Posting Rift's list just made me laugh at all those who have the balls to whine about Conquest atm. Seriously, look at all that content, and if you still have the urge to whine about one let-down, you're pretty pathetic.
    Last edited by willowe; 2012-07-10 at 07:37 PM.

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

10+ Year Old Account
    *Schaapa likes the above post*
    Surrounded by idiots

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    Let's compare:

Rift: March 1st, 2011 to Present - 9 Patches. 7 new raids of a total 45 new bosses. 2 'new' warfronts (including Whitefall: Avalanche), PvP Rifts. Conquest. New L50 Zone. New T2 Raid Rifts. Onslaughts. 2 Master Mode Dungeons. 4 (Including the solo) Chronicles. Instant Adventures. Almost monthly World Events. RiftConnect. Ingame Youtube Recording/Posting. Addons. About 200 different reskinned turtle mounts. Removal of PvP Souls. Conversion of PvP ranks from 6, to 8, to 40 to currently, 50 ranks. Moblie Authenticators for Smart Phones. Guild Banks. Free Character Transfers. Free Guild Transfers. Cross Shard LFG. Planar Attunement. Rift Mobile. Weddings. 2 new Professions: Fishing and Survival. Nameplates. Mentoring. Barbershop. Coin Lock.

WoW: March 1st, 2011 to Present - 3 patches. 2 new raids of a total 13 new bosses. LFR. Transmog. 5 dungeons, 3 of them 'new' content, 2 are rehashed old 60/70 raids. Darkmoon Faire revamp. Firelands Daily Questzone. Paid Guild Transfers. Guild Leader Swap After 6mos of Inactivity.
    I think you have just won the Intraweb Willowe