Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

What I want from Star Wars to resub

I was one of the people who was eagerly awaiting the release of SWToR and then was disappointed by how the game turned out.
    I still hope BW will make some changes that will make the game worth playing. Here's what I think would be great. This is my personal opinion only:

1) Make space come to life -
    The space missions in SWToR were the biggest disappointment for me. I think for the next expac BW should make space a priority. Ships should be bought for credits and upgrades should be drops from space bosses which you fight using your ships in space or by stripping enemy ships you just destroyed in glorious PvP bouts involving hundreds of players teamed up. In a nutshell, take the idea of space from Eve and integrate it into SWToR.
    Space is what makes this MMO stand out from the rest and it seems to have been neglected completely. While some people would enjoy the 'on-rails' set up you get currently, just the thought of PvP space battles where 40-100 ships gun it out is exhilarating. Big, unforgiving bosses (example crystal entity from star trek universe or some things like that) which have to be taken on by raids comprised of ships would also give the PvE crowds something to work on. There would also be bosses which hide deep inside asteroid fields etc, so not only do you have to kill the boss..you have to navigate your way to it. I could go on and on but it's the universe, there is no limit to how much can be done if space was open and alive.

2) Art and architecture needs to be more space-y
    No places in SWToR have the wow factor. I mean look at alderaan in the movies, it's breathtakingly pretty but in the game it just does'nt feel as well done. When one is talking about planets, let the imaginations run wild. Have architecture and art that actually feels like one is going into alien worlds. All buildings do not need to have the same basic concept, variations are good.
    For example Hoth needs to be frozen but it can also have some great ancient ice castle carved out of rock and ice and has sporadic vegetation that thrives in ice climate etc.
    Going forward, the new planets must feel alien and have the kind of effect that one got when you went into nagrand for the first time or when you flew to the top of the temple of storms in storms peaks or how netherstorm had such a unique alien feel.

3) It's a space game, it makes sense that I should have a flying mount/ship to fly on planets.
    Seriously this is a no-brainer.

4) Give us the basic features and give 'em to us asap
    Dual-spec, macros, mouseovers etc are basics. Sure some don't use them but any good dev would know, you'd rather have the feature in case people use it than not have it and have half your playerbase crying about it. Personally I think SWToR should open to addons because that saves dev time as community can build some great addons as we have seen with WoW.

5) Build a better overall story (not to be confused with class story)
    BW must remember that more people relate to Star wars than KOTOR. Many people have no clue who Raven is/was. Bring in relatable elements from the movies into the story or create a story that we all connect to using quests etc and then wanna see it to the end and am sorry for quoting wow again but like how the burning legion and arthas stories were. The raghkul while okay is not really that cool. We need more illidans and thralls and jainas....heroes and villains who stand out and we see them regularly and want to know about them.

6) Take good ideas from WoW and Rift etc
    Rift has produced some amazing content and so has WoW back in it's golden days. I would call WoW the master of all MMOs and it is no shame to learn from a master. Look at why WoW is so famous, see what ideas work and incorporate them in SWToR. Same with Rift, it has the content production rate pat down...aim for something like that.

7) Do something about talent trees now-
    Once the level caps start going up, these talent trees will be very very bloated. Do what WoW did at Wotlk, do it now before this gets out of hand.

Once again, these are just my opinions and for context I leveled an imperial and a republic character each to level 60 before I quit SWToR.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd resub if they went with your list. The problem is the devs are bloody retarded and they actually think that the game is great as it is.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

1. Space is a mini game, its not the focus. Sure it would be great if they expanded on it, but this is not a flying MMO, it is a ground MMO. Space is a fun sidegame as is.

1a. Please stop typing SWToR. The game is "Star Wars: The Old Republic" not "Star Wars: The of Republic".

2. Could not disagree with you more. There are some amazing environments in SWTOR. Including Alderaan. PS Alderaan was destroyed in the movies and they never actually go to it.

2a. Please stop typing SWToR. The game is "Star Wars: The Old Republic" not "Star Wars: The of Republic".

3. It is not a space game. Like I already said, expanding space would be great, but it is not the focus.

4. I'll agree with this. I don't think they are as essential as you seem to think, but they should still be there.

4a. Please stop typing SWToR. The game is "Star Wars: The Old Republic" not "Star Wars: The of Republic".

5. I think the storytelling is phenomenal. Adding a Thrall would be the fastest way for them to get me to quit. Thrall was a terribly written character. WoW has terribly written story.

6. This is kind of a silly point, what exactly does WoW have that SWTOR doesn't at this point? Basically this point is "Make the game better". Very general and not helpful.

6a. Please stop typing SWToR. The game is "Star Wars: The Old Republic" not "Star Wars: The of Republic".

7. I disagree, I like the talent trees. I dislike how WoW kept changing theirs, and I hate what they are doing to them in mop.

@Perkunas, thats pretty offensive and entirely your opinion. I happen to think the game is great. Perfect, no. Great, yes.

Please post respectively. You made your point about SWTOR the first time, zero need for the multiple insertions of the same point. -Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-07-10 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    1. Space is a mini game, its not the focus. Sure it would be great if they expanded on it, but this is not a flying MMO, it is a ground MMO. Space is a fun sidegame as is.

1a. Please stop typing SWToR. The game is "Star Wars: The Old Republic" not "Star Wars: The of Republic".

2. Could not disagree with you more. There are some amazing environments in SWTOR. Including Alderaan. PS Alderaan was destroyed in the movies and they never actually go to it.

2a. Please stop typing SWToR. The game is "Star Wars: The Old Republic" not "Star Wars: The of Republic".

3. It is not a space game. Like I already said, expanding space would be great, but it is not the focus.

4. I'll agree with this. I don't think they are as essential as you seem to think, but they should still be there.

4a. Please stop typing SWToR. The game is "Star Wars: The Old Republic" not "Star Wars: The of Republic".

5. I think the storytelling is phenomenal. Adding a Thrall would be the fastest way for them to get me to quit. Thrall was a terribly written character. WoW has terribly written story.

6. This is kind of a silly point, what exactly does WoW have that SWTOR doesn't at this point? Basically this point is "Make the game better". Very general and not helpful.

6a. Please stop typing SWToR. The game is "Star Wars: The Old Republic" not "Star Wars: The of Republic".

7. I disagree, I like the talent trees. I dislike how WoW kept changing theirs, and I hate what they are doing to them in mop.

@Perkunas, thats pretty offensive and entirely your opinion. I happen to think the game is great. Perfect, no. Great, yes.
    Andddddd there, I know BW can't do anything about it but the game has hands down the worst community ever. See how this person makes a point to go after SWToR so many times? it's what we call a textbook pretentious douche. I will however answer your rather stupid points:

1) Space was not a 'side element' in Star Wars. If that's the case this game is just another rift/wow but with lightsabers.

2) Ummm...we never go to alderann in movies? You realise there are six movies right? Obviously, since you have not seen all the movies you do not know what you are on about.

3) Just because it's not the focus does not mean the game would'nt benefit if space was made one of the focus elements.

4) No arguments

5) Since you lack reading comprehensions, the point was to create heroes and villains that people want to know more about. It does not mean copying thrall's story but learn from the fact that while some people may hate thrall, characters like thrall became most loved characters in a game that can easily be called the godfather of MMO genre.

6) You clearly have no idea what all WoW has so i'd advise go play that game and see for yourself.

7) Like them as much as you want, one look at the trees and anyone can tell you that they'll be bloated to a mess by the time you hit level 75-80.

Also, you could have said all this without doing the whole 'its not SWToR' time and again. But you are the prefect reflection of the SWToR community. Anyone who has any ideas or suggestions must be belittled and ridiculed seems to be your community's mantra.

Please post more respectfully than this, there's no reason to insult the SWTOR community or the poster personally. ~Rag
    Last edited by Ragnarocket; 2012-07-10 at 01:37 PM.

This entire list is actually pretty terrible. From #5. You're right, nobody knows who Raven is. If you're going to spout your opinion and make it seem to matter, at least get his fuckin name right. It's Revan. From #6. This is what you're essentially saying, "Take stuff from WoW and Rift. I don't know what it is they should take, but they should take it." From #3. It's not a space game. If you want a space MMO, play Eve. This is an MMO where the events take place in a universe. On planets. With grounds and terrain. I mean, if you want to get down to it, based on your generalization, Star Wars is a space movie. Despite the massive amount of time they spend on planets. From #7. WoW's talent trees went from "bloated" to garbage. In fact, it was so bad that they scrapped it after one expansion. Scrapped it for an even worse design. And the best, from #2. When the hell was anybody on Alderaan besides at the very end of Episode 3? On a balcony for less than a minute. Whole argument goes down the shitter with that. Oh, and by the way, the environments in WoW never made me say "wow". I thought the entirety of Outlands was garbage. Personally, if you think environments like Dromund Kaas are bad, we're looking at two different things.

The only thing about your list I'd agree with is #4. I'd like to see some things done to the game to allow it to be better. I don't give a shit about recreating Failbot or allowing 1 button cast sequence macros for losers. But I would like macros that allow me to instantly target something and cast because the click targeting in this game blows. And I'd like to see some sort of DBM to allow them to begin making more complex raid encounters.

But, this pretty much sums up what your post says. You like WoW. So go play WoW.
    Last edited by notorious98; 2012-07-10 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    See how this person makes a point to go after SWToR so many times?
    Because you said it so many times.

Also, you could have shortened the post and just said you want WoW in space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    Andddddd there, I know BW can't do anything about it but the game has hands down the worst community ever. See how this person makes a point to go after SWToR so many times? it's what we call a textbook pretentious douche. I will however answer your rather stupid points:
    Actually if simply disagreeing with your points about the game is a reflection on the community than I would nominate the world of warcraft community as the worst. Any criticism is met with harsh condemnation. I don't think it is reflection of the community and furthermore I think your claim that it is is insulting and foolish but it's a free country. Even for people like you... and every who's read this thread and the majority of your responses in general can tell exactly what you are

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    When the hell was anybody on Alderaan besides at the very end of Episode 3? On a balcony for less than a minute. Whole argument goes down the shitter with that.
    I just kind of assumed he's confusing all the Anakin/Padame scenes on Naboo for Alderaan, because Alderaan is literally in one movie for ten seconds and you don't get to see much of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Actually if simply disagreeing with your points about the game is a reflection on the community than I would nominate the world of warcraft community as the worst. Any criticism is met with harsh condemnation. I don't think it is reflection of he community and furthermore I think your claim that it is is insulting and foolish but it's a free continue. Even for people like you... and every who's read this thread and the majority of your responses in general can tell exactly what you are
    Trust me, check the SW:ToR forums, if you say ANYTHING bad about the game you are bombarded with "GO BACK TO WOW" and other things. The WoW community is also quite bad, to say, but they have much more haters then this game.

Want an example? Take me. I made a few posts on the SW:ToR forums about stuff to be added, what I wish would be changed. I didn't insult the game, I didn't say anything flaming, it was constructive criticism. I got so much hate it was unbelievable. Don't believe me? Just go to any thread that criticizes this game.

Of course, you're going to ignore this point, because from what I can tell you're one of those people .

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    Because you said it so many times.

Also, you could have shortened the post and just said you want WoW in space.
    Here's just one example, and it's on this forum. Just because people want some of WoW's good qualities in this game doesn't mean we want a replica of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callax View Post
    Trust me, check the SW:ToR forums, if you say ANYTHING bad about the game you are bombarded with "GO BACK TO WOW" and other things. The WoW community is also quite bad, to say, but they have much more haters then this game.

Want an example? Take me. I made a few posts on the SW:ToR forums about stuff to be added, what I wish would be changed. I didn't insult the game, I didn't say anything flaming, it was constructive criticism. I got so much hate it was unbelievable. Don't believe me? Just go to any thread that criticizes this game.

Of course, you're going to ignore this point, because from what I can tell you're one of those people .

Here's just one example, and it's on this forum. Just because people want some of WoW's good qualities in this game doesn't mean we want a replica of it.

Oh I don't even have to go that far. I can hop on the wow or Diablo sub sections of this very forum. The mere waft of criticism about anything Blizzard get shit on like a brick. The swtor forums by comparison are a free speech paradise. Yes people will object but it's not even close to what happens in the sub forums right here.

Yes, there was so much vitriol in that comment that it must have been painful to read. And I'm glad you don't want a replica of WoW, but he does. He even said so in point number six. "Take all the good ideas from WoW".

Oh I don't even have to go that far. I can hop on the wow or Diablo sub sections of this very forum. The mere waft of criticism about anything Blizzard get shit on like a brick. The swtor forums by comparison are a free speech paradise. Yes people will object but it's not even close to what happens in the sub forums right here.
    You must obviously not been on the WoW or Diablo 3 forums in awhile, Diablo 3 is so drenched in criticism that I don't even bother to read threads there anymore. I've seen some of your posts and you seem to be in this warped world where Blizzard is surrounded by white knights who will defend everything they say, this is partially true, but from what I've seen the numbers of haters and fanbois on these forums (and on official forums) is actually somewhat of a 50/50 60/40 or 40/60.

And why are you even bringing up Diablo 3 or WoW when the subject is SW:ToR? It's completely offtopic, what we are talking about here is SW:ToR, and to a lesser extend it's community. Those two games are irrelevant.

---------- Post added 2012-07-10 at 12:40 AM ----------

Yes, there was so much vitriol in that comment that it must have been painful to read. And I'm glad you don't want a replica of WoW, but he does. He even said so in point number six. "Take all the good ideas from WoW".
    Why would they not want to take good ideas from WoW? I never understood this, take good ideas, and leave the bad ideas.

And why are you even bringing up Diablo 3 or WoW when the subject is SW:ToR? It's completely offtopic, what we are talking about here is SW:ToR, and to a lesser extend it's community. Those two games are irrelevant.
    Yes, other communities are irrelevant when talking about how TOR has the worst community on the entire internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    You must obviously not been on the WoW or Diablo 3 forums in awhile, Diablo 3 is so drenched in criticism that I don't even bother to read threads there anymore. I've seen some of your posts and you seem to be in this warped world where Blizzard is surrounded by white knights who will defend everything they say, this is partially true, but from what I've seen the numbers of haters and fanbois on these forums (and on official forums) is actually somewhat of a 50/50 60/40 or 40/60.

---------- Post added 2012-07-10 at 12:40 AM ----------

Why would they not want to take good ideas from WoW? I never understood this, take good ideas, and leave the bad ideas.
    It's not a warped world as far this forum is concerned. I brought it up because the OP has decided to label and slander SWTOR as having the worst community in gaming which I don't agree with. I submitted that as far as this forum is concerned it's simply not the case. Do try and keep up with the conversation though. Now apparently you however feel the white knighters for blizzard need white knighting on this forum. Carry on then.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-07-10 at 04:45 AM.

Actually, WoW has one of the worst communities known to man. Just go to a F2P MMO and watch as the WoW trolls show up in full force to trash that game and say things like, "No wonder this game is F2P". Seen it in LOTRO many, many times. Or you can just log into your local trade channel and watch the garbage that gets spewed from the mouths of retards. Also, it's tough to get a lot of hate on the WoW forums. Blizzard mods are quick to delete threads they feel aren't constructive (i.e. criticism).

That's not really an example. Saying you want some of WoW's good qualities, but completely failing to explain what those good qualities are, tells me (and others) that you're looking for WoW. It's like telling your new girlfriend you wish she had some of the qualities of your ex girlfriend, but failing to tell her what any of those qualities are. What do you think would be going through her mind at that point? You want your ex girlfriend.

It's not a warped world as far this forum is concerned. I brought it up because the OP has decided to label and slander SWTOR as having the worst community in gaming which I don't agree with. Apparently you however feel the white knighters for blizzard need white knighting on this forum. Carry on then.
    I'm just pointing out that the ratio is a lot closer then it seems, I never said I support white knights. "As far as this forum is concerned", me and the OP are referring to the official SW:ToR forums (or at least I was) which has the worst community I've seen (imo). The community on this subforum is generally good from my experience, but there are a few who are white knights for ToR and defend it zealously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Space needs to come to life ASAP. I had to stop because it felt like Gw1. All instanced, not a open world of an MMO.

When a wild forum troll appears

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    It's like telling your new girlfriend you wish she had some of the qualities of your ex girlfriend, but failing to tell her what any of those qualities are. What do you think would be going through her mind at that point? You want your ex girlfriend.
    Protip: Don't do this.

Yes, other communities are irrelevant when talking about how TOR has the worst community on the entire internet.
    I missed that's where he originally brought that up, thank you for reminding me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just pointing out that the ratio is a lot closer then it seems, I never said I support white knights. "As far as this forum is concerned", me and the OP are referring to the official SW:ToR forums (or at least I was) which has the worst community I've seen (imo). The community on this subforum is generally good from my experience, but there are a few who are white knights for ToR and defend it zealously.
    Even as far as the official wow forums are concerned it's still not true. Plenty of criticism goes on on the swtor forums and yea people object to it. Guess what? Happens on the wow and d3 forums all the time as well. It' still not even close to comparison though. As far as these forums and most other forums I've been on are concerned Blizzard has an army that won't accept a single criticism. BW should be so lucky....