New Computer Hang Ups

Just finished building my new gaming comp today, everything was running smoothly until about 30 minutes into the first boot up. Windows will slow until it becomes completely unresponsive. Cursor and windows are still movable so it isn't a hard freeze/crash, just the system cannot seem to execute any commands anymore. Has happened 9 times today. Have to do a hard reset every time.

Started happening immediately; didn't even get a chance to start installing software or even setup my internet connection. I checked the hard disk and memory for bad sectors/errors already. All the hardware tests are coming back clean.

Any ideas?
    Waste not, want not.

Deleted
    Well I'm not an expert but it might aswell some corrupted sistem files, have you tried reinstalling windows or going to the prompt (start-->type cmd-->right click--> run as admin) and typing in sfc /scannow?

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd put my money on either memory or a program eating up 100% of your process memory through leak.

Open up your task manager and keep an eye on the running processes to see if anything is hogging all your resources. Other than that, re-seat your RAM and then run a program such as Memtest. I usually recommend doing one stick at a time too just to give it a double-over so you can source out RAM as the culprit which is usually the case in new builds.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2012-07-10 at 03:10 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Are you by chance running a SSD if so which one? I have a sneaking suspicion that you are in dire need of a firmware update.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post
    I'd put my money on either memory or a program eating up 100% of your process memory through leak.

Open up your task manager and keep an eye on the running processes to see if anything is hogging all your resources. Other than that, re-seat your RAM and then run a program such as Memtest. I usually recommend doing one stick at a time too just to give it a double-over so you can source out RAM as the culprit which is usually the case in new builds.
    Didn't have a chance to install any additional programs; happened immediately. Task manager becomes completely unresponsive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post

I already ran two different Memory tests, one the Microsoft utility, the other Memtest itself. Did an extended test on via latter as well.

---------- Post added 2012-07-10 at 03:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Slayman View Post
    Are you by chance running a SSD if so which one? I have a sneaking suspicion that you are in dire need of a firmware update.
    Nope. A regular 7200 RPM Western Digital HDD.

---------- Post added 2012-07-10 at 03:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AtaraxyDarkmoonFaire View Post
    Well I'm not an expert but it might aswell some corrupted sistem files, have you tried reinstalling windows or going to the prompt (start-->type cmd-->right click--> run as admin) and typing in sfc /scannow?
    I already scanned the system files for file integrity; twice.
    Last edited by Frostea23; 2012-07-10 at 07:16 PM.
    Waste not, want not.

Seems like it could be any of 3 problems: 1. Could be that the processor is overheating. 2. The ram may need to be replaced, even though memtest says its ok I would just remove all but 1 stick and see if the problem is fixed. If not switch to another stick, and so on, until it starts working. 3. The hard drive could be defective.

Hope you can get it working man. Building your own PC can be easy but when crap like this happens it's a pain in the butt to figure out. I've been purchasing prebuilt systems from a company called ironsidecomputers.com cause same thing happened witih my the last rig I tried to build. It's more expensive but it's worth it in the end to just have a working PC with no headaches, plus tech support and warranties and all that. Anyways I'm sure you'll figure it out good luck