Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Retribution Paladin - PVE DPS?

I was wondering how DPS is going for retribution paladins in PVE, Since I don't own beta key or access I'm going to ask it here, In cataclysm our DPS sucks has their been any improvements to our dps or is it still low also if it is good do we match the dps of rogues/mages?

Ret dps is bad? What?
    Check out my youtube channel!!! Gaming videos GALORE!!! :http://www.youtube.com/user/Antigravitydawgz

Deleted
    I haven't tested Retribution in any raids in the beta but all accounts suggest that our DPS is one of the best in how it is currently tuned.

In cataclysm our DPS sucks
    Not sure if you've played retribution in 4.3 but we're doing pretty darn well!

Deleted
    Ret DPS sucks in Cata? Never heard that before, Im usually in the top with my ret.

Deleted
    Well, I'm only doing 47k on Madness with 398 iLVL. My friend however full heroic epic gem w/e Is only doing about 70k DPS on madness which is why I think RET dps is pretty bad.

Deleted
    You can't base anything on what you've seen on madness dude, everything is affected by spellweave and crazy buffs. Go do Ultraxion and compare yourself.

Deleted
    Rets are dam bad on Madness since we don't proc Spellweave with half of our abilitys.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkiri View Post
    You can't base anything on what you've seen on madness dude, everything is affected by spellweave and crazy buffs. Go do Ultraxion and compare yourself.
    http://simulationcraft.org/432/Raid_T13H.html The only class below us are priests. We have performed nicely at times and then Blizzard always nerfed us. They actually even said that they want us to be average/below average. When stars align you can do massive dps but as long as your guild isn't full of baddies you can say good bye to top spots. There are few fights like Spine where we shine because of great burst potential and optimal cooldowns to do so.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo86 View Post
    http://simulationcraft.org/432/Raid_T13H.html The only class below us are priests. We have performed nicely at times and then Blizzard always nerfed us. They actually even said that they want us to be average/below average. When stars align you can do massive dps but as long as your guild isn't full of baddies you can say good bye to top spots. There are few fights like Spine where we shine because of great burst potential and optimal cooldowns to do so.
    Try http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/ which is actual damage done and not just simulated parses. And mate, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk. It's only some top tier guilds that didn't use Retribution e.g. Paragon, and that was in 4.2 for the most part. Retribution came back strong here in 4.3 especially since mages went fire and you had to bring someone with 3% raid damage buff.
    Oh, and also there are examples of top guilds using Ret paladins for progressing aswell, vodka as an example used one.

And I finally have to add, how can you even think that list is accurate when Shadowpriest are listed as one of the worst dps specs? And also
    Arcane > Fire,
    MM > Surv,
    Elemental > Ret,
    lol wat?
    Last edited by mmoc8b393fc574; 2012-07-10 at 12:17 PM.

Ret's are looking very nice at the moment on the beta. I have done every boss in the raid testing and although our AoE is HORRIBLE at the moment, our single target makes up for it. Ret's were always made for strong singe target damage, and Blizzard achieved that as of right now.

You need to know what you are doing however. I spent an entire day doing the math on haste vs. mastery, Execution sentence vs. Holy prism, as well as figuring out how drastically our play-style changes when we get 4 piece tier 14.

As for the cataclysm dispute... Ret's are doing pretty well, trying to compare our dps on madness to other classes is a horrible idea since ret's are just about the worst class/spec for that fight. Compare the damage on Ultraxion like many people said.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Snuxxy/simple

Retribution is looking pretty good in beta. This is coming from someone who mained retri since vanilla but gave up in 4.0 thanks to the clusterfuck that the spec was in that patch. The introduction of Holy Power and the spec being generally underpowered sucked all the fun out of it for me.

But in the MoP beta it seems they've rooted out most of the issues with Holy Power; it flows far more naturally now and feels more dynamically integrated into your rotation instead of feeling like an arbitrary tacked on mechanic like in 4.0. The new talent system is also perfect for a hybrid spec like Ret. I can't speak for balance as I haven't tested level 90 content, but mechanically speaking, the spec is leaps and bounds above its sorry Cata state.
    This is my signature. You will now remember me.

Yeah they need to work on Ret's AOE, seriously. HOTR needs a buff or something.. or hell, I just got the best idea ever: Seal of Righteousness turns Exorcism and Judgment into AOE abilities. Screw that "Mass Exorcism" glyph, seriously. Just bake it into Seal of Righteousness.

Deleted
    I don't know from where you are pulling out your information but I rock as paladin retribution and it's fun, madness is not the best fight to judge dps, try Ultraxion.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkiri View Post
    except to arms warriors who shit on us pretty much every fight due to 'fight mechanics' it must be nice to have strong cleave/ strong aoe/good mobility/ endless resources generation and then qq about how they suck in pvp.

ret was absolutely awful in t11, passable in t12 and it took a bandaid gear fix in t13 to make us decent again.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Deleted
    While I realise that to most people, 5-man dungeons doesn't qualify as PvE, I had to chuckle when someone complimented me on my DPS the other day, saying that it was pretty good considering my crap gear.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...obodine/simple

(15 Murozond & 5 Hagara kills and still stuck with 318 quest reward shoulders, oh yeah! And no, I'm not going to get the PvP shoulders as a matter of principle. And I'm spending my JP/VP on tank gear at the moment).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamwins View Post
    In cataclysm our DPS sucks has their been any improvements to our dps or is it still low
    I've seen people do 60-65k+ with ret, so if you ask me that doesn't suck. In my OP we are doing pretty well.

Cataclysm has been another mediocre expansion for Ret, but it hasn't been totally horrible. We're decent in DS, not amazing but decent. Needing hot-fix buffs in both tier 11 and tier 12 was a bit of an embarrassment for blizzard, but oh well, the spec was generally playable. The feedback from beta is overwhelmingly positive though, so it should be a good expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now, ret's are actually in a good spot, especially if they're played well (which applies to most classes).

Quote Originally Posted by Dontdotmeiv View Post
    Right now, ret's are actually in a good spot, especially if they're played well (which applies to most classes).
    Don't flatter yourself big guy you're 393 ilvl running normals 3 clears of DS. In a competitive guild with people that know how to play their class Ret would get SMOKED.

OP: Not exactly sure why people are saying Ret was good IN DS because they were like bottom melee DPS and were only taken for the high burst if that...Obviously now that content is nerfed by 25% and fights are a lot shorter Ret is going to appear competitive but when DS was "challenging" it was sub par..

I really hope Ret gets fixed in MoP but right now the only way Ret will be as good as like a Arms warrior is currently is if holy/prot is terrible. I am a strong believer that the hybrid tax is still up and running.

10+ Year Old Account
    On the rare occasions I get to ret, I have raidfinder and a sprinkle of HcFireland gear. I still managed to pull out a decent amount of DPS.

Sadly my guild did not have a ret paladin for the majority of progressing Dragon Soul, it's only as healing has eased off that I get to dps now even with my cruddy gear.

The spec is fine. It was terrible in early Firelands, but the buffs smoothed that out eventually.

There's been an overwhelming amount of problems with anti melee fights this expansion, and I hope that doesn't continue into Mists. But before focusing on ones problems just take a moment to acknowledge that there is alot of 'get off the boss and travel' time that melee has had to deal with this expansion, and the ticks from Seal of Truth tend to make our average output take several savage beatings each time. It's not as bad as you think it is.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.