10+ Year Old Account

Looking for Critique and Advice

I have recently started playing my mage again after a 2 year break. I'm a bit out of the loop with current mage stuff, and am looking for critiques on my character. Been raiding again for about a month and have a 401 ilevel, just waiting on more gear to drop to improve as I have everything I can buy with valor or through drops. I routinely check AH for BOEs that would be better but no such luck finding something just yet.

I'm doing all right in raids but am always looking to improve.

Anyway I am at hit cap, and have prioritized crit and am at the 15% soft haste cap.

Here is a link to my character armory. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...B6ver/advanced

Thanks for the help in advance.

as a general rule you reforge in this way mastery to hit first if you run out of mastery to reforge then you use haste. This is because mastery is less useful then haste or crit. And if your super close to hit cap with-in .5 don't worry about getting the last bit your better off keeping the extra haste or crit. Other then that your looking good i would suggest a better weapon if you can get it and it looks like your aoe trinket dose not damage the main target so is only good in aoe or cleave situations, so look into getting something better.

Ok overall not bad at all. But a few things I did notice, get rid of the int/hst gems if you are going to use a orange gem it should be int/crit (good choice on using orange where you did though) also on your gloves from everything I have read and seen the 65 mastery enchant is better than the 50 haste (unless dropping the 50 haste will put you under the soft-cap).

There will be no BoE's that are an upgrade for you at all so you can stop looking. Beyond heroic versions of what you already have I only saw 3 upgrades for you.

Lightning Rod - yes even the 397 version is better than regular Ti'Tahk.

Finger of Zon'ozz

Will of Unbinding

I understand you just may not have had a chance to get these yet but figured I would just let you know.

**Edit**

AFAIK For Fire spec once you hit the haste soft-cap mastery is better but it is so close that honestly you can go with your personal preference.
    Last edited by Unforgvn; 2012-07-06 at 10:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks guys! I will make the suggested changes. I ran an LFR and I improved greatly just based on the reforging alone.

I would actually go with the haste enchant on gloves, because, I imported you character to rawr and got the relative stat values for your gear, and then I went to wowreforge.com with those values and found that if you use the haste enchant on gloves you will gain 48 crit rating. This is of course subject to change for every new piece of gear you get. I would also go for the hit enchant on boots and gain 53 more crit, ofcourse this is personal preference but scorch while moving makes it worth it imo (also checked Blatty, a mage in Method, and he had the hit one, so if you like min-maxing go with that).
    Last edited by Pyrion; 2012-07-07 at 10:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't find Blatty in the Armory, seems to me that he hasn't played in a bit or changed his name?

At any rate, I checked some of the top mages in the world (from WoW Progress) and many of them do indeed use Precision on their boots. With my present gear, I don't think it makes that much sense for me to change it up right now. All those mages are use the mastery enchant on gloves, and it doesn't make sense to me to swap out the enchant on my gloves and boots just to trade stats. Changing them up, would put me below the haste soft cap which I don't want atm.

Possibly later when I have better gear I will use Precision instead.

Quote Originally Posted by plumwd View Post
    I couldn't find Blatty in the Armory, seems to me that he hasn't played in a bit or changed his name?
    Here he is

Method is a European guild, so maybe that's why you didn't find him.

Well when I pointed those stat changes out I calculated it so that you would still, with different reforging, be at the 1505 haste plateu and hitcaped, while swapping mastery for crit. You would gain 101 crit from mastery and this is really worth it, trust me.

If you don't trust me or just don't know how to get the same reforging as I did, just go to http://elitistjerks.com/rawr.php and load you char and then go to Stat Values > Relative stat values and put these into a reforge calculator where you have changed the enchants. (Also feel kind of insulted, I put some effort into helping you gain 100 crit which is kind of a big deal in DS and you just dissmiss it).

Edit: And the reason the top mages are using the mastery enchant over the haste one is because they gain crit from it with their current gear. I've noticed that gloves enchant may need to be swapped every time you get a new piece of gear if you got bad luck.
    Last edited by Pyrion; 2012-07-09 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Added some info.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aww no need to feel insulted! I take everything into account. I already have rawr and will check it out. I wasn't trying to be dismissive at all. In fact I did look into it, but didn't reforge properly.

Thanks for the help.