Deleted

My PC reads my gfx card as something it isnt... confused

So today i got a new system with what i thought was a HD 6870 gfx card, it says it is on the card, all the serial stickers and the box etc. When i DxDiag it tells me it is a HD 6850 X2. So now im confused...

Is this a known issue?
    If somehow its a xfire 6850 set up built into 1 card was i skanked or did i luck out and get more than i paid for?
    Any suggestions about what to do to maybe rectify how it reads the card?

Only one company made a 6850 X2 and this card is not available in EU or US only in the asian market. So I really doubt you got this card but maybe Other than that im not sure why it says 6850 x2 instead of 6870 =/

http://www.techpowerup.com/152306/Co...hics-Card.html

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    First, I would double check with something such as GPUz.

Second, I've heard of this issue before where you need to meddle around in the registry to force hidden or disabled devices in the device manager and remove the old entry in order for the correct information to be displayed with the alternative being to nuke your installation of Windows.

Alternatively, you could try downloading ATI Man uninstaller and do a default sweep which includes the registry files followed by a complete reinstall of the drivers.

Third, get a second opinion before doing step two.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2012-07-10 at 09:33 PM. Reason: stuff'n'such
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Deleted
    Gpu-z says the same thing.

Will do a full reinstall and see what happens and report back. confusing the crap outta me tho

---------- Post added 2012-07-10 at 11:15 PM ----------

Sorry for the double post.

Done a full sweep and reinstall of the drivers and its still saying its a 6850 X2.

This card is by an asian manufacturer but its only a 1gb card not a 4gb unfortunately

Head is totally baffled by this
    Last edited by mmoc6ce7b9b32e; 2012-07-10 at 10:15 PM. Reason: added another line

Whats the make and model of the card?

Deleted
    VTX Radeon HD 6870

Deleted
    The device ID and the shader count might be matching that of a 6850. Could be as if the wrong chip made it onto that card. If you aren't comfortable with flashing it, and flashing it back if things go wrong, just return it.

Deleted
    I did read that somewhere else too. Thing is if i flash it, sure i get the clock and mem speed but im still missing shaders.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fergsuK View Post
    I did read that somewhere else too. Thing is if i flash it, sure i get the clock and mem speed but im still missing shaders.
    can't you return it? get a refund?

Deleted
    Yes i can but i'm one of those who'll try to fix something before returning it

Do not attempt to fix something which just may not be broken. Return it, and buy a product that guarantees what it says on the box

I bought a gtx 560 but when I opened the box the 560 was mislabeled all te stickers on the card everything said gtx 560 ti. GPU_Z said it was just a 560 which it was. I contacted EVGA and sent in that 560 they sent me back a 560ti. Customer service was bad ass.

IMO, sounds like you got a cheaper card hacked/rebranded to look like a more expensive card. Similar to a knockoff and what cheap markets do with Flash media devices. Hack a 1gb mp3 player to make it seem like a 4gb mp3 player until you plug it in and try to put more than 1gb of crap on it and watch it fry itself(not literally).
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Deleted
    thanks for the replies. waiting to here back from the place i got it from, theyve supposedly contacted the supplier to see what theyre gunna do about it. so i'll get a proper 6870 at least, otherwise i'll be playing hell

Deleted
    I got amd radeon 6870 HD,
    Box says 6850,
    sticker on the card says 6870,
    and i was buying a 6850 on the website

gpu-z and other things say 6800 series

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Only one company made a 6850 X2 and this card is not available in EU or US only in the asian market. So I really doubt you got this card but maybe Other than that im not sure why it says 6850 x2 instead of 6870 =/

http://www.techpowerup.com/152306/Co...hics-Card.html
    Only 1 company made a 2gb model, 6850 x2 is not a rare card. If its reading as a 6850 x2 its severely better than a 6870. The thing is two 1 gig cards is still 1 gig so two 2 gig cars is not 4gb but still 2. It should read as 1gb Vram w/ 1920 shaders I believe.

Deleted
    where are you guys buying your graphic cards from...

Deleted
    960 Unified shaders
    800 clock
    1050 memory

defo seems to be a standard 6850

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Only 1 company made a 2gb model, 6850 x2 is not a rare card. If its reading as a 6850 x2 its severely better than a 6870. The thing is two 1 gig cards is still 1 gig so two 2 gig cars is not 4gb but still 2. It should read as 1gb Vram w/ 1920 shaders I believe.
    lol ? you can buy it on ebay if u want , but good looking finding one at your favorite etailer or any computer shop outside the asian market, 6870 x2 are not rare , thats probably what u meant.