Yet another "buying laptop" thread

Hello,

My desktop has crapped out on me and with the limited amount of space in my new apartment... purchasing a new one isn't necessarily feasible right now. My laptop is old and I'm going to upgrade it; I figured I could kill two birds with one stone and purchase one laptop for both gaming and work.

The only(big) problem is that my budget is <$500, which greatly limits my options of a laptop that can handle gaming. Unfortunately, my budget isn't flexible. I've found a few Acer Aspire laptops that are in the neighborhood of: 2nd gen 2.4GHz Intel i3, 4GB Memory (willing to upgrade to 8GB if it will significantly boost performance), Intel HP Graphics 3000 for $400-$450.

Are these specs good enough to run WoW with no FPS problems? I don't need the settings to be on high and I won't be doing anything above 10 man raiding. I just want to play on a laptop with ok-decent framerate. I'll also be investing in a cooling pad to hopefully alleviate any overheating problems.

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Axolus View Post
    Hello,

My desktop has crapped out on me and with the limited amount of space in my new apartment... purchasing a new one isn't necessarily feasible right now. My laptop is old and I'm going to upgrade it; I figured I could kill two birds with one stone and purchase one laptop for both gaming and work.

The only(big) problem is that my budget is <$500, which greatly limits my options of a laptop that can handle gaming. Unfortunately, my budget isn't flexible. I've found a few Acer Aspire laptops that are in the neighborhood of: 2nd gen 2.4GHz Intel i3, 4GB Memory (willing to upgrade to 8GB if it will significantly boost performance), Intel HP Graphics 3000 for $400-$450.

Are these specs good enough to run WoW with no FPS problems? I don't need the settings to be on high and I won't be doing anything above 10 man raiding. I just want to play on a laptop with ok-decent framerate. I'll also be investing in a cooling pad to hopefully alleviate any overheating problems.

Thanks for your help
    Your budget for a laptop won't cut it. You could however build a desktop for around that price that will handle WoW and other games.

I was able to get financed by Newegg so I've bumped up my budget but only by a little bit. Would an Intel i5 processor, 4GB memory and Intel HD 3000 card be enough to run WoW on low-medium settings? I know the HD 3000 is an integrated card but it's worth asking.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you

10+ Year Old Account
    if the laptop version of hd3000 is as crappy as the desktop you might be lucky to get 30-40fps on low settings in sub hd resolutions in 5mans. (ie something lower then 720p)