Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddycen View Post
    no they don't, they want them to be Illegal so their rich friends or them could take the advantage of them because they work below the minimum wage,
    that's why they oppose any amnesty plan, legalizing them would mean paying the minimum wage.
    Someone needs to turn off MSNBC.

I hired illegals for roofing, and I payed so far above the minimum wage its not even funny. . . . LoL turn off the tv.

On average, you will save about 15 to 20% going with illegals for work. They are a little cheaper, and do a GREAT job. I would recommend illegals for any labor in construction. Living in Texas, I have a massive pool to grab from. Its so great. They show up on time, EVERY TIME. They do a damn good job. I wish more Americans were illegals. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    This is going to sound like the worst stoner-idea ever, but I think I could fix congress if I was Speaker of the House.

Between sessions, I'd hold open meetings where everyone in congress would be invited, and we'd all just sit in a circle on the floor, eat pizza and drink beer, and talk about how we felt about stuff. If anyone got too intense, we'd be like "bro, just chill", and repeat offenders would be cast out of the circle! But if they decided to chill out, they could get back in to the circle by bringing more food, and giving every individual person in the circle a hug. We'd also probably have a talking-stick or something.

I think it could work.
    You know, I'm up for anything at this point. Unfortunately the opposite of this is what is actually taking place. One of the freshman congressman from last election told a town hall about his first day. He said they brought everyone together, congratulated them, separated them by political party, and told them good luck and to see each other the battlefield, or war field. I forgot which term they used exactly. Then they went off and had separate orientations.

This the mentality of the people teaching the new members of congress.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Someone needs to turn off MSNBC.

I hired illegals for roofing, and I payed so far above the minimum wage its not even funny. . . . LoL turn off the tv.

On average, you will save about 15 to 20% going with illegals for work. They are a little cheaper, and do a GREAT job. I would recommend illegals for any labor in construction. Living in Texas, I have a massive pool to grab from. Its so great. They show up on time, EVERY TIME. They do a damn good job. I wish more Americans were illegals. . . .
    Someone needs to turn on reality. We're talking corporate farming, sugar fields etc...The wealthy people claiming to be against illegal immigration are the same people benefiting the most from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Only illegal immigrants are really expected to vote democrat, they generally come from a lower economic standing where free things will benefit them more. Other immigrants are often granted citizenship on some sort of merit basis, and are actually expected to vote conservative.

The other half of the equation is the blatant nationalism of the right, its difficult to side with conservatives when they talk about bombing countries similar to your homeland and withdrawing from the UN.
    Only US Citizens can vote. And 71% of hispanics voted Obama. Granted hispanics includes people from many countries who don't necessary sympathize with other races. In terms of economic/religious issues people do expect hispanics to support republicans in a vacuum... but currently the targeting of races of people/immegrants shifts that. I'm not actually sure if that economic/relgious analysis was based on 2002 republicans or the 2013 teapublican party though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    None of your examples are even within the last 100 years.

The lesson you should take from history is that, in that time, the Democrats have moved forward on social issues, knowing they'd lose the support of some of their base, who were hard-core racists. And the Republicans, seeing an opportunity, deliberately slanted their stance and message to be significantly more appealing to those racists.

Nor am I exaggerating or using biased terminology. This is explicitly what the Republican Southern Strategy was, when it was launched in the '60s.

Your entire premise doesn't work as an attack on Democrats, since the Democratic Party recognized those failings, and sought to redress them. And the Republicans decided to adopt those failings, of their own free will, to win votes.
    You missed the
    The Democratic Party overwhelmingly voted against the 15th Amendment which guaranteed the right to vote to all freed slaves.
    Even Sen. John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Baines Johnson voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1957
    I am guessing.

1957 was in the past 100 yrs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only illegal immigrants are really expected to vote democrat, they generally come from a lower economic standing where free things will benefit them more. Other immigrants are often granted citizenship on some sort of merit basis, and are actually expected to vote conservative.

The other half of the equation is the blatant nationalism of the right, its difficult to side with conservatives when they talk about bombing countries similar to your homeland and withdrawing from the UN.
    The only people given a short cut on a merit basis are exceptional cases like musicians, athletes, actors, scientists and the like. Basically, someone who clearly contributes to the country's reputation. No average Joe will ever get special treatment.. It's outlined in the immigration laws. They get a O-1 Visa
    http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00b92ca60aRCRD

Illegal immigrants will vote for those who get them out of this situation. I am pretty convinced that the Republicans don't want any form of amnesty, since it's the goal of Democrats. Amnesty would be an almost guaranteed vote for whoever puts it in place. A democrat President is at the helm right now..
    Wait and see a Republican President, and then you will see how the Dems switch stance..
    Most latinos voted Obama, since he actively campaigned on the topic of immigration, and promised to have it fixed to the advantage of the illegal immigrants within his first year of Presidency. He did not deliver on that promise, and pissed the latino community off with it big time. They did however buy into the problem with the gobal economy collapse, and unemployment rise along with it. They gave him (and the Dems) another chance for getting it right during this term.
    If they cannot deliver, it's a difficult task to get them voting Dems again, if they vote at all...
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2013-08-22 at 03:57 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post

Someone needs to turn on reality. We're talking corporate farming, sugar fields etc...The wealthy people claiming to be against illegal immigration are the same people benefiting the most from it.
    Care to prove that? Or just more talking points from MSNBC?

10+ Year Old Account
    Care to prove that? Or just more talking points from MSNBC?
    Read this
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_871391.html
    And that
    http://www.policymic.com/articles/82...-farm-business
    or this
    http://www.voanews.com/content/us-fa...44/162082.html

Here's a paper about it:
    http://fair.thinkrootshq.com/docs/agribusiness_rev.pdf
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2013-08-22 at 04:01 PM.

Trying to argue who benefits the most from illegal immigration is almost impossible. One could make the argument that illegal immigration lowers food prices, favoring the poor who spend a proportionally higher amount of their budget on food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wheres the part in the articles about the farm owners "The wealthy people claiming to be against illegal immigration are the same people benefiting the most from it."

Im having a hard time finding the section saying the farm owners are "against illegal immigration"? . . . . . . . Just one example would be cool. . . . . . . . . or was that simply more MSNBC out of the ass talk?

I know a lot of farmers, and there isnt a single one that would be against illegal immigration. . . . that would rape them in the ass with a sandpaper condom.

Quote Originally Posted by Asag View Post
    You missed the I am guessing.

1957 was in the past 100 yrs.
    The 1960's are after 1957.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wheres the part in the articles about the farm owners "The wealthy people claiming to be against illegal immigration are the same people benefiting the most from it."

Im having a hard time finding the section saying the farm owners are "against illegal immigration"? . . . . . . . Just one example would be cool. . . . . . . . . or was that simply more MSNBC out of the ass talk?

I know a lot of farmers, and there isnt a single one that would be against illegal immigration. . . . that would rape them in the ass with a sandpaper condom.
    I am with you on that.... I do not know anyone who is against it either... But that also is true for the other people I know in the country.. I cannot think of a single person ever expressing a hard line against the illegal immigrants. Point of fact, all say pretty much the same thing.. Turn them legal and get over with it..
    Them being illegal causes more problems than not.
    Omaha, NE has lots of illegal Mexicans. There's an industry relying on them. From farmers to meat plants, they use them.
    They are "ghetto'ed" into an entire district of the city. When you drive down the main road leading through that part, it's like you are in another country. Almost all signs at shops and stores are Spanish. Brown people everywhere. The wealth in that part of town is rather low. Safety there is iffy at best. And yet, most of them work, and even physically hard. They are clearly "used", and deserve more...

Are there corporations that are against legalization? I'm sure there are. Proof? I didn't dig any up, I didn't try though either.
    I use common sense to make that claim though... People are different, and with that said, there's also greed and it's various effects. From there I can easily see how someone leading a corporation, and greedy enough doesn't want any change at all... No e-verify, no legal status change.

I'd avoid voting Republican, almost all of them are far-right social-authoritarians. They speak of the deficit but do not understand how to fix it. Democrats are the lesser evils. 3d party, there are some good 3d party candidates but they are all quite weak at the moment because of the way the system is set up.

You're right. I misspoke. I meant to write that wealthy people(corporate farms, Fanjul family etc) vote for, lobby, and donate to representatives that are against immigration reform, benefit the most from it. So, the very people influencing representatives who want to keep illegal immigrants out, want illegal immigrants here. They got to play both sides of the argument until it became less advantageous to do so. Due to the demographics of the last election, they have no choice but to support immigration now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/us...haul.html?_r=0

I don't watch MSNBC so you can stick that particular talking point in your...back pocket.

- - - Updated - - -

Trying to argue who benefits the most from illegal immigration is almost impossible. One could make the argument that illegal immigration lowers food prices, favoring the poor who spend a proportionally higher amount of their budget on food.
    Ah yes, trickle down. As long as "poor" people gain some advantage somewhere along the way, everything that might cause that is justified.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post

I don't watch MSNBC so you can stick that particular talking point in your...back pocket.
    I c what u did thar!

And, yes I agree that there are some shady mass producers out there playing politics at the top. But you have to remember, corporate farms didnt come from average farmers, it came from the subsidies the gov applies to certain crops that allow these ass holes to become "corporate farms", the whole "go big or get out" mentality of big agra.

It hurts our local farmers. . . . but this isn't the thread to discuss corn/crop subsidies and why they are wrong. Carry on.

15+ Year Old Account
    I c what u did thar!

And, yes I agree that there are some shady mass producers out there playing politics at the top. But you have to remember, corporate farms didnt come from average farmers, it came from the subsidies the gov applies to certain crops that allow these ass holes to become "corporate farms", the whole "go big or get out" mentality of big agra.

It hurts our local farmers. . . . but this isn't the thread to discuss corn/crop subsidies and why they are wrong. Carry on.
    Big business molded our government to serve their big business. The revolving door of big business and executive level of government is always turning.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

I c what u did thar!

I thought it was a good compromise to get my point across without insinuating I have any dislike of you(I don't). ;p

I don't really consider the average farmer to be a wealthy political contributor, that's why I focused on the wealthy/corporate ones.

Yea, discussion for another time.