New to guild wars

Hey guys I'm new to guild wars as I have never played gw1 and have to admit that I thought gw2 was over hyped. I've been doing some research into this game and it looks very appealing. Anyway my main question is since this game will be free of subscription how are the servers and mainatanance for the game? Obviously the game is not out but I mean in reference to how the first game was. Also, did the makers release a fair amount of content between expansions? And final question is what was the ultimate story of the first game? I've looked online and could find alot of fan made stories, not sure if they have an official wiki page. Thanks for any replies guys.

Right, Servers will be maintained by money made from Micro Transactions and box sales. Remember, server costs are actually surprisingly cheap and do not warrant a traditional MMO sub fee. When the original first came out they released massive expansions as standalone games, meaning you could enjoy them seperately or as one long game with the exception of Eye of the North which followed a traditional expansion model.

As for the story... Well each of the four games had different stories and lore which would be very difficult to write here.
    These would be a good place to start.
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...C&feature=plcp
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Tyria_(world)

Also check this thread out for questions about Guild Wars 2.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...iated-READ-ME!

Now as to the lore,check out this video from WoodenPotatoes

Here are a few more.He will be making more.A lot of what happened in Guild Wars 1 is discussed.

Guild Wars 2 Lore: The Fall of Ascalon

Guild Wars 2 Lore: The Characters
    Last edited by Maleagant; 2012-07-11 at 03:39 AM.
    "Chaos boils in my veins."

Can only talk about the expansions and what you really should keep in mind is that they releases expansions and not 2.0 patches. The expansions have A LOT of content in them and every expansion is pretty much a full size game. Nightfall was a full size game, factions and EOTN was probably not but way more content than other MMORPG expansions.

Thanks for all the info guys. I honestly just looked into this game literally 2 nights ago to see what the hype was all about and I had to call up my brother and let him know about this game. Now I just feel impatient like a child on Christmas waiting for the release in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrus View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. I honestly just looked into this game literally 2 nights ago to see what the hype was all about and I had to call up my brother and let him know about this game. Now I just feel impatient like a child on Christmas waiting for the release in August.
    I'm jealous you get to experience this discovery feeling. I don't even remember when or how that moment hit -- but roughly a year ago, or so, I think I found GW2 info online when bored at work and I told my brother about it and he dismissed outright. About 4 months later, he texted me: "Dude ... GW2!"

Now our greeting when we instant message each other is not "Hi" ... it's "GW2!!!!"

Don't care about the hype ... don't care what others think about the game ... I just know this game was made for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrus View Post
    I'm with you.I can't wait till this game launches.Welcome to Tyria my friend.

The Beauty of Guild Wars 2
    "Chaos boils in my veins."

Also new to Guild Wars here, just pre-purchased recently, really interesting videos there, thanks guys!

Would you say that the first one would be worthy of buying to have something to play before the second comes out?

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to both of you! I'm fairly new myself, was in the 2nd BWE and it blew me away.

I haven't got the first one, from what I understand it's very different gameplay-wise but some people are doing it for the Hall of Monuments thing (which would carry over to GW2) or the reserve your name thing.
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Less than 1$ of our subscription in games like WoW actually goes to server maintenance and Bandwidth.
    Cost also go down all the time. for exemple, the cost of Bandwidth between 2009 and today is (very) roughtly a tenth of what it used to be. I can have a 10Terabyde of bandwidth for what a single T used to cost me in 2008-9.

Quote Originally Posted by DefeatedSanity View Post
    Also new to Guild Wars here, just pre-purchased recently, really interesting videos there, thanks guys!

Would you say that the first one would be worthy of buying to have something to play before the second comes out?
    If you are interested in the lore or getting Hall of Monument (HoM) points, which can give you some exclusive cosmetic perks (gear/weapon skins, pets, and titles) or reserving a two-word name (you cannot have 1-word names in GW1 but you can in GW2) then it's worth it, sure ... or if you just want to try out a new game (the gameplay is not very similar).

Also -- you can continue getting HoM points in GW1 after GW2 releases ... so it's not like you have to get all the points before Aug 28.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    If you are interested in the lore or getting Hall of Monument (HoM) points, which can give you some exclusive cosmetic perks (gear/weapon skins, pets, and titles) or reserving a two-word name (you cannot have 1-word names in GW1 but you can in GW2) then it's worth it, sure ... or if you just want to try out a new game (the gameplay is not very similar).

Also -- you can continue getting HoM points in GW1 after GW2 releases ... so it's not like you have to get all the points before Aug 28.
    Oh nice, thank you very much... Yeah I'll just wait till next week Beta Week-End so I can try the game itself.

It's been a long time I've played a MMO and I can't wait for this one, from the video I have seen, it looks more then awesome.