[Music] Looking for criticism on my band's songs, Alchemy.

As of now we consist of a guitarist, bassist, and drummer. We are planning on getting some legit recording equipment but would like some feedback for inspiration. We have a lot of progressive influence including bands like Dream Theater, Rush, Yes, King Crimson, Marillion, and tons more.

In no way, shape, or form are these recordings perfect, we took some ideas and recorded them with an Iphone.

Be totally honest with us http://www.youtube.com/user/AlchemyOriginals/featured

Xbox360/Ps3/Steam username:WayCoolJr56

i like #2 more but both are quite good, i like your bass, with some better recordings it'll come along nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
    i like #2 more but both are quite good, i like your bass, with some better recordings it'll come along nicely.
    Much appreciated.

Deleted
    it's decent, but the recording sucks.

Not bad by any means, esp for pretty much jamming for now. You just really need that recording equipment, Makes a world of difference.

The drumming is pretty sloppy during some of the non-normal time signature fills. The overall work on each instrument is reasonably solid, but there seems to be that kind of musical connection missing between each one - that'll come in time, but especially when you try to play prog music, it's pretty essential that every member of the band is completely in sync with the others. This was all based off the second song.

The drumming in the first song actually seems much better during the fills.

Overall, I would encourage your bassist to up their game in terms of what they're playing. Maybe it's because of the recording quality, but the only times I could even hear them play, it was essentially what the guitar was playing. Playing with only one guitarist these days is a rare treat, and your bassist has room to be a true bassist, instead of someone just pumping the guitar's roots. The greatest thing about a lot of those bands you draw inspiration from is that their bassists are freaking incredible musicians who know their way up and down the neck. As a bassist, I personally enjoy having the freedom to play pretty much whatever I want so long as it's in the right key and doesn't detract from the basic riff. For example, in song 1, around 4:15, when the bassist is just kind of popping a few notes, that would be a perfect time to be complementing the guitar and drums by playing some kind of runs within a half-octave.

Sounds good to me but the recording sounds like it way far away.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    The drumming is pretty sloppy during some of the non-normal time signature fills. The overall work on each instrument is reasonably solid, but there seems to be that kind of musical connection missing between each one - that'll come in time, but especially when you try to play prog music, it's pretty essential that every member of the band is completely in sync with the others. This was all based off the second song.

The drumming in the first song actually seems much better during the fills.

Overall, I would encourage your bassist to up their game in terms of what they're playing. Maybe it's because of the recording quality, but the only times I could even hear them play, it was essentially what the guitar was playing. Playing with only one guitarist these days is a rare treat, and your bassist has room to be a true bassist, instead of someone just pumping the guitar's roots. The greatest thing about a lot of those bands you draw inspiration from is that their bassists are freaking incredible musicians who know their way up and down the neck. As a bassist, I personally enjoy having the freedom to play pretty much whatever I want so long as it's in the right key and doesn't detract from the basic riff. For example, in song 1, around 4:15, when the bassist is just kind of popping a few notes, that would be a perfect time to be complementing the guitar and drums by playing some kind of runs within a half-octave.
    This right here is a great post, thanks a ton. I totally agree with you on just about everything you've said. As these are more ideas, of course when we get our recording equipment we plan on going through and perfecting every little thing and adding more in as well. So what you said were some great recommendations as to what we need to work on.

No problem. I've played bass for around a decade, and have performed in numerous bands/genres/venues over that time. If your bassist needs any help with anything, and I'm not busy golfing/painting my new place in the next couple weeks, I'd be more than happy to help. Also, I'd love to hear them again when you've recorded it with your new equipment!