Trade a good idea?

So im 19 and about to get my first job, im also thinking about investing some of that money via scot trade while im working.

Question is, will it make me much money? Is it a good idea?

10+ Year Old Account
    Stock market trading requires quite a bit of research in order to make serious money. If you invest in a stable company, say 10k, in a year, that 10k might have only increased/decreased by 10.

Actually making serious cash requires good predictions.

This is the wrong forum for this discussion though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Stood in the Fire UnstoppableErasor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you mean by trading giving you possession of my good ideas while I have to take your bad ones then no... My good ideas

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved to Off-Topic

Please check the forum before posting

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theman662 View Post
    So im 19 and about to get my first job, im also thinking about investing some of that money via scot trade while im working.

Question is, will it make me much money? Is it a good idea?
    Depends how much you have to invest. It certainly is not a bad idea to try your hand at it, but only do so with an amount that you are comfortable with. You really do not want to put the entire bank on investing when you're just starting out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you have a good understanding of markets and how to make a well diversified portfolio, you're a lot better off handing the money over to a mutual fund or something like that to invest it for you. My grandfather swears by Municipal Bonds these days, which very rarely ever default, and can be found at 8% interest rates. Personally, I think if a Muni Bond is paying 8%, it's because people are afraid it will default. Anyway, I'd just recommend getting professional advice, and if you plan to put money into the stock market, don't plan to make money in the short term. Leave it in for the long haul. The market will fluctuate, but over the course of decades, it always goes up.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    As a person who has invested in the stock market I would suggest against it. The markets are in turmoil anyway. Besides, the real money is in commodities and currency.

I have done some stock trade, as people said it needs a little time to do, but if you can first research around what you really do you can make a good profit, although i have never seriously invested in it because i am just one year older than you and currently in the military.

Given that you know nothing of the stock market, you'd be better off playing blackjack or betting on your favorite sports team.

Deleted
    If you feel passionate for trying it out, then I would recommend you go for it. But it's a bit like when playing a game or betting: Never 'deposit' more than you're willing to lose. If you can follow that simple rule, you MIGHT turn a small profit or you might lose some or all of it. You MIGHT also hit big and earn alot, but there's very few safety nets. So as long as you're willing to say "Okay, that's that" if/when you lose the amount you're willing to spend, you'll be fine.

Heck, you might even have fun with it! I did a bit of stock exchange at an amateur level, I earnt like.. 200 bucks and walked away with the profit. The thing most gamblers cannot do =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasperio View Post
    If you feel passionate for trying it out, then I would recommend you go for it. But it's a bit like when playing a game or betting: Never 'deposit' more than you're willing to lose. If you can follow that simple rule, you MIGHT turn a small profit or you might lose some or all of it. You MIGHT also hit big and earn alot, but there's very few safety nets. So as long as you're willing to say "Okay, that's that" if/when you lose the amount you're willing to spend, you'll be fine.

Heck, you might even have fun with it! I did a bit of stock exchange at an amateur level, I earnt like.. 200 bucks and walked away with the profit. The thing most gamblers cannot do =)
    The difference between investment and gambling is that in gambling the house always wins in the long run. In investment, if you diversify your portfolio, the investor always wins in the long run.

The key is that most people don't think in terms of the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The difference between investment and gambling is that in gambling the house always wins in the long run.
    This isn't true. The house wins in the aggregate, meaning that the sum of all players will lose money. This does not imply that each individual player must lose money. While they're somewhat rare, there are people's whose sole source of income is betting sporting events. It only takes ~56% correct picks to do very well. Remember, they're not trying to outsmart the house (who just wants even bets on each side), they're trying to outsmart the public.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This isn't true. The house wins in the aggregate, meaning that the sum of all players will lose money. This does not imply that each individual player must lose money. While they're somewhat rare, there are people's whose sole source of income is betting sporting events. It only takes ~56% correct picks to do very well. Remember, they're not trying to outsmart the house (who just wants even bets on each side), they're trying to outsmart the public.
    Alright, I guess I was referring to gambling where you bet against the house. Those games are set up to have the odds in the favor of the house. On a long enough timeline, the house always wins. Except in blackjack if you know how to count cards, but the house simply won't play with you if they think you are counting cards.

yea i've thrown money at stocks with decent research didn't pan out well.... heres to hoping they rise in years to come however....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dammer3 View Post
    yea i've thrown money at stocks with decent research didn't pan out well.... heres to hoping they rise in years to come however....
    Well, considering the state of the US economy right now I believe its a pretty fair statement that they'll go up from here

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Well, considering the state of the US economy right now I believe its a pretty fair statement that they'll go up from here
    The stock market's actually done well the last couple years. I wouldn't expect it to outperform what it's done by a significant margin anytime soon.