Bios update turns your 7970 into a 7970 GHZ Edition

http://www.kitguru.net/components/gr...o-ghz-edition/

Oh wow Oo

"Nick Mertes at Icrontic says “We say “almost completely” because there are indeed certain hardware differences between the original and Gigahertz editions. The newer cards have improved sensors for more accurate PowerTune adjustments—but that’s the only physical difference. In all other respects, the upgrade should provide the Gigahertz Edition benefits to the older standard 7970 GPU:

- A higher GPU clockspeed of 1000MHz, up from the 7970′s 925MHz.
    - A higher memory clockspeed of 1500MHz, up from the 7970′s 1375MHz.
    - And PowerTune’s new “Boost” feature, which allows the graphics to dynamically overclock itself up to 1050MHz if the GPU has thermal headroom."

Pretty sick!

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nice! Good on AMD for doing this!! I think now the ball is in NVidia's playing field, let's see how they respond.

*hint, can you please launch the 660 Ti...?*
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Saw that earlier today.
    I'm not really surprised, really.

And I'm unsure how the GTX 660 Ti might bring them the performance crown back for single GPU. :P

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Saw that earlier today.
    I'm not really surprised, really.

And I'm unsure how the GTX 660 Ti might bring them the performance crown back for single GPU. :P
    Well no, I just mean it as another, cheaper option from NVidia in this generation. The only truly good options we have at the moment are the 670 and 680, with the 690 being enormously aimed at a niche market, of course.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I don't see much point in changing this BIOS, when almost any (if not all) 7970 can reach 1050/1500 with ease through AMD Overdrive, unless this BIOS is a better overclocker.

Does this BIOS increase the overclock ceiling in overdrive/afterburner (the driver won't let you go higher than 1300MHz on the core without doing dangerous stuff in the BIOS).

Yes it does, seems to be 1500/2000 with this BIOS (not that it will be stable though =p)

http://www.overclock.net/t/1280246/i...ghz-edition/20 somewhere in that page or the previous one

What difference does changing the bios do? I mean the Ghz edition is the same card just clocked higher yea? No more shaders or anything..
    Just use some OC software and bam you have a Ghz edition.. No need for for bios flashes or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    *hint, can you please launch the 660 Ti...?*
    wtb.... been waiting for this for ages and seems like i'll wait for more ><
    Last edited by Confined; 2012-07-13 at 04:30 PM.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz