New set of golf clubs for a beginner.

I've been looking for a good set of clubs for a beginner and I've pretty much narrowed it down to one of 2 sets.

Adam's Golf Tight Lies 2012

or

Top Flite XL+

Any thoughts on those or any other sets that are in the $300 USD range?

My recommendation would be the Top Flite set because the Adam's doesn't have a 3 or 4 iron and I don't know many golfers, let alone beginners that hit fairway woods well. In all honesty I hit my $700 set as well as the $300 spare set my dad had when I went to Arizona. If you're a beginner it's more about the look and feel of the club because if you like the look of it and feel comfortable that's one mental obstacle you don't have to hurdle. I won't buy a set of clubs no matter how good if I don't like the look of the club head when I'm addressing the ball.
    Last edited by walbomb; 2012-07-11 at 10:43 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fairway Woods are much easier to hit than a 3 or 4 iron, not quite sure what you're talking about. They're way more forgiving as well. Honestly if you're going to be serious about playing, head over to Golf Town or Dick's Sporting Goods (not quite sure where you live). They will usually have some sort of net or thing setup that you can try out clubs on. No one is going to be able to tell you which set is better because it's 100% preference. Call your nearest golf equipment store and ask them if they have either of those and head on down to test them out. They might carry some other ones that you weren't able to find too. Buying a used set woulden't be a terrible idea either just to get the hang of the sport. They'll also be cheaper but you won't be able to try them out before-hand unless the person selling is willing to let you go to a Driving Range first.

Personally if I were in your shoes, I would go with the Adams clubs. Adams typically makes a far superior product to Top Flite, who is generally known for their balls rather than their clubs. However, if you can swing it, go into your local Golfsmith store or other golf shop, and look around. Most places will fit your clubs for you if you buy from them, which I guarantee you will make all the difference in the world. I went from a cheap, generic set of Ram clubs I got from the local mega-mart type store, to a set of TaylorMade irons that were fitted to me (think I spent $500 on the irons), and my game was significantly improved.

Either way, get some clubs and enjoy the game. It's nice to see new people getting into golf. Have fun!

10+ Year Old Account
    fairway woods are much easier to hit than a 3-4 iron for almost anyone that isnt a pro.

Have fun, dont get discouraged when you dont do well because golf IS a very hard sport to get good at. Just go and enjoy the fresh air and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Fairway Woods are much easier to hit than a 3 or 4 iron, not quite sure what you're talking about. They're way more forgiving as well. Honestly if you're going to be serious about playing, head over to Golf Town or Dick's Sporting Goods (not quite sure where you live). They will usually have some sort of net or thing setup that you can try out clubs on. No one is going to be able to tell you which set is better because it's 100% preference. Call your nearest golf equipment store and ask them if they have either of those and head on down to test them out. They might carry some other ones that you weren't able to find too. Buying a used set woulden't be a terrible idea either just to get the hang of the sport. They'll also be cheaper but you won't be able to try them out before-hand unless the person selling is willing to let you go to a Driving Range first.
    I hit my fairway woods well, my 3 wood being one of the better clubs in my bag but none of my buddies or people I golf in tournaments with can't hit one worth a damn and usually use a hybrid or an iron. I was just speaking from experience. I googled it and you're right the pros do say fairway woods are supposed to be easier to hit.
    Last edited by walbomb; 2012-07-11 at 11:25 PM.

I'm not great with fairway woods, but I'm decent. My father-in-law has a 4 hybrid and it's the easiest club I've ever hit. Both of those sets come with at least 1 hybrid club to replace the low irons. The Adams only has a 5H I believe but I found an unbelievable deal on a Nike VR hybrids and would supplement the set with that.

The ones my dad bought as a guest set were from PGA superstore in Chandler, AZ and they were Tiger Sharks and were between $200 and $300 and came with a bag at that price. I thought they hit well if you are looking for a cheap set. I shot an 87 at Eagle Mountain with them and my putting was awful (I don't like the style that came with that set, I prefer a soft face with an offset). They felt good in my hands but may not in yours. Like a couple of the guys said above, get those clubs in your hands, see how the look and feel and go from there. You probably can't go wrong if you pick the one that feels right.

I'm a Taylormade kinda guy... I really love the Burner 2.0 set, or original burner. You can find them from 250-350, original MSRP when they were current was 600-800 depending on steel or graphite. They are middle of the road game improvement irons. Not pro caliber, but not beginner game improvement so you dont feel like you're hitting with a pingpong paddle instead of a club. You can likely find a new or used set on craigslist or ebay as they were and are still a popular club. Burners were last 2-3 year model...this year's model is rocketballz. Good luck, hit em straight.

Ended up getting the Tight Lies clubs, they were on sale for 100$ off. I also supplemented the set with a Nike VR 3 Hybrid.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lespaul5895 View Post
    Ended up getting the Tight Lies clubs, they were on sale for 100$ off. I also supplemented the set with a Nike VR 3 Hybrid.
    That's fine for a beginner. The equipment really doesn't matter that much for a beginner as you will have more problems with your swing than you will have with your clubs. You can even tee off with that Nike Hybrid. I swear half my golf league tee's off with hyrids these days. Take lessons. Get fitted in a year or so. Welcome to the only sport on earth where you get better as you get older.
    Operation Red Wing

I am selling a set of tour eagle beginner golf clubs. They are very cheap and a full set. Still work great, just got a new set for my birthday. This set includes a driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 5iron, 6iron, 7iron, 8iron, 9 iron, pw, putter. I also have a 60 degree I would throw in.