Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Should I be excited?

I'm honestly feeling pretty let down by video game developers altogether these days. I've been away from WoW for nearly 4 months now, and I don't really plan on going back. I waited as long as the rest of us did for Diablo 3, and it felt like a massive let-down to me. I played SWTOR when it was brand-new, and I enjoyed it - but I wasn't that impressed. I'm playing The Secret World out of intrigue and boredom, and it's not really helping to solve the latter.

I entered for one of the Curse Premium beta keys for Guild Wars 2, and lo and behold, I got one. So now I'm counting down the days left until I can try the game out on the 20th... and I really don't know if I should get my hopes up again or not.

What's the consensus from those that have played in the beta so far? Will the game be worth the time we invest into it? Should I be excited for it? Is it going to be a phenomenal gaming experience, or is it going to be an enjoyable weekend at best?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mean to sound like a dick, but you can partially answer this question by looking up things yourself. Nobody here can truly say whether this game will be good for you. You said yourself you have a beta key. Wait it out and play the beta for yourself.

Short answer: They delivered.

What they delivered: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tiated-READ-ME!

You decide.

i kinda just decided earlyer that if guild wars 2 dosn't for fill my need in gaming im done with gaming.
    i am currently playing swtor and i enjoy every min of it but there is a void something that is missing i really enjoyed *back in wotlk and on xbox live* that im not getting so when my days is up *i got like 80 more* i may not resub guild wars 2 is the last game ill be buying. i also got a key for BW3 i enjoyed the hell out of guild wars 1 and can't wait for guild wars 2.

you may be getting in the samespot i am where nothing in gaming feels new or your out growing it or at lease need other things to do as well.

edit: come to think of it it mite be the social part i enjoyed *Bsing with friends while doing whatever* atm in swtor i don't have that cause out of all my friends only a few play it rarely at the same time i do.

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO It's a great game, but there is way too much Hype for it, if you Hype yourself up for it you may get let down. Some people are saying it will be the "second coming of MMO's", wow-killer etc. It won't, it's not there to do that, there is no subscription fee so it doesn't compete for your money, only your time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I've come from the moon and back on my own hype ride, and I'm comfortably settled into what I know, and what I know is that the game, to me, a great MMO that will last me a very long time, perhaps as long as WoW, we'll see.

It's very well made, but I'll admit not everyone will like what the game is (It is a different beast from WoW and shouldn't be treated as such), so you should go in with an open mind, and controlled hype.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Deleted
    If u already got a key , why u are asking us ?
    Batting ?

Deleted
    If you will be excited or not absolutely depends on what you really like. And of course what kind of expectations you have.

Keep your shirt on. Use your BWE key to play it and then decide if you like it. Don't let others decide what is good for you.

The key to playing GW2 is not playing it like WoW. There is no point in racing to level up like we're so use to in other MMO's. Take your time and enjoy the world ArenaNet has made for us and explore it. Understand that dynamic events are not really the same as quests. Take a look a this video which explains it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes&feature=plcp
    If you go in with this mind set, you will have fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I don't mean to sound like a dick, but you can partially answer this question by looking up things yourself. Nobody here can truly say whether this game will be good for you. You said yourself you have a beta key. Wait it out and play the beta for yourself.
    I always like how "I don't mean to X, but" statements always follow with people doing exactly what X was.

My point is that all of the information in the world isn't going to give you any idea of what it will actually be like to play the game first-hand. I kept up with every last piece of information that there was to find about Diablo 3, and it looked amazing as hell (no pun intended). But when I actually got to see the game for myself, it wasn't even on the same level that it felt like it was going to be. Hype is one thing, and I definitely had that going against me - - Marketing strategies are, however, a completely different beast. I'm all too aware that companies want to show you the most impressive parts of their games in hopes that you'll remain ignorant of the down sides until you've forked over your money. So I'm asking for the opinions of people who've already played the game themselves.

And I "will" wait for the beta and play it myself. I also want to hear what other people have to say about it, and I'm entitled to ask them. Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played BWE2 and I'm jazzed
    YMMV.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know. Should you? O_o

Look up some info about the game, you might be surprised.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

That's hard to answer.
    If you find it intriguing from what you've read or seen then by all means look forward to the beta and then decide if you like it or not.
    Don't hype it too much for yourself without backing it up with research and info. You'll be let down in one form or another otherwise just because of a misconception.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterSoup View Post
    I always like how "I don't mean to X, but" statements always follow with people doing exactly what X was.

My point is that all of the information in the world isn't going to give you any idea of what it will actually be like to play the game first-hand. I kept up with every last piece of information that there was to find about Diablo 3, and it looked amazing as hell (no pun intended). But when I actually got to see the game for myself, it wasn't even on the same level that it felt like it was going to be. Hype is one thing, and I definitely had that going against me - - Marketing strategies are, however, a completely different beast. I'm all too aware that companies want to show you the most impressive parts of their games in hopes that you'll remain ignorant of the down sides until you've forked over your money. So I'm asking for the opinions of people who've already played the game themselves.

And I "will" wait for the beta and play it myself. I also want to hear what other people have to say about it, and I'm entitled to ask them. Thanks.
    No one here can tell you whether you should be excited or not and frankly the constant "Will I like game X" threads are annoying clutter that I wish the mods would delete for the simple reason that WE'RE NOT YOU. How the hell can we know if you should be excited or not? There are a ton of posts here and elsewhere on the game and there are dozens of videos. If you've looked through some of that and can't tell whether or not you're going to like it, what are the odds that asking AGAIN will give you your answer?

A lot of people seem to like the game. You have a beta key. In a fairly short time, you'll know.
    Last edited by clevin; 2012-07-12 at 01:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterSoup View Post

In hindsight, my response wasn't very dickish at all. I would like you to point out where I said you weren't entitled to anything, or do you just like pointing out the painfully obvious?

Now THAT was a dickish response.

Just make sure your expectations are in check. Don't get mad if somethings not there that no one ever said would be there, etc.

I don't see anything wrong with getting hyped about a game that's B2P anyways though. There's no real commitment, it's at least worth the box price just to play and experience whether you end up really liking it or not. It's not like there's going to be a sub fee trying to hold you hostage.

Honestly I am extremely excited for this game, and It's not going to let me down, because I'm not expecting anything that hasn't been promised or even already delivered. I really hope you will enjoy this game, I know for sure I definitely will.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the thing though, he wasn't being a dick. It was sound advice, the information on the game is out there.

You shouldn't be asking us to tell you to be excited or not, when we don't know your preferences. We can tell you that, most assuredly, we are excited, but that doesn't mean you will be. Thing is, we got excited by looking up details on the game.

Not trying to sound superior or act like a dick, just stating simple facts: if you want to know the answer to your question, you have to find the answer from gameplay videos, mass info threads, objective fan site articles, etc etc
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Pretty much what a lot of other people said, all of the information you'd ever need is out there. If you want a lot of footage, you can check out this youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHal...y=guild+wars+2. Here's a realy handy skill tool for the recent beta version http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en, read the stickies, http://www.youtube.com/user/Haasth22...y=guild+wars+2 6 out of 8 class "previews" that are pretty impressive and well put together. Just spend a few hours objectively reading/watching and you'l know if it's for you or not.

Deleted
    Personally I'm looking forward to it. I haven't played a beta yet as the first two were before there was a release date. And I'm glad I did, as this time round we get sylvari.

I suppose go on youtube, look up any professions or races you like, as well as either pvp matches or clips from DEs or whatever. That's subjective, but when I get time it's what I do,

If all else fails, you could always be put off gaming for life by trying to get 30/50 HoM in the next month or so xD (yeah...it wasn't that bad >.>).

Only you can say if you should be excited.

All I know is that I'm excited for it.