1. #1

    Looking for a PvP intensive MMORPG

    I'm just looking for a fun game while I wait for new content in the other games I play. I've mained Warrior in WoW for a while and I love most medium armor melee classes. I just love to get into the action and hack and slash. I don't need competitive PvP, just fun PvP. If the game has a competitive PvP scene I don't mind that either. Big numbers are a lot of fun to me too. I don't mind slightly grindy games, less grind to PvP is better.

    Things I like(d):
    - Playing WoW on and off.
    - Playing LoL somewhat frequently. Feel free to recommend a MOBA.
    - Tried Rift in beta, enjoyed it, never subscribed.
    - Watched TERA videos, looked fun. Unsure about quality of PvP.
    - Investigated a few F2P MMO videos and reviews. Perfect World and Dragon Nest looked fun, but I'm not positive about balance/grind length.
    - Not sure if I like the design of GW2. It doesn't seem especially visible to me, from the videos I couldn't really see the action or raw power of characters.

    Does anyone have any recommendations?

  2. #2
    Epic! Edison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Roaming around.
    Posts
    1,514
    (I've only done world pvp in Tera) But for me it's loads of fun, having guild battles 10v10 etc, i'd recommend that if you're willing to spend money on it and level up
    If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Deoxysprime View Post
    I'm just looking for a fun game while I wait for new content in the other games I play. I've mained Warrior in WoW for a while and I love most medium armor melee classes. I just love to get into the action and hack and slash. I don't need competitive PvP, just fun PvP. If the game has a competitive PvP scene I don't mind that either. Big numbers are a lot of fun to me too. I don't mind slightly grindy games, less grind to PvP is better.

    - Not sure if I like the design of GW2. It doesn't seem especially visible to me, from the videos I couldn't really see the action or raw power of characters.

    Does anyone have any recommendations?
    For what it's worth, in GW2 sPvP you are automatically levelled to max every time you join, so no grind is required. You can literally start immediately after character creation.

    For the WvWvW (600-man 3 way server battle w/ seige engines, fortresses, mini dungeons, mobs, etc) you play at your current level, but despite your level you can always help out your team in one way or another.

    Also, all PvP videos have been currently shot with the old FOV/zoom. It appears ANet has unlocked it a bit for players, which IMO should translate into a more definitive battle with more noticeable power. Older PvP vids seem to be obscured by massive particle effects as well, which so far has been toned down a bit more every BWE.

    And finally....no sub fee.
    Last edited by Grraarrgghh; 2012-07-12 at 02:23 AM.
    Corsair 500r - [email protected] - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

  4. #4
    I wouldn't bother with PvP in Tera until they implement the battlegrounds they promised us.

  5. #5
    Go for eve online, Its damn near impossible to avoid pvp in EvE. And it has some of the most intense pvp available.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Go for eve online, Its damn near impossible to avoid pvp in EvE. And it has some of the most intense pvp available.
    Thanks for the suggestion, just looked into it. I'm not looking for a space shooter at the moment though. Does look fun should I ever want that, I'll keep it in mind.

    TERA is sounding pretty good so far. Was thinking of picking up GW2 when it comes out anyway since it's just a one time payment. Any other games to keep an eye out for?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Grraarrgghh View Post
    For the WvWvW (600-man 3 way server battle w/ seige engines, fortresses, mini dungeons, mobs, etc) you play at your current level, but despite your level you can always help out your team in one way or another.
    You're scaled to 80 in WvWvW as well, you just don't get the gear and utility skills.

  8. #8
    Warhammer Online maybe? Not sure how many play it anymore. I found the pvp fun when I played.

    Darkfall for free for all pvp. Not sure how instant the pvp is though, may have to work your way through the game a bit but if you like the feeling of always being in danger then try it.

  9. #9
    I understand you are looking for a MMORPG, but would you consider DOTA2? If you play League and enjoy PVP, I think DOTA2 is worth having a look at if you'd like a high degree of skill in your PVP.

    More casually speaking, Smite is fun as all hell! It's basically League of Legends played from the POV of World of Warcraft.




    Short of that, wait for GW2 in a month or two. Play it for a bit-- no MMO has ever had better PVP.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-07-12 at 03:59 PM.

  10. #10
    The only good PvP games ever made are on life support

    Ultima Online because for corpse looting and robbing people's houses
    DAoC for 3 factions, and epic relic raids with 400-500+ people from all sides fighting at once

    If you never played those games during their heights UO from 97-99 and DAoC from 2001-2003 then you already missed out.

    Also all future PvP games will continue to suck until the stop catering to carebears and bring back corpse looting.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    The only good PvP games ever made are on life support

    Ultima Online because for corpse looting and robbing people's houses
    DAoC for 3 factions, and epic relic raids with 400-500+ people from all sides fighting at once

    If you never played those games during their heights UO from 97-99 and DAoC from 2001-2003 then you already missed out.

    Also all future PvP games will continue to suck until the stop catering to carebears and bring back corpse looting.
    Runescape...

    Just imagine losing your dragonwrath in pvp. All those months for nothing, lol.

  12. #12
    I would check out DayZ Mod for ARMA II. It's a persistent online world that's pretty much The Walking Dead MMO... you can band together with others in the persistent world or backstab them and take their gear. It requires ARMA: Combined Operations from Steam which is $30, but I think it's definitely worth it.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    The only good PvP games ever made are on life support

    Ultima Online because for corpse looting and robbing people's houses
    DAoC for 3 factions, and epic relic raids with 400-500+ people from all sides fighting at once

    If you never played those games during their heights UO from 97-99 and DAoC from 2001-2003 then you already missed out.

    Also all future PvP games will continue to suck until the stop catering to carebears and bring back corpse looting.
    I find corpse looting archaic and unfun. I don't want to grind to get gear to PvP to die and have to grind new gear to go back and do PvP again. That's dull and unfun to me.

    So far I'm looking at TERA and GW2 for PvP. I've taken a look at Smite (it looked like fun) and DotA 2 (I didn't like HoN's hard to view UI and so-dark-I-can't-see-anything setting, DotA 2 didn't have a problem with a dark setting though.) I'll keep a close eye on most recommendations.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    The only good PvP games ever made are on life support

    Ultima Online because for corpse looting and robbing people's houses
    DAoC for 3 factions, and epic relic raids with 400-500+ people from all sides fighting at once

    If you never played those games during their heights UO from 97-99 and DAoC from 2001-2003 then you already missed out.

    Also all future PvP games will continue to suck until the stop catering to carebears and bring back corpse looting.
    Don't forget Asheron's Call (on the Darktide PK server). I spent 6 years on Darktide, and I will tell you, it was the most brutal gaming environment in the history of MMOs.

    But yea, every game today is so fucking carebear. The average player is just a soft, whiny dipshit.

    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    "Elo Hell is where the Ego is greater than the Elo." -Bystekhilcar

  15. #15
    Eve pvp is pretty good

  16. #16
    You should really try out Guild Wars.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Go for eve online, Its damn near impossible to avoid pvp in EvE. And it has some of the most intense pvp available.
    No, just no.

    Eve Online PvP is garbage. Most of the time it takes literally hours and hours to even find a fight. The fights themselves are NEVER fair or balanced (people simply don't go into battle unless they're 100% sure they can win). Thirdly, the ship controls and user interface is extremely clunky and bad.

    That game is bad and it should feel bad, stay away from it.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post
    No, just no.

    Eve Online PvP is garbage. Most of the time it takes literally hours and hours to even find a fight. The fights themselves are NEVER fair or balanced (people simply don't go into battle unless they're 100% sure they can win). Thirdly, the ship controls and user interface is extremely clunky and bad.

    That game is bad and it should feel bad, stay away from it.
    Im sorry but if i wanted a fight i could find one in less than 11 jumps. No fight is ever fair and ballanced, Ship controls and user interface are fine.

  19. #19
    The only rly MMORPG game focused on PvP (open world and battlegrounds) is Warhammer Online. It has its bad and awesome elements but its exactly what you have described above. It shrinked to only 2 active servers - one for EU and one for US. Really you should try it while it lasts. Its dark violent fantasy world with awesome classes.

    You can download the client here - http://ageofreckoning.warhammeronline.com/ and play it to LvL10 for free or subscribe and pay same money as WoW
    You can also try their MOBA F2P alternative Wrath of Heroes - http://wrathofheroes.warhammeronline.com/ which is fast paced PvP but lacks the depth of its older brother

    Check the introduction video made by fans : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODVLZDq6bNU

    This game is slowly dying because of very bad management, marketing and development support - however its the best filler for WoW like PvP MMoRPG.

    While waiting for MoP Im leveling up all characters there to 10, making them semi-twinks and having PvP fun. You can lvl-up as PvP only if you like. Check it out.

  20. #20
    The PvP in Secret World rocks, 75vs75vs75 in one warzone and two additional ones, more WZs coming soon. I find it highly addictive because there are a lot of fun and different objectives and the zones are huge.

    check the leaderboards, PvP is quite busy in TSW
    http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/leaderboard

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •