Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    I want to play Kingdoms of Amalur really bad, but it's still $60 on Steam. If the price went down I'd buy it. I bet EA isn't letting Steam drop the price on it since they allowed the developer to go belly up. Jerks.
    On this I agree, I hope this title ends up in Bioware's or Funcom's hands. After all they are both under the EA thumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played through the Mass Effect series a couple of times, and thoroughly enjoy the story. The combat is easy to get used to, but it becomes highly repetitive. However, the story is phenomenal. Its one of the only games I've stared at through the credits like, "Wow."

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbane View Post
    Skyrim
    Skyrim
    Skyrim

And Icewind Dale.
    Ehh...

I would recommend Might and Magic VI/VII in that case. Huge world with big dungeons, world doesn't feel as empty and redundant as in TES series (sorry to peeps who enjoy TES games).

Dungeon Siege series - don't go for #3, it is worst part of series. DS2BW>DS1>DS3. And, imo, DS>Icewind Dale, sorry again. But hack'n'slash+D&D system ain't gonna work due to loads of balance issues and RNG (unless you are masochist and like to save/load each other time, in example when saving (RNG)throws fail you).

Also too bad you don't look into console variants. Most of good RPGs are there for quite a time.

Torchlight 2 is going to be released some time in the future as well. But it looks like we can't expect it to be released before September
    Last edited by Ferocity; 2012-07-13 at 01:36 AM.

Deleted
    Cant believe no one mentioned Morrowind yet. One of the greatest RPG games ever in my opinion. You should definitely give it a shot if you can deal with the dated graphics but games arent about graphics anyway, especially RPG:s, right? Ofcourse there are mods too to fix that. Only downside in Morrowind would be the combat system, its pretty horrid but other than that its an excellent game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divine Divinity. Open ended RPG... it's a bit older with D2 style graphics available on steam and IMO well worth it's low price.

(Currently on sale for 4$)
    Last edited by Treeskee; 2012-07-13 at 01:40 AM.

I am surprised with all the comments on Lost Odyssey as I absolutely love that game. Bought it on launch for the 360 and played it so much. I know it didn't do well successfully for sales but damn, what a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I played through the Mass Effect series a couple of times, and thoroughly enjoy the story. The combat is easy to get used to, but it becomes highly repetitive. However, the story is phenomenal. Its one of the only games I've stared at through the credits like, "Wow."
    And that's true for all three games.

First game, the final cumulative battle against Sovereign, watching him finally get torn apart after he's ripped the fleets to pieces, awesome.

The second game, escaping the Collector homeworld, after facing down a human Reaper, returning to victory on the Normandy only to have the final screen switch to a view of the invading Reaper fleets . . . that was bloody amazing.

And finally, the third game, now with the extended cut, honestly, I teared up. I NEVER tear up. Not for movies, not for books, and most certainly not for video games. But ME3? Yeah, it got a little dusty in my room. Allergies, you know. Just . . . those final moments with the characters you grew to love after 80-90 hours of gallivanting across the galaxy, coupled with that soundtrack . . .

All three games had me staring at the credits going "holy shit"

And speaking of the credits, the ME3 song played during the credits, Das Malefitz, there's just something I really like about it.
    Putin khuliyo

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Don't play Kingdoms of Amulur, It is bad.
    Out of your listed choices OP I would go with Fallout 3 if you haven't played it. Fallout New Vegas is awesome too. I haven't played Mass Effect 3, but I have heard that it is alright besides the terrible ending. Deus Ex was not nearly as good as it should have been, it was alright though I guess. It was just ridiculously short.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
    Out of your listed choices OP I would go with Fallout 3 if you haven't played it. Fallout New Vegas is awesome too. I haven't played Mass Effect 3, but I have heard that it is alright besides the terrible ending. Deus Ex was not nearly as good as it should have been, it was alright though I guess. It was just ridiculously short.
    After quite a bunch of people said that Kingdoms of Amalur and Deus Ex 3 were very good, why do you expect that your opposite opinion will have any meaning without backing it with some examples / details?

You see, I was thinking about buying Kingdoms of Amalur myself, because most people say it's very good. Should I not buy it because Burnt tells me not to?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vampires the masquerade bloodlines one of the best rpg's I have ever played, shore the ending is buggy and a slightly old game now but every game since cannot live up to it
    Dragon age origins the best of the lastest bioware games
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Wait a month and a half.
    Get Dark Souls.

I haven't played it personally, but I hear it's extremely fun.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    After quite a bunch of people said that Kingdoms of Amalur and Deus Ex 3 were very good, why do you expect that your opposite opinion will have any meaning without backing it with some examples / details?

You see, I was thinking about buying Kingdoms of Amalur myself, because most people say it's very good. Should I not buy it because Burnt tells me not to?
    I'm also one of those people who just don't get the hype around KoA.

I played the demo and I thought it was bad, and here's why:

UI
    The UI is clunky and ugly. It's slow to navigate and the UI looks like it comes from a 90's game.

FoV
    The camera FoV is very near the back of our character, while I don't have the problem of getting headaches it still is uncomfortable.

Graphics
    The graphics are poor, iirc low res. textures and poor lightning were my biggest issues.

Combat
    The combat was better than many other action-RPGs, but it's in no way amazing as some people have hyped it up to be.

You might like it anyway, try the demo before you buy it though.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
    I didn't like the KoA demo when I played it. The voice acting wasn't impressive, and worse, the facial animation didn't line up. The quests and story weren't very interesting either. The combat and graphics were great but the rest of the game weren't up to par. I didn't feel it was worth $60.

Mass Effect 3's ending was, more or less, fixed in the extended cut. It's still not a great ending, but I do enjoy ME3's ending now and the rest of the game by far more than makes up for any remaining issues the current ending has.

Deus Ex is not making out to be my new favorite, but it's still a fun game with an interesting storyline. I should get back to it, but I've found myself in the middle of the Witcher and I'll be working on that for the next few days.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I'm also one of those people who just don't get the hype around KoA.

I played the demo and I thought it was bad, and here's why:

UI
    The UI is clunky and ugly. It's slow to navigate and the UI looks like it comes from a 90's game.

FoV
    The camera FoV is very near the back of our character, while I don't have the problem of getting headaches it still is uncomfortable.

Graphics
    The graphics are poor, iirc low res. textures and poor lightning were my biggest issues.

Combat
    The combat was better than many other action-RPGs, but it's in no way amazing as some people have hyped it up to be.

You might like it anyway, try the demo before you buy it though.
    Oh, thanks for the input. I'm not really bothered by graphics, gameplay is more important to me. I will surely check the demo
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Oh, thanks for the input. I'm not really bothered by graphics, gameplay is more important to me. I will surely check the demo
    Sure, that never fails. And perhaps you'll come to a different conclusion than I did.
    Putin khuliyo

I was also really dissapointed by KOA: Reckoning. It started quite good, but at the end it was just far to easy, it killed all the fun. You can die the first 10 hours maybe, after that you are an invincible killing machine.

I would suggest The Witcher 2. Challenging gameplay, great mature story, awesome graphics,... Since I bought it on day 1 I have played through it 5 times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the PC version is a complete different game, but the PS3 version of KoA: Reckoning doesn't have bad graphics, it is not easy, have a good UI/inventory and the camera is fine.

Deleted
    Mass Effect 1 & 2 are 50% off on Steam atm.

Both the Witcher games are awesomesauce. Specifically The Witcher 2 is my current #1 of all RPGS i've played (and they are many :P ). Certainly DO try it!

Cant believe nobody has mentioned any of the final fantasy games lol . Picking any from 1987's FF1 is a good choice but i suggest any from ff7 upwards most are gaming world class others not so .