Thread: Ipad or Iphone?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Get a Galaxy Nexus. It's an amazing phone and if you ever decide to try rooting and such, it's got a giant developer support.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the newest android phones better than the iphone 4s. But I still like the newest ipad better than other tablets... though I've heard great things about the asus transformer tablet.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

So, we've got an Android/iPhone war (which I'm always down for, by the way), but this doesn't answer the OP's question at all. Honestly, the OP's question doesn't really make sense to me though. It seems a bit like asking whether you should get a computer or a TV... um, the one you're intending to use, I guess? Smartphones and tablets aren't really competitor products.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    Going to get a new phone today. Will be the first smartphone I've ever owned. I've also been wanting an Ipad for awhile so I can't decide. I have the option to get both, but would having both be a little goofy? Should I get an Ipad, and save money by getting a cheaper smart phone like the Droid? Help!!
    I had both, but since getting the iPhone 4S last year, I started using my iPad less and less. I recently sold it to help pay for a Macbook Air instead. It really just depends on your usage, though.

Once I got my iPhone, and then bought a Kindle a few months later, my iPad was relegated to watching movies and reading comics. I didn't really enjoy web surfing on it and having to constantly resize pages and all that. I had to start carrying a wireless keyboard around for school which got a bit annoying, and then I ran into storage constraints. That all led me to just get a MBA instead (which I don't regret, best computer I've ever owned).

One thing to consider, concerning getting an iPad + Android phone, is that you'll be in two different ecosystems. May not be a big issue for you but I found it annoying. I had an Android phone before my iPhone. Also, keep in mind that Apple will be releasing a new iPhone this fall (October if it's the same as last year) so I would recommed holding out if you can stand it. The new iPhone is rumored to have a bigger screen (which would make the iPad an even harder sell to me), LTE, and stronger, faster, leap tall bldgs.

There's also rumors swirling about an iPad "mini" but that could be total hogwash.
    Last edited by Bavol; 2012-07-13 at 02:59 PM.

I thought you wanted a smartphone, so why do you consider an iPhone?

Okay all apple jokes aside....If this is your first smartphone I'd suggest buying either a decent Android phone (you have lots of stupid android phones, don't buy those, but think like the Samsung Galaxy S3 or the HTC One X) OR get an iPhone 4(s)

After you get used to having a smartphone then rethink whether you actually need a tablet. Besides the bigger screen real estate for watching movies and browsing the web, I find that it has no added value whatsoever. It's too big to carry around wherever you go and I personally like to carry fewer things with me wherever I go. So I found that a tablet would only be used in doors...but then I have a tv and a computer, so I figured I don't need a tablet after all.

You might get to a different conclusion, but either way, get a smartphone first, then decide on a tablet.

EDIT: Getting the Galaxy Nexus (which I have) is also a great android phone choice, but unless you know why you want a nexus over other android phones, I think you might just like the custom skins (yugh) that the other phones offer.
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

Unless you are a die hard App store user, the iPad novelty will quickly wear off. It's not really a great e-reader, the internet experience is better on a computer, and if you have an iPhone, most of the cool apps are available there, albeit smaller.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    For a phone - you want simple, predictable and easy. Android is none of that.
    Never had an Android phone in my life, got one a week ago and after fiddling for an hour I knew everything about it. Just becuase you can't use it doesn't mean everyone else can't. Funny that you say Androids are overpriced aswell when Iphone is the definition of it.

I still recommend the Samsung Galaxy Ace, got it cheap for 130 quid and it's top notch.

So what did you get?

Try to find something without the cool shiny apple logo on it

Deleted
    I own a HTC Sensation XE, since I believe in the phone department there are plenty of Android devices that do what the iPhone does at same or lower price.

I do own an iPad3, since it is the best tablet and has several features that the competition, even within similar price categories, lack. It's that simple. I'm still studying and my desktop is, obviously, at home. The iPad just changed how I enjoy multimedia. Sure, I can browse on my phone too, I can watch videos on it too, I can read the newspaper (somewhat) on it too, but the iPad does all of it a lot better. How? Fluidity, integration and the screen.
    It may sound corny, but the iPad changed my life. I used to be in my room all the time, surfing/gaming/watching movies/listening to music on my PC. The iPad basically makes me sit downstairs more, seeing my parents/grandparents/brothers and sisters more. It's much more enjoyable. Stupid, I know, but I enjoy the company of my family members, being born in a household with 6 kids. I still game on my PC, in my room, but now I can do all those other things downstairs in the living room, while lounging on the sofa.

The iPad makes browsing the internet, watching youtube/anime/series etc. viable for me personally, without having to be in front of my desk. The screen of my phone is too small, I can't use it for an hour straight without getting annoyed. It's good for short sessions, and especially for music which is my main phone use, but not for the length of a movie.
    Another thing is: I love reading my 2 newspapers, a regular one and a business one. The yearly subscription for both, paper versions, costs me 601€. Which isn't bad at 1.6€/day (buying them in store would cost me 4.8€ per day). Now I swapped my subscriptions to digital subscriptions at 300€ per year. Not only that, I enjoy reading them on my iPad more than anything (even though I'm absolutely not interested in e-books compared to paper). They get downloaded to my Newsstand when I'm asleep and I can read them during my daily commutes. A cheaper, more enjoyable experience. Both newspapers have special iPad editions, full-fledged editions as opposed to the limited versions due to phone screen size.

A lot of TLDR, I know. Personally, the iPad has enriched my digital life. I thought I wouldn't need this gadget, thought it was a gimmick, a marketing effect convincing people they need something they don't.
    For me it's not. I was wrong. Doesn't mean anyone else gets the same mileage out of his iPad though. You just have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages. I was considering my purchase almost a year before I bought it (in april). We all have different hobbies, interests and needs. The iPad satisfies several needs (and it basically saves me quite a bit of money through those digital subscriptions), so I'm content.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Salt View Post
    Get an android tablet, they are much better, and customizable.
    Customizable? Absolutely. You have to ask yourself if you truly need that type of customization though. I personally don't.

But downright better? Based on what? Availability of apps? Screen quality? Ease of use? Browsing experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Can you provide an example of something that the iPhone 4S empirically kicks the ass of its Android competitors on?
    That's just it, isn't it? If someone advocates an Apple product and says it's better than the competition, they have to provide data/testimonials/independent research. If someone claims "Android tablets are much better", people stand up and applaud the rich analysis.

Now I don't keep up with any of these Sony vs. Microsoft, Apple vs. Android, COD vs. Battlefield discussions since I always seem to end up getting both sides of the spectrum and frankly I don't care. It's juvenile to feel personally assaulted because someone else criticizes the product you invested time, money and psychological resources in, turning a perfectly normal thread into an emotional non-discussion.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2012-07-18 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    That's just it, isn't it? If someone advocates an Apple product and says it's better than the competition, they have to provide data/testimonials/independent research. If someone claims "Android tablets are much better", people stand up and applaud the rich analysis.

Now I don't keep up with any of these Sony vs. Microsoft, Apple vs. Android, COD vs. Battlefield discussions since I always seem to end up getting both sides of the spectrum and frankly I don't care. It's juvenile to feel personally assaulted because someone else criticizes the product you invested time, money and psychological resources in, turning a perfectly normal thread into an emotional non-discussion.
    I feel like you've got this the wrong way around. While people may join in and support the claim that Android devices are without providing any evidence/reasoning, a lot have; a number of Android users have not only given personal opinions as to why they think Android is better (as has Apple users) but they have also provided unbiased/measurable proof or reasoning that Android is better. I've been following this thread since the start and I can't recall reading a post from an Apple user recommending their product based on anything other than personal experience, whereas Android users have at least attempted to point out why theirs is empirically better. Now, personal opinions are completely valid input, my only reason for making this comment is to rebut your claim of double standards.

Just to reiterate why some people feel they're better, which has been stated multiple times already, Android offer a significantly larger selection of options than the Apple counterpart. This allows the users a greater freedom of choice enabling them to select the product which is perfect/appropriate for their individual needs or price point. Furthermore an Android device available at a cheaper or equivalent price are almost always more powerful (processor/memory/graphics etc) than the Apple counterpart; I don't know of any scenario where an Android device is technologically inferior to an Apple product at the same price point. Beyond those points which are relevant to everyone, they also provide infinitely more customisation options than Apple which is a huge draw card for a lot of people (read: a lot, not all). The option for a larger screen size.. etc

I could go into more detail, provide several more paragraphs of details, but by this point you'll either understand the Android perspective or you never will. Now that's ok, so long as you don't continue to spread lies of double standards.

All that said, it all comes down to the user and what they feel comfortable with. All the technological advancements in the world may not appeal to some people simply because it compromises the user experience and it's too complicated to use. I can only speak personally in my recommendation for Android devices, and as I've said in previous posts, I find the Android OS to be much more user friendly and provides the performance and customisation that I expect from a mobile in this day and age at a more reasonable/justifiable price range.
    Last edited by Schmiggy; 2012-07-18 at 11:14 PM.

As it will be your first smart-phone, have an iphone.. Use this for a while and see if you are comfortable using its functions and iOS, then go for the costly option i.e. ipad.......

Wait for iphone 5... It will be a great experience to have the most awaited cell phone....