Thread: Scammer Galore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    As far as I'm concerned, Blizzard not only doesn't frown on stuff like this, but they encourage it. Their systems are easily exploited, they will take no action to help those that get screwed, and probably worst of all, they have an official trade forum. If they don't think it's a good idea to trade with random players, why the fuck do they have a forum whose sole purpose is to encourage trading with random players? That just seems like the most backwards logic possible to me.

There's a damn good reason I refuse to use any means of trading that's not the AH, unless it's with a RL friend. And really, the only trading I do with RL friends, is with a friend that plays in the same room as me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    10/7/2012 20:17
    Savaritaine
    Customer Service Representative
    Greetings xxxxxx,

Thank you for reporting the behaviour of this player with the battletag Reddawn. Rest assured we will investigate this further and take the appropriate action in accordance with our policy.

We are sorry to hear that you are discouraged by the actions of other players. We realise that behaviour of this nature may seem unfair or dishonourable, but we cannot interfere in situations which are intended to be resolved by players. Never trade in Diablo 3 with playes you do not know. If these go wrong we do not have a way to correct or reimburse any lost gear or gold should any scam occur.

Regards,

xxxxxxx

Game Master Team
    Blizzard Entertainment Europe
    Yep, that looks a lot like the kind of reply myself got once. Just baffles me though; if you get scammed by someone, exactly what is it you're suppose to do? It's an atypical insincere corporate response that essentially says how sorry they are but going to do zilch about it.

Blizzards reponse to this situation that they have created is hilarious to me..."sorry, we only got $300m from this game, it wasnt enough to make a sensible trade UI. or to pay people to investigate scams. it didnt even cover the cost of solid gold hookers for all of the company directors. some of them had to have gold plated. they were pissed, i can tell you. slap in the face. and the fact that we are letting scammers run wild is nothing to do with forcing people to use the RMAH. oh no. its just coincidence. have a nice day!"

what is happening in the game is purely a result of their game design and support decisions. you have items that can be sold for real money, and a policy that means scammers have, literally, nothing to lose. what did they expect to happen? they need to man up and take responsibility for the mess they have created. either start policing the game properly, and banning people that try to scam, or turn off the RMAH to reduce the incentive to scam in the first place.

since both those options will cost them money, i wouldnt expect to see either any time soon.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    forcing people to use the RMAH
    it's not even just the rmah, they simply don't want to pay support and service staff. Personally I find it rather sad that so little is done regarding scams and bots but well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm surprised, given how much of a reputation Diablo games have for being full of scammers, they didn't design in-person trades to have a little more security. Obviously, the AH route is there, and I'm glad for that (I'd rather gear actually drop such that 'single-player' was reasonable, but whatever). It's certainly possible that in the future might change the trade interface to make it less scammer-friendly, so I'd keep on with the reporting.

I only play and trade with people I know. I'd like to think that if I were trading with random people I'd be careful enough to not get taken, but scamming douchebags do it full-time and all I have on my side is paranoia.

Since I don't bother with the forums On weekends- and yesterday was a holiday for me:

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    "First and for most" you have no idea whatsoever of what proof i provided, which as i said was complete, 100% undeniable proof that he was a scammer.

I'm not even going to bother with the rest of your reply, you can't read past your rage.
    No what you said was this:
    SNIP...even with complete proof, simple as.
    Post #10. In your original contribution post (#4), you don't have any proof listed just a edit reply from blizzard- I came in after the edit, and what was there before the edit is missing- maybe you shouldn't have deleted it.

You are right, I may not have what you provided as proof, but this is the internet its not hard to infer what was used or said - especially when all you said is "complete proof". The inference can be rectified by the initiating individual providing Light to the subject. 2. You aren't going to reply to the rest of my post because you: A. Don't have any thing good to respond with, B. There wasn't really anything else to respond to as its mainly examples. Which is why you want to chock it up to rage when It wasn't written in rage, though your post can very easily be interpreted as you "not able to read past your rage". The only part that even comes across as "angry" is the first part which was used merely as an example. You should read for comprehension, think a bit then reply, instead of these quick 1 or 2 sentence responses that don't really add to your defense nor add to the discussion.

Back on topic:
    Going to have to Agree with Mnevis. Trade with people you know, use the auction house and try to avoid trading with Players directly. Its a game not a job, "maximizing profit" isn't necessary to enjoy the game. Yes, you can make it a job with the RMAH in play, especially with the ability to now sell gold through it, but it will be hard unless you are like a botter and have several accounts running bots 24/7. Cludo and Apathy have the right idea, just pay attention. One doesn't have to drag and drop the items in the window, watch/monitor the gold amount before accepting, and check the item to make sure its still the same and hasn't been swapped out- refers to item for item trades or if you are the one using gold to purchase an item.

Deleted
    Had a funny case again today, had found a nice amulet and figured I'd check if anyone at general would buy it. One guy, after several lowballers, asked me for a price and I just threw the first number at him that came to my mind. Figured there was no way he was going to accept. That was the first warning sign when he instantly invited me to group and ever wrote the money on the trade window, but then started asking if the item was legit.

I was like huh? Why wouldn't it be legit? He then explains that it wasn't duped or bugged. That was the second warning sign and then he asked me to move the item between the slots in the trade window, to supposedly prove to him it was a legit item.

I had to laugh and just told him to go waste someone else time and left.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    That is exactly why I use the AH for big transactions. I throw it up for a bid and no buyout and let the AH take care of the rest.

Also the best scam is:

"Hey I can't see the item. Put it in a different slot in the trade window pl0x." *You try to move it to a different slot but it drops to the ground. Scammer picks it up and leaves game.*
    Wow, are you serious? Does really moving an item in a different area of trade window grid drops it on the ground? That is so broken
    Or is the scammer trying to close the trade window as the person does it?

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenion View Post
    Wow, are you serious? Does really moving an item in a different area of trade window grid drops it on the ground? That is so broken
    Prediction of the victim, Tries closing it pretty much making you drop the item lol

Deleted
    Yeah, that's exactly what they do. The same thing works the other way around as well. The scammer instead is the seller, probably posing as selling some amazing item for literally nothing. Then on the trade window, as the buyer is typing the gold into the window, he pulls the item off just before the buyer hits accept, thus getting the gold but not giving the item.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    Yeah, that's exactly what they do. The same thing works the other way around as well. The scammer instead is the seller, probably posing as selling some amazing item for literally nothing. Then on the trade window, as the buyer is typing the gold into the window, he pulls the item off just before the buyer hits accept, thus getting the gold but not giving the item.
    That is pretty funny and sad at the same time, Blizz should put "unable to pick up" window upon dropping on the ground. Similar to how RO does it when mob drops a loot.

Deleted
    That is pretty funny and sad at the same time, Blizz should put "unable to pick up" window upon dropping on the ground. Similar to how RO does it when mob drops a loot.
    Aye, though the word I'd use is disconcerting. The first way is easily avoidable, even by players but when the scammer acts as the buyer, it is a lot more difficult for a player to spot and avoid. Ofc the solution is to not use trading forums but there are easy way for Blizz to kill that type of behavior, like you already suggested.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    i've had one guy trying to remove a 0 after typing the correct amount, but I don't get how you get scammed like this though.. if I wait to hit accept until he hits accept with the correct gold value, I would think there's no issue?

If they try to remove a 0 after hitting accept my accept button is untriggered afaik..