Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you think that someone could really kill a bear with his bare hands?

I've read at least a dozen accounts of this happening (even once, a Grizzly bear).

Do you think this is even possible, and if so, how? I mean when you look at humans we are weak. We don't have claws, or fur, or scales. We have to use our brain to use what is around us to forge weapons and armor, so I'm wondering how a bare-handed human could defeat a bear in a melee. Is the human brain really this powerful, or are these stories all bogus?

Sounds like he stuck his fist down the bears throat, and bit its neck and made it suffocate to death.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Seems legit. Local folk legends don't exist. People aren't gullible. Nobody would ever embellish such a story. If it's on a plaque, it happened.

the method he went about it was pretty flawless... if i'm thinking about it right, he must have shoved his whole arm down it's throat when it jumped to bite him. it's totally possible imo, animals tend to freak a bit when they get choked... atleast, from what i've seen with my cats and dogs if they get a piece of food stuck. so while the bear was freaking out he bit it and got really lucky. not a lot of power would be needed, he just relied on the bear's instinct to gag out what's choking it.

I honestly doubt it, humans aren't made to fight bears(actually there was a documentary about it on the dutch television last night about grizzly and black bears in Alaska and such protecting their cubs).

Humans don't stand a chance at close combat (even WITH a gun you're pretty much fucked cause a female grizzly/black bear with cubs WILL fuck you up to protect their cubs)

Long range however, depends on how many shots you can hit the bear with. Keep in mind they smell you from 3km+ distance(Should be around 2 ish miles) and they run FAST. Their power is just really insane(crushing skulls with one single bite).

Deleted
    I think it is possible although very very rare or maybe unique.

My favorite part is that after the bear is bleeding out, he beats the bear with a stick.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Puh I dont know. The first thing that came to my mind was that the bear could have just chopped off his arm... And just a hit with his claw would have been enough to break all his bones.

I guess if its true, this guy was super super super super lucky

totally possible

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    My favorite part is that after the bear is bleeding out, he beats the bear with a stick.
    Wrong. He didn't break the jugular with his teeth, he pinched it, ceasing blood flow to the brain. It's called a "blood choke." and it takes roughly 10 seconds to induce unconsciousness with one, but a couple of minutes for it to be outright fatal. But if he was too exhausted to maintain the blood choke then it would have made sense to let go and beat it to death before it awoke.

10+ Year Old Account
    I recently watched a programme in which it was asked 'can you survive a tiger attack ?'

Surprisingly yes you can, BUT you need to be aware of said tiger jumping you and then be lucky to get your fist in its mouth. Yeah, lucky to get your hand into a man eaters mouth you think, why the fuck would i do that ? Well a tiger has a very weak gag reflex, so if you can get something into its mouth and push against the back of its throat, it WILL let go of whatever it has hold of

Yes the circumstances HAVE to be perfect and RNG on your side, but shit like this and in the OP can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    I've read at least a dozen accounts of this happening (even once, a Grizzly bear).

Do you think this is even possible, and if so, how? I mean when you look at humans we are weak. We don't have claws, or fur, or scales. We have to use our brain to use what is around us to forge weapons and armor, so I'm wondering how a bare-handed human could defeat a bear in a melee. Is the human brain really this powerful, or are these stories all bogus?
    I heard a story happening here but the guy died too. What happened, the bear came charging him ( the man was one of the best hunters in my country ) he was just clearing the camp he set the day before ( he went fishing, so no guns ) his adrenalin kicked in, move to the side, jumped on him and started to choke him and yes ( as this guy did in your post OP ) with his teeth he torn the bears neck vein, the bear went furious, knocked him down ( after a couple of seconds ) and the guy fell down, the bear fell on him and crushed his lungs.

Both were found dead couple of hours later 'cause the camp wasn't far from the local fisherman hut/club.

There were pictures on some hunters website here, but they were taken down because of the grousomnes it involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Wrong. He didn't break the jugular with his teeth, he pinched it, ceasing blood flow to the brain. It's called a "blood choke." and it takes roughly 10 seconds to induce unconsciousness with one, but a couple of minutes for it to be outright fatal. But if he was too exhausted to maintain the blood choke then it would have made sense to let go and beat it to death before it awoke.
    If he was too tired to maintain the hold I doubt he would be able to handle a log big enough to do anything. I don't think whacking it with a stick is gonna do much.

Deleted
    dont know whats so special i did this just this morning

looked at me cross eyed

Wouldn't you just get a mouth full of thick fur?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayp View Post
    dont know whats so special i did this just this morning

looked at me cross eyed
    should have used cross ways- more hunter-esk/hillbilly sounding.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's possible, but only because this man got very, very lucky by a.) finding a bear that was not expecting, in the slightest, to get a fist shoved down its throat, by b.) finding the jugular on probably his first try and by c.) not getting his arm bitten off in between points a and b.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazia View Post
    Your mom is so fat shes the reason blizzard made a limit on mage food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    If words bother you that much perhaps you should try being amish so you can avoid them.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's possible if you can get at the bear's throat and avoid it's claws. Not easy, but possible.

And by "not easy" I mean "almost impossible." There's a reason why, in our evolution, we compensated for our lack of physical strength with technology.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2012-07-12 at 05:10 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

if you have some knowledge about some form of martial arts you could probably outsmart the bear and hit his vital spots by giving him a concussion to the head, or make him fall over while he charges you and simliar. you could also use a rock to amplify your striking power. humans fight with their brains while bears only fight with brute force.

its possible imo, the more you know about martial arts, the easier it gets. for normal people its gonna be a deathstruggle, but theres a chance.

humans can do some crazy shit while under the effects of an adrenaline rush too.
    Last edited by Ghul; 2012-07-12 at 04:44 PM.

Deleted
    It's certainly possible in regards to it being a freak occurrence rather than something commonplace, though it goes without saying that it would be exceptionally risky to attempt, not to mention very cruel.