Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    Not sure I follow you. Are you saying PSU will receive NCAA sanctions in sports other than football? If so, what for?

Then you seem to be upset that the kids that are there now will be punished for the actions of the administrators, and immediately after that you say that they deserve the death penalty. Well wouldn't that be a huge punishment for the kids that are there now, as well as athletes playing sports other than football at PSU?
    Maybe I wasn't clear. The PSU football team deserves the death penalty. They should be allowed to let current students leave , transfer, whatever. But this is the worst case of institutional control ever. SMU got the death penalty because they paid players and did other illegal activities around the program, something that goes on at every major football program now--if you disagree you are being very naive. PSU coaches and adminsitrations covered up child rape. Everything in happy valley revolved around Paterno. He covered it up and PSU should pay for letting him. But they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    At first I was shocked because Paterno was old-fashioned in a good way: he believed in his players first. He believed in putting the future of the students first, and so that meant doing things the right way, and making sure they got their education. He didn't break all sorts of rules just to build a winner like so many other programs did. He was old, and he stuck to his old-fashioned ways that we view as more ethical compared to what commonly happens now.

Then I realized that hiding a family's dirt and shame is another old-fashioned value, and suddenly I was no longer surprised.
    he was an old catholic, you know, that church that has covered up pedophilia for as long as we can remember....just in the NE USA the number of pedophilia-related cases that have been buried by the church number in the THOUSANDS, over 200 from one priest alone who was buried with honors

---------- Post added 2012-07-12 at 10:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdoletoo View Post
    Maybe I wasn't clear. The PSU football team deserves the death penalty. They should be allowed to let current students leave , transfer, whatever. But this is the worst case of institutional control ever. SMU got the death penalty because they paid players and did other illegal activities around the program, something that goes on at every major football program now--if you disagree you are being very naive. PSU coaches and adminsitrations covered up child rape. Everything in happy valley revolved around Paterno. He covered it up and PSU should pay for letting him. But they won't.
    i agree that's what SHOULD happen, as long as EVERY kid gets a chance to go somewhere else without any penalties, but it won't because it's not an athletics-related incident

---------- Post added 2012-07-12 at 10:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Supern3rd View Post
    I don't even know why Patterno is even a matter in this discussion anymore. The dude is dead. All of these accusations and new details coming out about it are only going to hurt Patternos family for something Joe tried to cover up. His family isn't a part of it. What matters is Sandusky did what he did, and he's paying for it. To release new evidence regarding a dead man actively trying to cover up a crime his co-worker committed, and then interviewing his family regarding the situation(because you obviously can't interview a dead guy) is dense. The media is going to blow this thing up and you guys are going to get indulged in the fact that they found evidence that a dead guy knew about it the whole time. You'll never hear Patternos real side of the story. He's dead..All of his secrets died with him. The only thing you will get to hear about is speculation that the media creates and generic answers that his family will give you.

Focus on Sandusky and what he did. Not what a dead guy used to know about the situation.
    his family is still supporting and defending him, his family is making a PROFIT off his name and his brand and this hurts their potential earnings

that's what this is about. when his dipshit son defends him it makes me want to punch him in his fluffy face. they're all protecting their own interests. there is a LOT more going to come of this. joe paterno transferred his estate to his wife to avoid the possible loss of it when the victims sue him in civil court. they're a crooked, dirty, sneaky bunch
    Last edited by fizzbob; 2012-07-13 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    if people focused half as much on politics and economics as they did on sports, how different would the world be?
    How boring would it be?

I don't disagree with a thing you've said. Thanks for the clarification.

Now, for a little devils advocate, if you don't mind. People are going to argue that while this is possibly the worst example of a loss of institutional control, PSU Football gained no competitive advantage through these actions, and I'm not sure what NCAA rules they violated, with the exception of the "egregious misconduct" aspect that I read on the Wikipedia entry.

But I want to stress that I agree with you, but that's the only real defense I can see people putting forth.
    I am going to link an article that explains more my point. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/emmert-...96--ncaaf.html

"The primary matter for the NCAA is application of its own definition of a "lack of institutional control." If the NCAA can apply it to the alleged cover-up at Penn State, it could harshly penalize the football program and also hand down broad punishment across Penn State athletics."

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Sadly, everything that some people were saying about PSU and Patterno is indeed true. He knew about Sandusky and actively tried to cover it up. All for everyone to see, plain as day, in the report released today.

All those that blindly defended Patterno and the program will hopefully realize how incredibly wrong they were.

http://deadspin.com/5925443/everythi...-on-penn-state

Yes, because someone they paid to do a report that exonerated anyone still with the university/alive is trustworthy! You do realize that this is not a legal document right? None of this has any basis in reality, they basically made things up out of thin air for half of it.

BLAME IT ON THE DEAD GUY HE CANNOT FIGHT BACK!

I see you are from Alabama, quit hating just because they are more popular football team then yours :P (Though not better)

---------- Post added 2012-07-12 at 11:20 PM ----------

I find it hilarious though that people are hating more on Joe Paterno then both A. the person that RAPED THE KIDS, and B. the person that saw him raping kids and DID NOTHING ABOUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    Yes, because someone they paid to do a report that exonerated anyone still with the university/alive is trustworthy! You do realize that this is not a legal document right? None of this has any basis in reality, they basically made things up out of thin air for half of it.

BLAME IT ON THE DEAD GUY HE CANNOT FIGHT BACK!

I see you are from Alabama, quit hating just because they are more popular football team then yours :P (Though not better)

---------- Post added 2012-07-12 at 11:20 PM ----------

I find it hilarious though that people are hating more on Joe Paterno then both A. the person that RAPED THE KIDS, and B. the person that saw him raping kids and DID NOTHING ABOUT IT
    b) the guy who told joe paterno about it, who in turn covered it up. Yep you win

b) the guy who told joe paterno about it, who in turn covered it up. Yep you win

So in your opinion, if someone sees someone RAPING A KID, he should wait til the next day, and tell his boss. Not try to stop it. Not call the police. Tell his boss. Who has absofuckinglutely nothing to do with law enforcement. And that is fine with you. Ok then. I do win

10+ Year Old Account
    What kills me are all of the sympathy donations that are going to Penn State over the whole situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can be heartened by the knowledge that it'll go to pay some of the civil settlements.
    Yeah that's true. :S

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    All those that blindly defended Patterno and the program will hopefully realize how incredibly wrong they were.
    That's what this is about for most people, isn't it? I was right and they were wrong! Ha ha ha ha haaaa haaa!

The rest of this thread solidifies that.

15+ Year Old Account
    those that blindly defend him have issues that aren't going to be resoved by any over-the-top comment I want to make.

What else...

10+ Year Old Account
    So in your opinion, if someone sees someone RAPING A KID, he should wait til the next day, and tell his boss. Not try to stop it. Not call the police. Tell his boss. Who has absofuckinglutely nothing to do with law enforcement. And that is fine with you. Ok then. I do win
    Are you referring to a janitor or Joe Paterno and faculty? Because they both technically did the same thing.

The parallels between this and the behavior of other notable child molestation scandals paints a pattern pertaining it seems to this type of abuse.

The pattern is that everyone involved becomes milquetoast and/or somehow comes to think that the best thing is for this to go away. It's pretty fucked up when you think about the damage done to the young men. Even after the rape, some of these boys had to relocate because, kids will be kids.

It's terrible and I don't understand why the automatic response always seems to be to try to protect the perpetrator. Once that person is discovered involved in acts of that nature, that's the end of it. What a truly cold heart you must need to have to care so little about inflicting so much harm upon a young child. Either that or they really give a fuck about their little tribe, whether it's Penn State or wherever it might be.

Joe Paterno ran PSU and everything around it. If you think he could not control the cops, you don't know Joe Paterno.

Joe Paterno ran PSU and everything around it. If you think he could not control the cops, you don't know Joe Paterno.
    I agree. News sources I trust claim Joe was bigger than his superiors on paper.

I blame Mike McQueary more then Paterno, McQueary is the one that walked in on Sandusky having intercourse with a kid in the showers, he should have went straight to the police THEN told his boss. If you want to blame someone, blame the ______ that actually witnessed the event.

If everyone went to the police about a "rumor" they heard you would never get another speeding ticket, because they would all be tied up in investigations. Yes the rumor ended up being true, but a majority of rumors are complete made up stories. And yes the way society is now and was then, it wouldn't have surprised me for someone to make up a child molestation rumor as fucked up as that would be.

TL;DR: Blame the witness

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I blame Mike McQueary more then Paterno, McQueary is the one that walked in on Sandusky having intercourse with a kid in the showers, he should have went straight to the police THEN told his boss. If you want to blame someone, blame the ______ that actually witnessed the event.

If everyone went to the police about a "rumor" they heard you would never get another speeding ticket, because they would all be tied up in investigations. Yes the rumor ended up being true, but a majority of rumors are complete made up stories. And yes the way society is now and was then, it wouldn't have surprised me for someone to make up a child molestation rumor as fucked up as that would be.

TL;DR: Blame the witness
    I think quite honestly there is plenty of blame to go around. The culpability is systemic in these kinds of abuse cases within elevated institutions, it seems.

I have no opinion about Joe Paterno(not being a college football fan I only vaguely knew he was some all time great coach who had been coaching for a hundred years before all this happened), but that's just dumb.

If(I stress if - this is an INTERNAL REVIEW. The person who wrote this report was being paid by the people who currently run the school. If you can't see the conflict of interest there then sorry) what the report found is completely accurate, then the guy who initially told him is just as guilty as anyone else. If I see someone raping a kid my boss isn't the first and only person I'm telling.

It was a complete breakdown from the top down to the bottom of PSU, Joe Paterno is just getting more blame than anyone else(in some cases even more than the guy who RAPED THE KIDS) because he's famous and now he's dead so he can't defend himself.
    Last edited by nnelson54; 2012-07-13 at 07:41 AM.

It's an internal review. You pointed it out yourself. Who else was gonna pay for it?

Joe Paterno was the most powerful man on campus. If anyone had the power to prevent this, it was him. And so, rightfully, he receives the most blame for the coverup.

So, in your opinion, the person that saw it all happen and did not call the police or run in and bust the mans skull is not to blame at all. Mmmk then. He was probably so senile (Gophers fan) that he did not even know what was going on in any aspect of anything but football.

So, in your opinion, the person that saw it all happen and did not call the police or run in and bust the mans skull is not to blame at all. Mmmk then. He was probably so senile (Gophers fan) that he did not even know what was going on in any aspect of anything but football.
    Those who have the ability to take action, have the responsibility to take action.