Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How to become a designated marksman?

>EU
    >living in Romania (romanian by nationality)
    Does anyone have any idea on how to become a designated marksman in the marine corps? I kinda want to become one in the future, but I'm not really sure, and I don't have any idea where to start.
    Last edited by mmoce45982384d; 2012-07-12 at 10:03 PM.

Deleted
    If I tell you I'll have to kill you .

Deleted
    I can look some stuff up for you if you want? It all strongly depends what country you're from however.

If you want, you can PM me and I'll see if I can help you in any way ^^

Edit: I looked up 'Calamar' and all I found was Colombia. Is this correct?

Deleted
    He's from Zimbabwe

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure they just select you if you score high enough in marksmanship courses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Deleted
    I also went to marksmanship training in Congo , they put us to shoot after f*cking watermelons . God damn Africans and their water melons

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-07-12 at 11:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Designated marksman in the Marine Corps, US or UK?
    In the US you would start with local recruiter and try and get an infantry slot, which is not hard. Then you would have to prove your skill with a rifle in boot camp. After that, there are further routes in infantry school and ultimately getting into and passing scout sniper school.
    If you are talking about being on a marksmenship team, it is a similar path.

---------- Post added 2012-07-12 at 05:36 PM ----------

This is not from personal experience, though I did do 5 years in the USMC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasperio View Post
    I can look some stuff up for you if you want? It all strongly depends what country you're from however.

If you want, you can PM me and I'll see if I can help you in any way ^^

Edit: I looked up 'Calamar' and all I found was Colombia. Is this correct?
    Sent you a pm^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Foreseen View Post
    He's from Zimbabwe
    Fak u Highvoltage :<

Deleted
    I think in the UK you can just apply to join with a role in combat and then select that you want to be sniper in preferences. However you still need to score well enough to continue or they just put you in infantry or another role they think is better suited to your skills.

Or if you apply to be say a light gunner and you score highly on marksman training then they may decide that you are better suited to be a sniper.

http://www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder/role/200/sniper/

Quote Originally Posted by Worer View Post
    >EU
    Does anyone have any idea on how to become a designated marksman in the marine corps? I kinda want to become one in the future, but I'm not really sure, and I don't have any idea where to start.
    A designated marksman is simply a regular infantryman who shoots better. So, join the marines in infantry, and shoot better than everyone else. Ta-da! You're squad DM. The catch is, you've gotta shoot better than everyone else in your squad, at longer range. It's not so much a choice to become one, as actually possessing the ability. You can increase your chances by doing lots of long-range target training.

If you want to move beyond DM (or squad sniper, or sharp-shooter - the term changes depending on which country you're in) to an actual sniper, then you've got to be ridiculously good, very smart (eg, able to use google to answer your own questions), and extremely fit. Approximately 1 in 10 DMs are skilled enough to qualify for sniper training. For example, hitting at least 3 targets with 5 shots at 800-1200m range.

To give you an idea how tough this is - in the entire US marine corps there are only 300 qualified snipers.
    Last edited by Janaa; 2012-07-12 at 09:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakazam View Post
    I think in the UK you can just apply to join with a role in combat and then select that you want to be sniper in preferences. However you still need to score well enough to continue or they just put you in infantry or another role they think is better suited to your skills.

Or if you apply to be say a light gunner and you score highly on marksman training then they may decide that you are better suited to be a sniper.

http://www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder/role/200/sniper/
    To qualify as a Sniper in the Royal Marines, first you have to complete basic training which is no mean feat in itself.. From there you must elect to undertake an RM Sniper "Aquaint" which will test you on all aspects of Sniper training - map reading, physical fitness, marksmanship and military knowledge. If, and it's an "if" you pass that you then qualify to start one of the hardest courses the Royal Marines has to offer.

There's a reason they send SF to attend our sniper course...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Janaa View Post
    A designated marksman is simply a regular infantryman who shoots better. So, join the marines in infantry, and shoot better than everyone else. Ta-da! You're squad DM. The catch is, you've gotta shoot better than everyone else in your squad, at longer range. It's not so much a choice to become one, as actually possessing the ability. You can increase your chances by doing lots of long-range target training.

If you want to move beyond DM (or squad sniper, or sharp-shooter - the term changes depending on which country you're in) to an actual sniper, then you've got to be ridiculously good, very smart (eg, able to use google to answer your own questions), and extremely fit. Approximately 1 in 10 DMs are skilled enough to qualify for sniper training. For example, hitting at least 3 targets with 5 shots at 800-1200m range.

To give you an idea how tough this is - in the entire US marine corps there are only 300 qualified snipers.
    Fit : checked
    Shooting skills: checked (actually, I liked shooting things since I was 5 , I liked playing with plastic guns, playing shooters , and using a Barnett Diablo slingshot --child play, I know, but I shoot really well from good distances^^)
    everything else:checked

I'm romanian by nationality.
    updated the first post

Fit : checked
    Shooting skills: checked (actually, I liked shooting things since I was 5 , I liked playing with plastic guns, playing shooters , and using a Barnett Diablo slingshot)
    everything else:checked

I'm romanian by nationality.
    updated the first post
    Then sign up and show 'em what you've got! The recruiter will tell you specifically what you need to do for any preferred career path.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Deleted
    >EU
    >living in Romania (romanian by nationality)
    I can tell you exactly how. First join the military, second be the best in your training platoon, third be better than everyone else at everything in your battalion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where in Romania, my ex-wife is from Iasi.

Shooting skills: checked (actually, I liked shooting things since I was 5 , I liked playing with plastic guns, playing shooters , and using a Barnett Diablo slingshot --child play, I know, but I shoot really well from good distances^^)
    You can't really compare plastic "guns" to real weapons. (Though I must say, the first time I shot a m16, it felt a bit like it did in video games.)
    And you should think thoroughly about the decision of joining the army, because playing a rambo super-soldier in call of duty is vastly different than joining the army, going through the hellhole called boot camp and actually getting used to the system, the shitty bureaucracy and the fact that being the army is not what you see in games/TV. Because if that's what makes you want to join the army, think twice. And think really really well if you can cope with not seeing your family/home for weeks, even months, because if it all seems like rainbows now, you might make the mistake of your life, and regret it later.
    -Currently serving.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by leetsushi View Post
    You can't really compare plastic "guns" to real weapons. (Though I must say, the first time I shot a m16, it felt a bit like it did in video games.)
    And you should think thoroughly about the decision of joining the army, because playing a rambo super-soldier in call of duty is vastly different than joining the army, going through the hellhole called boot camp and actually getting used to the system, the shitty bureaucracy and the fact that being the army is not what you see in games/TV. Because if that's what makes you want to join the army, think twice. And think really really well if you can cope with not seeing your family/home for weeks, even months, because if it all seems like rainbows now, you might make the mistake of your life, and regret it later.
    -Currently serving.
    I'm aware of all the duties and risks I'm assuming when joining the army, and I think I can get on with it.
    As I said, I'm not sure I will apply , and I still have more than one year to take the decission.
    Quote Originally Posted by mykro9 View Post
    Where in Romania, my ex-wife is from Iasi.
    Ugh , unloyal b*tches :\
    I'm living close to Urziceni City, Ialomita.
    Last edited by mmoce45982384d; 2012-07-12 at 10:29 PM. Reason: /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Romania has marines?

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Romania has marines?
    LOCAL POSTER RUINS EVERYTHING.

jk.

As for the marksman thing, usually they pick you if you're a good shot and they develop that skill. In my country it's extremely hard to become one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm aware of all the duties and risks I'm assuming when joining the army, and I think I can get on with it.
    As I said, I'm not sure I will apply , and I still have more than one year to take the decission.

Ugh , unloyal b*tches :\
    I'm living close to Urziceni City, Ialomita.
    Wait are you saying people from Iasi and Moldova(sp?) are bad people? Because if you are, you would not even be the fifth person from Romania saying that... If it is true, I guess I feel more and more lucky that we are divorced, and I have not heard from her in over 10 years.