Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashpotaters View Post
    It's jealousy. Some people can only afford 1 console, so they "hate" on the other ones to make themselves feel better about the console they chose. I don't quite know if it's a completely different story than that of people who only play shooters like CoD and Halo. To me it's very similar. It's all in the same mind set.
    Some of it's about purchase validation, but some of it is tribalism.

I view it more as politics for children. Identifying with 'x' group makes you feel smug about those who aren't part of 'x', and makes you more right than followers of 'y'.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

Quote Originally Posted by herpecin View Post
    thats because graphics are like movies, if you're going to make a crappy movie at least know it's crappy and just run with it.
    Bad example. Movies run off visuals to immerse the person, while games have the interactive portion to draw them in. If you see a movie without production values it's a B movie and isn't even put into theaters. Great games can be formed through only text and story. Talk to a person that played dungeons and dragons and you'll understand better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Again, using WoW as an example, WoW's style is great for the game. It fits in the Warcraft theme. World of Warcraft actually feels like an extention of Warcraft III with the stylization Blizzard uses. So those models are low-poly, who cares? It *works* for WoW.

I like beautiful visuals as much as the next guy, but games are like girls (let me run with this!); they are more than eye candy. They have to have depth and personality.

---------- Post added 2012-07-12 at 05:58 PM ----------

They did make some upgrades yes, but WoW is still behind the curve in the graphics department . . . which as I already said, works for them.
    I like your comparison, it was perfect. Games are like women and men, you don't want to have someone just with a good look to them you want them to have a good personality which strengthens the relation between the two.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like a good art style over good graphics. For example, Battlefield 3 looks great from a technological standpoint (DX11, animations, sound effects, and particle effects etc) but it's art style is awful. The game only has two colors which is brown and grey. Also can't forget that the amount of bloom used in Battlefield 3.
    Last edited by Lancer; 2012-07-12 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    I like a good art style over good graphics. For example, Battlefield 3 looks great from a technological standpoint (DX11, animations, sound effects, and particle effects etc) but it's art style is awful. The game only has two colors which is brown and grey. Also can't forget that the amount of bloom used in Battlefield 3.
    I have a story for you.
    Running through the tunnels in metro
    Fighting for a good 45 minutes (high ticket server, shit lasts for ages)
    Finally push out of the tunnel
    Look up at buildi...
    OH GOD SUN FLARE IT BURNS MY EYES
    And that's the story of how EA gave me free Lasik.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashpotaters View Post
    It's jealousy. Some people can only afford 1 console, so they "hate" on the other ones to make themselves feel better about the console they chose. I don't quite know if it's a completely different story than that of people who only play shooters like CoD and Halo. To me it's very similar. It's all in the same mind set.
    Ehhh..... I don't know about that. That could be an explanation for some people, but for people like me who have all the consoles I would defiantly rank some consoles higher then others, eg. my preference this generation is PC>PS3>Wii>Xbox 360.

Shooters on the other hand is just people being ridiculous (just gonna say now I have not been a fan of the genre for a long time because I find them repetitive and they have saturated the market to the point that they all feel the same IMO), people will always have a favorite franchise and they will activate fan boy mode the moment someone says X game is better then Y game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    Seriously? What the hell is wrong with people?
    He's pretty much right though. Development is split into different sections, the graphics is only really limited by the engine and the art team. There are so many great engines out there that graphical limitations are none existent right now.
    Normally if they don't put a lot into their art team the rest is probably neglected as well.

First Person Shooters have always been used as 3D benchmarks, from the moment Quake 1 hit pentiums in the nuts with its blurry 320x240 goodness, people were always looking to make it look better and run faster. Then 3D accelerator cards started to pop up. Making Quake 1 look better and move faster pretty much jet propelled the likes of 3DFX, PowerVR (S3 Virge for unlucky poor sods at the time like me) into the gaming general public. When Unreal 1 dropped, people went ape-shit about the graphics alone and the 3D card business became serious business.

FPS games almost by default are expected to continue that lineage. Any time an FPS was released after Quake dropped and it wasn't using polygons, it tended to get trashed in reviews. For example, Shadow Warrior, which was basically a spiritual successor to Duke Nukem 3D, it pretty much got canned off the bat, due to being 'retro' visually. 2D FPS games got shutdown in the space of about 1.5 years.

However, I wouldn't say that everyone's obsessed with graphics these days. Consoles are holding genuine progression ransom with their specs and limitations and the indie boom has seen people playing the living shit out of 8 and 16-bit looking retro games more than ever. When Terraria and Minecraft have some of the largest player bases going, you know that graphics aren't that important to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaosbringer View Post
    Ehhh..... I don't know about that. That could be an explanation for some people, but for people like me who have all the consoles I would defiantly rank some consoles higher then others, eg. my preference this generation is PC>PS3>Wii>Xbox 360.
    I was referring more to the people who are flat out fanboys for 1 console that fuel console wars. I own all of them too, and have my preference, but the whole console wars thing isn't started by people who can just have a preference. It's started by people who blindly follow sides.

Well I'm not obsessed with shooters but I do enjoy them just for the extremely fast paced, competitive multiplayer they offer.
    And graphics matter a lot to me because they make the game feel more real... it's harder for me to immerse myself when the game looks really fake, and I mostly play rpgs so immersion is a huge deal.

Because to many, graphics are what sell a game and grab peoples attention. Would you rather play a game with shitty dated graphics and a crappy HUD or a realistic looking game with technology backing it up and modern HUD. Graphics are pretty much what says "this game is new" and people like the new and shiny thing the most. If CoD didn't have the graphics it does, it wouldn't even be half as popular.

No matter how much people say they would rather a game with balanced weapons and shit over a game with good graphics. I usually just disregard that statement as a whole, graphics mean everything. Who wants to play a game with shitty graphics in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by helmaroc View Post
    I have a question for the community. Why do some people just have a strong obsession for graphics and only play first person shooters? Now don't get me wrong I think games like CoD, Halo and others are pretty fun, but that is all some people will play and when you suggest other games for them when they get tired of those games they just shut you down and say they suck. A person will say graphics over everything when they forgot how games even started. If they were true gamers they would try and lighten up and have some fun and focus only on the fun they have playing the game. Another thing that irks me are console wars but that's a whole different story.
    everyone is different and perhaps you may not agree with me, but i think the answer to that is obvious.. end game content..

lets compare CoD to WoW..

in wow you have X amount of content to do.. and dont get me wrong it was a lot.. no one, and i mean NO ONE went from level 1-70 while doing every single quest in every single zone reading every single dialogue while exploring every single dugeon and so on and so forth.. it was just a lot of content.. but once you reach max level, there is only so much to do.. going back for the content you missed, raiding pvp and such.. but at one point things get real repetative.. and with the latests nerfs, its gets repetativly boring.. and the lack of challege is just.. well boring.

so id say games like wow have a X amount of time before they simply dont provide the same fun they did when you started playing them.

now lets take CoD... every single match is different.. even if the 5 guys on your team is always the same.. the dialogue between you and your friends is different, the situations that come up in the game are different, and the challenge provided by those situations always keeps you guessing... its the equivalant to walking into DS and not knowing if its the -30% nerfed version or the +30 version.. its always new, its always challenging, even when you have the enemy team dominated.. ive seen nasty comebacks, specially in clan battles matches and that kind of gameplay cultivates players.. now if they changed the game play so the dummies could also dominate the content... not so cultivating to player.. see what i did there blizzard?

---------- Post added 2012-07-12 at 09:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    Because to many, graphics are what sell a game and grab peoples attention. Would you rather play a game with shitty dated graphics and a crappy HUD or a realistic looking game with technology backing it up and modern HUD. Graphics are pretty much what says "this game is new" and people like the new and shiny thing the most. If CoD didn't have the graphics it does, it wouldn't even be half as popular.

No matter how much people say they would rather a game with balanced weapons and shit over a game with good graphics. I usually just disregard that statement as a whole, graphics mean everything. Who wants to play a game with shitty graphics in 2012.
    to me graphics are a bonus.. the gameplay and the challenge of the game is the important things to look for.. no game released nowdays will have shitty graphics.. might not be top graphics.. but it will be decent.. and to me a decent graphic good game is still better then a awesome graphic shitty game.

simple example.. i admire BF3, but i played and enjoy BF1 just as much. but perhaps that just me