Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

EA CEO John Riccitiello to be FIRED (Rumor)

Are you in the mood for a whopper of a rumor? Let’s hope, because we’ve got one here for you: anonymous sources tell Game Front that Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello is about to be let go, and that current EA Sports boss Peter Moore will step in to take his place. It goes without saying that you should probably take this with a grain of salt (or five), but if this is true, it could mean huge things for Electronic Arts, which has been experiencing some stock price woes recently.

According to Game Front’s sources, Riccitiello was asked to step down from his position at Electronic Arts after the earnings call that took place on June 30. Apparently, the departure of Riccitiello and subsequent promotion of Moore is “not set in stone” yet, as EA’s board of directors still needs to vote on the change. However, tensions are rising at the Electronic Arts offices as the company’s stock price continues to fall.

John Riccitiello has overseen EA since his return to the company in 2007. It was under him that EA-published games began requiring online passes, and he was in charge when the EA Store was relaunched as Origin last year. Riccitiello is no stranger to controversy, as Electronic Arts was named The Consumerist’s Worst Company in America earlier this year.

The rumor comes just a day after Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter stated that Riccitiello had expressed concerns over being fired from the company. Pachter later followed-up by saying that though he was quoted accurately, he was merely kidding around. Perhaps he wasn’t so far off the mark after all?

http://www.slashgear.com/peter-moore...-ceo-11238212/
    Last edited by FusedMass; 2012-07-13 at 12:46 PM.

Deleted
    Source? ...

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/pac...ure-44468.html

This is the article that probably started the rumours.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    as Electronic Arts was named The Consumerist’s Worst Company in America earlier this year.

I cannot possibly fathom this, I really can't. Was Activision not even on that list, or have people begun to pardon Activision's heinous list of controversy and money grubbing due to their business partnership with Blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by A Challenger! View Post
    I cannot possibly fathom this, I really can't. Was Activision not even on that list, or have people begun to pardon Activision's heinous list of controversy and money grubbing due to their business partnership with Blizzard.
    Because EA was actually, indeed, even worse than Activision.

Quote Originally Posted by Valleera View Post
    Because EA was actually, indeed, even worse than Activision.
    No. No EA is not. A lot of the things EA does to scratch some more cash, Activision started first. Examples are Call of Duty Elite, or a new Call of Duty every year, that is little different, or not at all, than the previous version.

Not to mention Activision's newest business venture, Skylanders. They seriously targeted children knowing full well how much of an untapped market they are, and it worked just as well as they hoped it would.

People say EA is worse due to hype, and a follow-the-leader type mentality, but EA is nothing close to how insane Activision is. Case and point, Activision's CEO hates you and video games.

Do not get me wrong. EA is an absolute shit company as well, with nothing close to the impressive business sense that Activision holds, but if your definition of worse is that they are bad at making money, then yes, you'd be right. EA has nothing on Activision.

However, if your definition is a company that will do anything and everything to make more money, no matter how much it spits in the eyes of those who play their games? Look no further than Activision.
    Last edited by A Challenger!; 2012-07-13 at 01:02 PM.

Its a rumour? Well, that says it all.

No. No EA is not. A lot of the things EA does to scratch some more cash, Activision started first. Examples ares online passes and Call of Duty Elite, or a new Call of Duty every year, that is little different, or not at all, than the previous version.

Not to mention Activision's newest business venture, Skylanders. They seriously targeted children knowing full well how much of an untapped market they are, and it worked just as well as they hoped it would.

People say EA is worse due to hype, and a follow-the-leader type mentality, but EA is nothing close to how insane Activision is. Case and point, Activision's CEO hates you and video games.

Do not get me wrong. EA is an absolute shit company as well, with nothing close to the impressive business sense that Activision holds, but if your definition of worse is that they are bad at making money, then yes, you'd be right. EA has nothing on Activision.

However, if your definition is a company that will do anything and everything to make more money, no matter how much it spits in the eyes of those who play their games? Look no further than Activision.
    It's printed now boys, history of gaming officially started at 2008 at the height of this generation of consoles.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    It's printed now boys, history of gaming officially started at 2008 at the height of this generation of consoles.
    Was... Was that supposed to be a misguided and poor attempt at a jab at me? Or did I completely misinterpret that.

If it is the former, I have nothing more to say to you, as you only prove my point. EA has only started recently becoming a festering boil of a company, whereas Activision was always out for money, long before EA became what it is today. If it was the latter... Well, whatever.

You just cannot vote a company "worst company" when you have Activision around. They are both terrible, terrible companies. You cannot simply shift the blame to the lesser of the two evils and call it a day.

No. No EA is not. A lot of the things EA does to scratch some more cash, Activision started first. Examples ares online passes and Call of Duty Elite, or a new Call of Duty every year, that is little different, or not at all, than the previous version.

Wrong Activision did not start online pass's first the first 2 company's who did online pass's first was EA and THQ. THQ did it will all the WWE games from 2010 to the new WWE12. EA has done it with games after the bad company 2 game with nearly every game they released after 2 off the top of my head is KOA/Mass Effect 3. EA has even shutdown server's to games that required Online pass's. Activision has yet to do online pass's to a game *Call of Duty Elite is not a online pass it is more of a DLC Season Pass Spend 50$ get all the dlc for that game over the next year.* these are facts feel free to look them up if u wish but EA/THQ did online pass's first. also to add you need a Online pass to play most of EA's games online or to get extra goodies with Activision u can still play CODMW3 Online without the Elite so that is not a online pass.

Edit: To add to the list u got Battlefield 3/Dead Space 2/Need for Speed Hot Pursuit/Metal Of Honor*but u can still play online just no extra goodies* and i think even a godfather game.

Edit2:http://games.ign.com/articles/122/1221117p1.html shows server shutdowns just a few months back even to games that required a online pass like. Burnout Revenge, The Godfather II, and EA Sports MMA
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2012-07-13 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Wrong Activision did not start online pass's first the first 2 company's who did online pass's first was EA and THQ. THQ did it will all the WWE games from 2010 to the new WWE12. EA has done it with games after the bad company 2 game with nearly every game they released after 2 off the top of my head is KOA/Mass Effect 3. EA has even shutdown server's to games that required Online pass's. Activision has yet to do online pass's to a game *Call of Duty Elite is not a online pass it is more of a DLC Season Pass Spend 50$ get all the dlc for that game over the next year.* these are facts feel free to look them up if u wish but EA/THQ did online pass's first. also to add you need a Online pass to play most of EA's games online or to get extra goodies with Activision u can still play CODMW3 Online without the Elite so that is not a online pass.
    Snipped that out of my post, less I look like a greater idiot for writing it. Elite still gives you extra goodies, but I think Elite and Online passes are a moot point.

Point I'm getting at is, I don't understand how EA solely can take the blame; the company was destroying itself long before it started butchering our favorite developers. Activision isn't in dire straits, because unlike EA, they are dangerously business savvy.

Shifting the blame of being terrible companies from both Activision and EA, to simply EA, only compounds the issue of how the video game genre is becoming stagnated for the sake of greater profit, and that is not EA's fault alone.
    Last edited by A Challenger!; 2012-07-13 at 01:09 PM.

EA CEO John Riccitiello rumored to be FIRED

Might want to add that to your title.

Was... Was that supposed to be a misguided and poor attempt at a jab at me? Or did I completely misinterpret that.

If it is the former, I have nothing more to say to you, as you only prove my point. EA has only started recently becoming a festering boil of a company, whereas Activision was always out for money, long before EA became what it is today. If it was the latter... Well, whatever.

You just cannot vote a company "worst company" when you have Activision around. They are both terrible, terrible companies. You cannot simply shift the blame to the lesser of the two evils and call it a day.
    It was a jab at you because apparently you have no knowledge of the gaming history, hell recent history from late 90's to 2008 or so. There's a reason I picked up that year because that's when EA tidied it's act a lot, apparently to impress the new generation of gamers in which it succeeded if you are to be held as a line of example, only to back down safely to their bullshit knowing that now they have this buffer protecting them from most of the heat called Activision.

There is a reason why for example company like ID Software stated back in early '00's that EA is the most evil gaming publisher out in the market and that they will never work with them. (A statement they reverted in 2009 or so because EA apparently tried a new, better approach to the developement and innovation in gaming)

Snipped that out of my post, less I look like a greater idiot for writing it. Elite still gives you extra goodies, but I think Elite and Online passes are a moot point.
    no u tryed to call elite a Online pass when in fact it is not feel free to look at the edits in my post and not look at the whole thing.
    you said *A lot of the things EA does to scratch some more cash, Activision started first. Examples ares online passes and Call of Duty Elite* and i said no your are wrong and

if you look at all my post and even the 2 edits you will see i showed you how wrong you are

It was a jab at you because apparently you have no knowledge of the gaming history, hell recent history from late 90's to 2008 or so. There's a reason I picked up that year because that's when EA tidied it's act a lot, apparently to impress the new generation of gamers in which it succeeded if you are to be held as a line of example, only to back down safely to their bullshit knowing that now they have this buffer protecting them from most of the heat called Activision.

There is a reason why for example company like ID Software stated back in early '00's that EA is the most evil gaming publisher out in the market and that they will never work with them. (A statement they reverted in 2009 or so because EA apparently tried a new, better approach to the developement and innovation in gaming)
    So because I think both Activision and EA deserve the blame of being terrible companies, which is very much true, you think you have the right to take jabs at me, and act as if I am not aware of the current state of affairs within this lovely "hobby" we call gaming?

Yeah... Okay. Whatever floats your goat, pal.

http://hothardware.com/News/Activisi...-Happy-People/

no u tryed to call elite a Online pass when in fact it is not feel free to look at the edits in my post and not look at the whole thing.
    you said *A lot of the things EA does to scratch some more cash, Activision started first. Examples ares online passes and Call of Duty Elite* and i said no your are wrong and

if you look at all my post and even the 2 edits you will see i showed you how wrong you are
    Slow your roll pal, I admitted I was wrong. When I called an online pass and Elite a moot point, I was saying they both offering similar things. That said however, I didn't mean online pass despite typing it like a moron. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of it right now, but Battlefield has essentially a very similar program to Elite right now.

That is what I was referring to, just for whatever reason, I thought it to be a form of the online pass system, which it is not.
    Last edited by A Challenger!; 2012-07-13 at 01:15 PM.

Deleted
    No. No EA is not. A lot of the things EA does to scratch some more cash, Activision started first. Examples are Call of Duty Elite, or a new Call of Duty every year, that is little different, or not at all, than the previous version.

Get a load of this guy's jealousy. He's so jealous at their successful methods of earning money that he's spewing random crap. Business 101, that's what companies do, they earn money.

So because I think both Activision and EA deserve the blame of being terrible companies, which is very much true, you think you have the right to take jabs at me, and act as if I am not aware of the current state of affairs within this lovely "hobby" we call gaming?

No, that's not it. You were plain out wrong in your statement and history of EA/Acti and that's why I jabbed at you.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2012-07-13 at 01:18 PM.

The Original point in all of this is that it is a rumor someone from EA is getting fired and it is fact EA won wost company. then you decided to say Activi did things before EA *and in my original post i showed they didn't do it first* you turned this Topic into a EA Vs Activi and it is not so try to try on topic next time.

No, that's not it. You were plain out wrong in your statement and history of EA/Acti and that's why I jabbed at you
    Uh... I don't know how to tell you this, but my history was simply me saying that EA likes to eye Activision and their business practices, and they are both terrible companies. That was all.

The Original point in all of this is that it is a rumor someone from EA is getting fired and it is fact EA won wost company. then you decided to say Activi did things before EA *and in my original post i showed they didn't do it first* you turned this Topic into a EA Vs Activi and it is not so try to try on topic next time.
    Actually, I wasn't initially off topic at all. The thread derail came from people who decided to argue with me on why EA is apparently worse than Activision.

That said, if you really desire to hyper focus that badly, here is my two cents: If they were going to fire EA's CEO, they would have done it by now. EA has long since gutted companies like Maxim and Bioware.
    Last edited by A Challenger!; 2012-07-13 at 01:22 PM.

Uh... I don't know how to tell you this, but my history was simply me saying that EA likes to eye Activision and their business practices, and they are both terrible companies. That was all.
    And i showd you how wrong you are about that. u even stated that Activision did Online pass's first when in fact they never did them i pointed that out in my original post. Call of duty elite is not a online pass. if u want to add something like it to compare to EA then u have the VIP crap in bad company 2 to sell more of the game. once again it is showed to you that EA has done many things first only thing i can say Activi did first was charger a stupid price for bad DLC....

In most of the Online pass's EA did it is a must to have them to play the game online even tho u bought the game or even have XBL Activi has yet to do that.