View Poll Results: Should businesses be prohibited from considering applicants criminal history?

Voters
27. This poll is closed
  • Yes

3 11.11%
  • No

19 70.37%
  • Undecided

5 18.52%

NFIB Poll - Criminal question

So as a member of NFIB, i periodically get emails with questions on them about different topics. They do this in an effort to better represent small businesses.
    On my most recent one, it had a very startling question. i'll pose it to this wonder shmorgishborg of thoughts mmo has.

I know what my (obvious) answer was. i'd love to hear what others think, and what people think is the reason this is even a question.

It's an odd question. Considering there are different degrees of criminality, I believe that criminal history should only be considered if it falls into a higher categorization of crime.

Ie, I would hire someone who got jail time for recreational drug use, but not someone convicted of murder.

The question really isn't this black and white.

Interestingly though, in Canada, most businesses require potential employees to disclose whether or not they are bondable.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

Quote Originally Posted by Grraarrgghh View Post
    It's an odd question. Considering there are different degrees of criminality, I believe that criminal history should only be considered if it falls into a higher categorization of crime.

Ie, I would hire someone who got jail time for recreational drug use, but not someone convicted of murder.

The question really isn't this black and white.
    You just answered the question then. Obviously you would want to consider someone's criminal history when you hire them then, and reserve the right to decide that you would hire someone who had spent time in jail for recreational drug use. I'm not knocking that choice of yours, just pointing out that you want the ability to make that decision. This is the entire question as it was given to me.

You could possibly say that certain types of criminal convictions cant be considered when someone is looking to employ you but you cant say that businesses cant look at any of your criminal records. What if something you were convicted for was related to the job like you embezzled from a previous company or were convicted of some sort of fraud? Also sex crimes and jobs with children. Unpaid parking tickets or a bar fight really dont matter but some things really do.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealed Shut View Post
    So as a member of NFIB, i periodically get emails with questions on them about different topics. They do this in an effort to better represent small businesses.
    On my most recent one, it had a very startling question. i'll pose it to this wonder shmorgishborg of thoughts mmo has.

I know what my (obvious) answer was. i'd love to hear what others think, and what people think is the reason this is even a question.
    Why would you use an obscure acronym in your original post and not define it? [NFIB is National Federation of Independent Businesses; so others don't have to go Google it to understand your post.]

Answer is no, businesses should not be prohibited from considering an applicant's criminal history.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on the position as well as the type of crime. If its someone working as a cashier or waitress, than there should be less scrutiny. But for medical positions, teaching, manage, public sector, and other things that are professional degrees, have a high amount of bureaucracy, or are leadership positions, such scrutiny is acceptable.

I answered wrong, I meant to say No...anyway, just makes sense if someone does bad things it could be bad for the business. My uncle has many speeding tickets, a relatively pity crime, but delivery jobs (usps,fedex) won't hire him because obviously as drivers they can't have a reckless person that not only could make the business look bad, but could cost them big. I don't find it discrimination or anything, because it was your choice...and you chose wrong.

I think there should be a time limitation on what appears on your record. The way it commonly works in the US is, if you've ever had a criminal past, you're basically barred from working anything above minimum wage. Obviously, you shouldn't get that security guard job if you shoplifted a couple of years ago, but you shouldn't be banned from a good post because you experimented a little in college 25 years ago. Unfortunately, in this era and with the nature of public records, anything you've ever done will stick around your entire life.

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    Why would you use an obscure acronym in your original post and not define it? [NFIB is National Federation of Independent Businesses; so others don't have to go Google it to understand your post.]

Answer is no, businesses should not be prohibited from considering an applicant's criminal history.
    My apologies, there was no intent to hide or confuse anyone. NFIB is a voice for small business on mainly political issues.

The reason they've asked the question is there is apparently some push consider it unfair to do so.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think they should look at anyone and everyone's criminal history. If you have nothing to hide? Well shit. If it has been X amount of years since your last bit of trouble, maybe the business should be required to care less about it, per se.

I think you get my feeling on it.

---------- Post added 2012-07-13 at 09:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sealed Shut View Post
    My apologies, there was no intent to hide or confuse anyone. NFIB is a voice for small business on mainly political issues.

The reason they've asked the question is there is apparently some push consider it unfair to do so.
    Unfair to do so?

If someone has something bad in their criminal history, I'd like an employer to know, because perhaps that workplace might be a sort of stimulus for them to act up again.

Plus, they did it. If they did it as an adult, it is public information and people/business have the right to know who exactly they are around/hiring.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2012-07-13 at 09:29 PM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

This is a question I have difficulty answer. Obviously someone who has committed a crime, like theft, couldn't be considered trustworthy. Problem is if they can never get a job they fall straight back into crime.

As someone who has been hiring/firing people for quite a few years now, I want to know everything about your criminal past. Thankfully I live in a state that requires you to disclose ALL of it.

Not so I can discriminate against you, but in my lengthy experience there ARE certain types of criminals that will be going back to jail in the near future.

Most of the applicants I get are DUI, MIP (Minor in posession), minor alcohol/marijuana related convictions. Usually no further problems with them, no more chance they'll go to jail than any previously unconvicted person.

The only convicted people I currently will not even consider hiring are the ones that have domestic violence convictions. Because IN MY EXPERIENCE, they are at least 50x more likely to return to jail in short order, costing the company the money and the time it took to train them.

Up until about a year ago I always gave everyone a chance, depending on how the interview went, but with this class of convictions, 90% or higher repeated the offense within 3 months and were back in jail. Don't have the exact number of employees it was over the last 10 years but there is only 1, ONE that hasn't repeated yet.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?