Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    for goblins: light is money! they'll pray to whatever deity they can for a good donation. that includes the light, elune, the old gods or whatever.

for other races: no idea. maybe a very strong will or multiple personalities lol
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    dark is not evil
    light is not good

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    dark is not evil
    light is not good
    the concept of shadow is not the same concept as dark.

the concept of holy is not the same concept as light.

i.e. nice straw man, trying to make it political/racial

check out Hannah Arendt. the banality of evil.

Quote Originally Posted by fateswarm View Post
    the concept of shadow is not the same concept as dark.

the concept of holy is not the same concept as light.

i.e. nice straw man, trying to make it political/racial
    Who said anything about political/racial?

Learn your tropes?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Who said anything about political/racial?

Learn your tropes?
    I didn't know I had to be an expert on Batman to follow.

Still off topic to the thread and forum.

Quote Originally Posted by fateswarm View Post
    I didn't know I had to be an expert on Batman to follow.

Still off topic to the thread and forum.
    "expert on batman"... since when are tropes actually complicated?

Anyways, hardly off-topic. The Light isn't necessarily good (The Scarlet Crusade/Onslaught say hi), and there've been a few dabblers into the Shadow that aren't quite evil at all. The point is, once you understand the workings of the Light and the Forgotten Shadow more than "i'm a good guy ur bad kk" (reading those tropes may help some understand), it's not actually far out for a character who is neutral (As both the Light and Shadow truly are) or even tilted in either direction to be able to draw on both/either depending on the circumstance.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    More than likely it's non canonical and is only there for gameplay convenience. I guess there was abbot landgren and the archbishop fellow.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2012-07-22 at 03:04 AM.

A being in Warcraft can be whatever he/she so desire.

If you're a priest that have abandoned the light and chosen the dark path and are a shadow priest you can still redeem yourself and go back.

If you've got dual-spec look at it like you're experiencing a change of mind every hour. lol

Almost nobody of my friends or other people I've encountered in the game is treating wow like a mmo... RPG in terms of playing a role and making up a character. They just put a "Roflstomperthesecond" name on their character and grind/farm through it to compete on endgame. But I haven't played on a RP server so I cannot say how my exsperience have been on realm of every type, but on PvP PvE realms nobody gives a shit in my opinion.

WoW is an MMOE-Sport r.i.p RPG

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    "expert on batman"... since when are tropes actually complicated?

Anyways, hardly off-topic. The Light isn't necessarily good (The Scarlet Crusade/Onslaught say hi), and there've been a few dabblers into the Shadow that aren't quite evil at all. The point is, once you understand the workings of the Light and the Forgotten Shadow more than "i'm a good guy ur bad kk" (reading those tropes may help some understand), it's not actually far out for a character who is neutral (As both the Light and Shadow truly are) or even tilted in either direction to be able to draw on both/either depending on the circumstance.
    Thank you : D

Why are you bringing logic into a game where you can have 20 giant axes in your backpack and not be slowed at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Why are you bringing logic into a game where you can have 20 giant axes in your backpack and not be slowed at all?
    In game mechanics are not the same as lore.

Light cannot exist without darkness, and it was darkness that first inspired mortal races to seek out the light in the first place. There are some jobs in the church that none of the cloth are willing to do...

Tending to the grave sites, guarding the dank and dark tombs, etc. These jobs are reserved for Shadow Priests who are, as much as some other members hate to admit it, members of the church.

Shadow Priests are keepers of the dead and they have learned much from their time amongst them. If anything, Shadow Priests respect the dead more the most members of the church, which only teaches them to value life that much more.

Shadow Priests never forget the light, and still look to it for a source of inspiration and guidance, but at the same time, the darkness has just as much to offer.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow View Post
    Light cannot exist without darkness, and it was darkness that first inspired mortal races to seek out the light in the first place. There are some jobs in the church that none of the cloth are willing to do...

Tending to the grave sites, guarding the dank and dark tombs, etc. These jobs are reserved for Shadow Priests who are, as much as some other members hate to admit it, members of the church.

Shadow Priests are keepers of the dead and they have learned much from their time amongst them. If anything, Shadow Priests respect the dead more the most members of the church, which only teaches them to value life that much more.

Shadow Priests never forget the light, and still look to it for a source of inspiration and guidance, but at the same time, the darkness has just as much to offer.
    I think you're mixing up lore with a different setting. Light in warcraft can most definitely exist without shadow, and has done so for a couple of thousand years. The cult of the forgotten shadow is only a recent development, and it doesn't get along without the holy light at all. There are some other shadow priests, but those tend not to be connected to the holy light in any way (not even as an antipode) or oppose it (those dark naaru thingies)

The priest class in world of warcraft is just about the least canon class in the entire game and that's saying something. It's a hodgepodge of powers from at least five different religious groups, which you probably can't combine in-setting, due to the fact that their philosophies are often incompatible. My basic advice: don't look too deeply into it.
    A look at the warcraft novels, RPG books, games and magical french space soccer.

Glory to person-whose-name-I-dont-know-but-rules-Kul-Tiras!

Players who have played D&D for long enough would start making some good excuses.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post

The priest class in world of warcraft is just about the least canon class in the entire game and that's saying something. It's a hodgepodge of powers from at least five different religious groups, which you probably can't combine in-setting, due to the fact that their philosophies are often incompatible. My basic advice: don't look too deeply into it.
    You're right. It's funny, the whole reason paladins even exist was because priests sucked hardcore ass on the battlefield, so they trained priests to wield weapons and wear plate armor and boom, paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
    I think you're mixing up lore with a different setting. Light in warcraft can most definitely exist without shadow, and has done so for a couple of thousand years. The cult of the forgotten shadow is only a recent development, and it doesn't get along without the holy light at all.
    The Shadow and/or Darkness and the religion called "The Forgotten Shadow" are not the same thing. Just as the light and the religion called "The Holy Light" are obviously not the same. As there are in game quotes about no light existing without darkness as well as quotes about no shadows without light (by those Naaru thingies) it is a good in-character explanation to give.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    The Shadow and/or Darkness and the religion called "The Forgotten Shadow" are not the same thing. Just as the light and the religion called "The Holy Light" are obviously not the same. As there are in game quotes about no light existing without darkness as well as quotes about no shadows without light (by those Naaru thingies) it is a good in-character explanation to give.
    While you are right on the light and the holy light not being the same, the naaru are actually referring to their cycle of rebirth, not to the light actually working with a shadow aspect. The dark naaru part of the cycle are most definitely not working with the light.

Q: What is the nature of the Void state of the Na'aru? For a being of the Light, turning into such a dark being seems like a heavy weakness. Sucking in souls and causing destruction simply because of a loss in strength greatly diminishes their saintly image. Though, this might be a reason they don't act in combat very much, as turning on your army due to fatigue wouldn't be good for morale.

A:Because three cases of this "cycle" have been demonstrated in Nagrand, Auchindoun, and Sunwell Plateau (K'ure, D'ore, and M'uru, respectively), players may have received the wrong impression with regard to the magnitude and rarity of these events: it is EXCEEDINGLY rare for a naaru to fall into a void state, and even rarer for a fallen naaru to be brought back into the Light. A naaru's fall into the void represents a catastrophic loss for the naaru and for the forces of the Light, and it is the saddest, most heart-wrenching event for the naaru to witness. Conversely, a naaru being reborn into the Light brings renewed hope and sense of purpose to every naaru; if energy beings could weep tears of joy, this would do it.
    underlined important part.
    A look at the warcraft novels, RPG books, games and magical french space soccer.

Glory to person-whose-name-I-dont-know-but-rules-Kul-Tiras!

Those statements I'm thinking about, didn't actually refer to the circle of rebirth of the naaru but to the nature of the light itself if remember correctly. Just because there is a 'circle of rebirth' which has parts of darkness and parts of light doesn't mean anything the naaru ever say about darkness and light must refert to that. Thus I don't think your quote applies to the matter at hand. It is an example of something that does not support a duality of light and darkness, but it does not disprove it either.