Question about DHs and play styles

OK only class I havent gotten to 60 and since I had to get a new account figured they would be a nice choice for a restart since it will be new to me. Are they still the same old OP walking instruments of death that drop everything just by sneezing on them? Also when do I actually have to start kiting? The reason I made my wizard into that melee build is because I fail horribly at kiting, I just couldnt do it. Are Acts 1-2 so easy now that you dont even have to kite anymore?

My wizard could pretty much facetank every single elite she came across in both Act 1 and 2 and only had to move if it had arcane minions. I just stood in desecrate, plague, and molten and stayed at full health because of critical mass, high LoH, and lots of critting tornadoes letting me keep my absorb up permanently. Only mobs that gave me trouble were shielding and invuln minions. My monk actually kited more than my wizard and couldnt even stand in bad stuff and had far better gear

Can I play a DH like my wizard or will I be forever kiting? Class looks fun just I fail at kiting. Im talking more fail than a vanilla ret pally trying to do top raid DPS. Dont wanna waste my time getting to 60 and inferno just to find out I suck.
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-07-13 at 10:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    DH was my first and only lvl 60. I found clearing Normal, Nightmare, and Hell to be amazingly easy and this was basically with only found gear (I didn't hit up the AH until Hell Act 2 I think for a new bow). Once you hit Inferno your going to have to kite (especially Shielding/Extra Health packs) so I think to answer your question it depends on what your long term goals are.

On the plus side once you get a reasonable amount of Dex + Armor/AR/Vit gear you can muscle your way through incoming damage with Shadow Power+Gloom. I only run with that + Preparation & Caltrops+Torturous Ground and basically never die. Also if you got crazy cash you can get the 4 piece Nata set and basically become immortal (until Blizz nerfs it for being to fun).

Pushing past Act 1 takes a lot of cash if you don't want to kite as the amount of survival gear (or good nata set) are very expensive right now. I mostly just farm A1 right now hoping for upgrades or something I can make a quick $ on the RMAH for. At 55k before Sharpshooter they go quick (still boring) at least.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Bummer was hoping I could play it like my melee wizard. Guess I will just roll another wizard where I never had to kite unless it was shielding or arcane mobs and I just laughed at fire chain, molten, desecrate, plague type mobs as I stayed full health the entire time while standing in everything. Although I have watched some DH videos where they play the same way and also stay at full health. So maybe it can be done with enough LoH. I noticed they get some sick passives that they can stack for some insane damage reduction, a lot more than my wizard.

Sometimes you can stand and burn an Elite down but thats if you have the gear, other times you are constantly kiting and constantly turning and burning.

You can do a tank demon hunter using a 1h crossbow and a shield, with high LoH and grenade spamming. It will probably be incredibly slow at actually killing anything though. I'm sure you can find some vids on youtube and I think there's a guide over on diablofans DH forum.

Honestly though, if you really can't kite properly (or don't want to learn, since anyone can do it with enough practice) I'd recommend sticking with another class.

Edit: Found the link to the tank guide http://www.diablofans.com/topic/6030...r-build-guide/

Edit 2: Keep in mind, I haven't tried the tanking DH myself so I don't actually know how effective it is. :P
    Last edited by Perath; 2012-07-14 at 03:49 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Perath View Post
    Edit 2: Keep in mind, I haven't tried the tanking DH myself so I don't actually know how effective it is. :P
    It is very effective but like said, it is very gear dependent and unlike monks for example, you can't really forgo damage stats as much because your life regen scales with your damage. At least personally I found it much harder to balance than my monk.

Im starting to think if I want to play tank spec I should roll another wizard.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Perath View Post
    You can do a tank demon hunter using a 1h crossbow and a shield, with high LoH and grenade spamming. It will probably be incredibly slow at actually killing anything though. I'm sure you can find some vids on youtube and I think there's a guide over on diablofans DH forum.

Honestly though, if you really can't kite properly (or don't want to learn, since anyone can do it with enough practice) I'd recommend sticking with another class.

Edit: Found the link to the tank guide http://www.diablofans.com/topic/6030...r-build-guide/

http://imgur.com/eYGb2,vGBIQ,6ln5i,j...,V64B7,2G9NS#5

http://i.imgur.com/sXdlg.jpg - Tanking Ghom while sleeping

I have a DH tank myself even though I have nats set too :P - Keep in mind my set is worth about 150m+ So yeah

And yes I've destroyed the entire game as a DH tank despite it took 20 years to kill, but if I do wanted to kill fast. I can just go to my Nats set + DPS set and trololo 1 hit dead things this is just fun