Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Pandaren Monk skatblast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,890

    Reverse image search sites/face recognition

    Are there any good sites out there that you can upload a photo too and it will show you everywhere on the internet that the image appears. Something like http://www.tineye.com/ but it actually works. Thanks fellas

  2. #2
    Tinyeye / Google images is prolly the best you are gonna get.
    Intel i5 2500K | ASRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | Gigabyte Windforcex3 GTX 680 OC | Crucial M4 128GB
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB | H100 | NZXT Hale90 850w | Arc Midi
    Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 (Browns)

  3. #3
    Pandaren Monk skatblast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,890
    I just thought there would be a better one that actually scans the picture and looks for ones like it instead of just using the file name. And i use filenames i know that are known pics on the internet and the site still doesnt find them. I have heard of a site like this before but i never used it and cant seem to find it

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    I just thought there would be a better one that actually scans the picture and looks for ones like it instead of just using the file name.
    Unless I am extremely wrong, that is how they work. They look for images that match that of the one you have entered, not for your filename (although on google at least, keywords can be used to help your search).
    Intel i5 2500K | ASRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | Gigabyte Windforcex3 GTX 680 OC | Crucial M4 128GB
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB | H100 | NZXT Hale90 850w | Arc Midi
    Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 (Browns)

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Resinderate View Post
    Unless I am extremely wrong, that is how they work. They look for images that match that of the one you have entered, not for your filename.
    I was under that impression as well. You just upload the picture to imgur, OP, then drag it into the search box on images.google.com.

  6. #6
    AFAIK a facial recognition search such as the one you're suggesting would be very illegal.

    Why do you need to do something like this anyway? I can't fathom a single (non nefarious) reason to use such a thing.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - JBL S300A - FiiO E10 - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    AFAIK a facial recognition search such as the one you're suggesting would be very illegal.

    Why do you need to do something like this anyway? I can't fathom a single (non nefarious) reason to use such a thing.
    Maybe he wants to see if that chick who sent him a pic is really a chick or if it's just passed around the net. I don't see why it would be illegal but knowing counties (especially the US) I could see them having some stupid law like that.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Maybe he wants to see if that chick who sent him a pic is really a chick or if it's just passed around the net. I don't see why it would be illegal but knowing counties (especially the US) I could see them having some stupid law like that.
    nah they're not illegal
    some chick that was in our guild recently got busted cause she was using some picture of some cropped ugly (naked) chick as her facebook. she had some dude dooped in a couple year "relationship" haha. pic was from like reddit i think
    Last edited by bals; 2012-07-14 at 06:34 AM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    AFAIK a facial recognition search such as the one you're suggesting would be very illegal.

    Why do you need to do something like this anyway? I can't fathom a single (non nefarious) reason to use such a thing.
    If you couldn't remember the name of a celeb, wanted to see if your social site pictures were being used for nefarious things, if you see a lot of fan pictures of a show but don't know what it is.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Maybe he wants to see if that chick who sent him a pic is really a chick or if it's just passed around the net. I don't see why it would be illegal but knowing counties (especially the US) I could see them having some stupid law like that.
    It would more than likely violate numerous privacy laws, not just in the US. Remember when facebook got their wrist slapped pretty hard when they tried to employ their own facial recognition?

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-14 at 06:25 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    nah they're note illegal
    some chick that was in our guild recently got busted cause she was using some picture of some cropped ugly (naked) chick as her facebook. she had some dude dooped in a couple year "relationship" haha. pic was from like reddit i think
    That's not facial recognition, that's similar image searching. Facial recognition violates privacy laws...
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - JBL S300A - FiiO E10 - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    That's not facial recognition, that's similar image searching. Facial recognition violates privacy laws...
    that's what op was asking for

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    that's what op was asking for
    Look at the thread title.

    EDIT: To elaborate, if such a service was available, the search engine would have to aggregate an absolute shit ton of photos, and store biometric data for each face to return results. You can't do that, it's a big nono that violates privacy and data protection laws.

    Imagine China or some other corrupt government reviewing a tape of protesters, taking a snapshot, and using this service to find them.
    Last edited by glo; 2012-07-14 at 06:30 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - JBL S300A - FiiO E10 - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Look at the thread title.
    Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    Are there any good sites out there that you can upload a photo too and it will show you everywhere on the internet that the image appears. Something like http://www.tineye.com/ but it actually works. Thanks fellas
    read past the title young padawan.

    i don't know of any websites that you can use to find similar pictures (there are some ones that do what celebrities you look like) but there are several that will find images that are the same.

  14. #14
    Pandaren Monk skatblast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    AFAIK a facial recognition search such as the one you're suggesting would be very illegal.

    Why do you need to do something like this anyway? I can't fathom a single (non nefarious) reason to use such a thing.
    First of all its not illegal lol.

    Second of all im not looking to find somebodys facebook or something. I just want to put a picture (could possibly be a naked woman, could be a giant bale of weed, could be a exotic private jet or car that somebody puts up and looks fake) and i want to see if it has ever appeared on 4chan, or something stupid like that so i know if its legit.

    The picture that im testing i know is on a photobucket album and a facebook page. So i know if the website works or not.

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-14 at 02:40 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    read past the title young padawan.

    i don't know of any websites that you can use to find similar pictures (there are some ones that do what celebrities you look like) but there are several that will find images that are the same.
    Yeah i dont want similiar photos. Like for instance i dont want to put a picture of my brother on there and see every picture that my brother has ever appeared in on the internet. I want to put in a specific photo and see where that exact photo has appeared on the internet, not ones like it.

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-14 at 02:45 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Look at the thread title.

    EDIT: To elaborate, if such a service was available, the search engine would have to aggregate an absolute shit ton of photos, and store biometric data for each face to return results. You can't do that, it's a big nono that violates privacy and data protection laws.

    Imagine China or some other corrupt government reviewing a tape of protesters, taking a snapshot, and using this service to find them.
    they do exist and they do have shitloads of images. That one site i linked had over 2 billion stored
    Last edited by skatblast; 2012-07-14 at 06:43 AM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    Yeah i dont want similiar photos. Like for instance i dont want to put a picture of my brother on there and see every picture that my brother has ever appeared in on the internet. I want to put in a specific photo and see where that exact photo has appeared on the internet, not ones like it.
    alright, well that's not what you said originally :P
    i don't know any services like that and frankly if there were any it would take such a huge amount of resources to accomplish it it wouldn't even be practical

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    First of all its not illegal lol.

    Second of all im not looking to find somebodys facebook or something. I just want to put a picture (could possibly be a naked woman, could be a giant bale of weed, could be a exotic private jet or car that somebody puts up and looks fake) and i want to see if it has ever appeared on 4chan, or something stupid like that so i know if its legit.

    The picture that im testing i know is on a photobucket album and a facebook page. So i know if the website works or not.

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-14 at 02:40 AM ----------



    Yeah i dont want similiar photos. Like for instance i dont want to put a picture of my brother on there and see every picture that my brother has ever appeared in on the internet. I want to put in a specific photo and see where that exact photo has appeared on the internet, not ones like it.

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-14 at 02:45 AM ----------



    they do exist and they do have shitloads of images. That one site i linked had over 2 billion stored
    Yes, it is. What you're suggesting (crossing a picture of someone from photobucket to facebook) is beyond illegal. I suggest you read up on the majority of 1st world country privacy laws and data protection acts.

    Basically -

    Image matching = peachy
    Facial recognition (biometric data aggregation) = super illegal
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - JBL S300A - FiiO E10 - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Basically -

    Image matching = peachy
    Facial recognition (biometric data aggregation) = super illegal
    doesn't even have to be illegal it's so impractical resource wise lol

  18. #18
    An image search will search for similar images.
    While not specifically meant for facial recognition, certainly if an identical image was used elsewhere then it would likely be picked up as a match.
    How close or not it would deem different images is another matter, and might vary hugely based on the context/conditions of each image.

  19. #19
    OMG yes Its Called TINEYE just Google it And No it isn't illegal

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by xICEMANx117 View Post
    OMG yes Its Called TINEYE just Google it And No it isn't illegal
    Tineye finds image sources. It has nothing to do with facial recognition...
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - JBL S300A - FiiO E10 - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •