Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Subject line says it all... there always seems to be an initial rush @ the release of a game, and then the conclusion is drawn that 5-6 months down the road may have been a better place to start, after some wrinkles have been ironed out.

What say you, is this game worth jumping in on immediately?
    You can't really compare GW2 with others subscription based mmo's like wow or swtor...

Considering you pay only once for gw2 and not a monthly fee, people will stick around longer for sure even if the game's not THAT amazing...Since once you pay, you own it and can play it forever...

That being said, I can't answer your question OP cause I'm waiting on the next beta weekend to answer that question for myself

Deleted
    If you like PvP, buy it now. Otherwise wait.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Nah, it was a rock halfway down the cliff off to the right facing the wizard's tower. No bug related to it besides "We can totally clip a couple inches into this rock" so I doubt many people reported it, yet it was fixed by BWE3. Harley Quinn and I were joking about being the only 2 to report it, but that's probably not far off from the truth. It was a pain to get to while also being an unbelievably minor bug that very few people would notice.

Swimming around underground was significantly more important to fix. =P
    Indeed, I know of at least one other person on these forums who got in. Also, I'm really sad because I only took one screenshot. I shall treasure it forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    On a more serious note (not that the story wasn't true), there were a few annoying bugs in BWE2. One was in the 25-35 zone with some catapults (or something, don't remember) that you would get stuck inside after destroying them and had to die to get out of (or something, I don't remember. It was mostly Glytch getting stuck due to being melee). I wouldn't say it's completely bug free, but the only bugs in the content we've seen are minor and I would put money on 90% of them being fixed by BWE3.
    Didn't have to die. I could shadowstep out of them, or I could wait for them to respawn.

Still freaking sucked though.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Didn't have to die. I could shadowstep out of them, or I could wait for them to respawn.

Still freaking sucked though.
    Glytch was waypointing out. As I said, wouldn't know as I wasn't the one getting stuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glytch was waypointing out. As I said, wouldn't know as I wasn't the one getting stuck.
    Had moments where I got stuck inside things, including walls, while stuck in combat. There's a reason I kept Shadowstep slotted all BWE.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Had moments where I got stuck inside things, including walls, while stuck in combat. There's a reason I kept Shadowstep slotted all BWE.
    I got stuck literally one time the whole BWE, which was the situation I detailed. Not sure what you were doing that was getting you stuck regularly. o.o

10+ Year Old Account
    I got stuck literally one time the whole BWE, which was the situation I detailed. Not sure what you were doing that was getting you stuck regularly. o.o
    I believe what happened was I got knocked back into the wall by some champion level mob in the vault in Plains of Ashford.

Still never got that skill point.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Subject line says it all... there always seems to be an initial rush the release of a game, and then the conclusion is drawn that 5-6 months down the road may have been a better place to start, after some wrinkles have been ironed out.

What say you, is this game worth jumping in on immediately?
    I'm fairly certain there will be changes/adjustments within the first 6 months; however I think them magnitude of those changes will be minimal at best, and not game-changing. The only thing I can think of, off the top of my head, would be downed-state abilities: some are "lol" and some are "wtf"-ish. I believe these will be sorted for BWE3 though. Maybe you should look at the change log for the BWE3 when it becomes available and see if you think they've been actively trying to avoid the case you mentioned. For me personally - I think the game will be solid enough to deal with the little issues that are bound to pop up.

Deleted
    The game is significantly more polished than most other MMOs to release in the past few years from what we have seen. It's up to you whether you buy it right away though, no one here can really tell you what is or what is not 'worth it'.

(Psst, he's not asking about beta weekends.)
    i havent played any of the more recent (last month) beta weekends, does the movement still feel sluggish despite casting being almost instantaneous? this was a huge turn off for me

Quote Originally Posted by Cranberries View Post
    i havent played any of the more recent (last month) beta weekends, does the movement still feel sluggish despite casting being almost instantaneous? this was a huge turn off for me
    Movement never felt sluggish for me in the first place. Roll a shorter character?

I say go ahead and get it.

If you don't like it, wait a bit and try it again. Still don't like it? Wait a bit and try it again.

That's the beauty of not needing a subscription.

10+ Year Old Account
    where ever you are when you've just had a long fight against another player, to screw up your day
    in my personal opinion if you've already come this far i say wait untill release

Deleted
    Well in my opinion it really depends on what exactly is making you hold back from buying it. I've had a couple of people say they're hoping the price goes down a bit once it's out, so they'll pick it up then, if that's the case go ahead.
    Thing is, as someone already pointed out in this thread, if you find that you don't like it right now (because it's too... buggy*) you can always come back to it in 6 months, or a year, or whenever the hell you feel like it, because it has no subscription fee, and with the systems they have in place (level scaling for example) you shouldn't be in a terrible disadvantage in terms of catching up to content.

* I feel like I must point out this game is very very polished, the improvements between betas/stress tests were visible, and I expect them to continue with swift fixes of bugs that might popup at anytime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    they should have said in huge bold text "you are buying the game not the beta"

just seems like a cheap move that people are asking for refunds

its like people who buy clothes, wear them once, then return them to the store for refunds
    It should, but ArenaNet knows people better. XD

They know that some won't like it, but the one's they hook (myself included) will be loyal fans for years to come.

I found a share of bugs in the previous BWEs. The worst from BWE1 was a skillchallenge not working, which was fixed by BWE2. And in BWE2 i found another bugged skillchallenge. Which really wasnt that big of a deal.

Honestly, i found Gw2 to be far less buggy then some games were at release. So if thats all your worried about, i think they actually did a pretty good job. But i fully expect to find more bugs in release, its just impossible to iron out everything. But nothing gamebreaking, nothing gamebreaking even showed up in BWE1 as far as i know.

Deleted
    Movement never felt sluggish for me in the first place. Roll a shorter character?
    okay so you aren't paying attention

someone who was actually playing attention, does it still feel sluggish?

I definitely think it is worth it but that is entirely up to you. If you always wait then there is no harm in waiting for this one too.

Deleted

Woah there, that's a little bit rude, any reason to dismiss the completely valid opinion?
    Other than when LAG happened, movement was NOT sluggish on my end at all either.

Count me as another who never felt the movement as sluggish. Now you may not like the glide effect that can appear but in no means does that impair the movement.