Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    This shit's tricky. I'll try and name my favorites but will likely end up with 10 that I've listened to over the years and still haven't gotten tired of enjoying. No relevant order.

- Alice in Chains; Dirt. Along with Jar of Flies, definitely the best of Alice in Chains.

- Bathory; Blood on Ice. Probably not the best out of all of Quorthon's work, I personally prefer most of the songs on Blood Fire Death to most of the ones on here for example, but it feels whole. Story telling and a bigger meaning are something I always look for in an album.

- Cypress Hill; Skull & Bones. I'm a very big fan of rap-metal, street metal or whatever people want to call it so I may be biased here (if I weren't I'd probably put up their debut here instead). Both discs are a blast, even though the "rock" side, Bones, seems to get a lot of shit from critics and fans. I think both B and Sen Dog's vocals fit really well into rock/metal sounding tracks; Skull is their best work since Black Sunday, no doubt about it.

- Dio; Holy Diver. Hard choice. Could've mentioned Dream Evil instead just as easily. Won't dwell on it, it's Dio.

- Eluveitie; Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion. They're a Metal band. This a folk record. It never fails to impress me when bands can mix two genres, but what impresses me the most is when a band that does that takes away one of the two and still sounds amazing.

Frank Zappa; Joe's Garage. Standard Zappa. Ridiculous and insane rock opera that will likely amuse anyone who wants to spend 2 hours listening to it.

Ihsahn; After. This is great. Ihsahn knows exactly how to articulate everything in a song, and every song within an album.

System of a Down; Steal This Album!. In my opinion, the best SOAD record. Nothing much else to say.

Johnny Cash; American Recordings. It's hard to pick an album when everything an artist does is amazing. I picked this album because I personally feel a closer connection to the songs in it than I do to the ones in My Mother's Hymn Book, for example. It's also always good to see someone who is secure enough about their talent that he/she feels comfortable enough to cover other great artists (Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Trent Reznor, etc.) and put those recordings into their albums.

I know we're only supposed to name ten, but I saved this one for last.

- Sir Christopher Lee; Charlemagne: By the Sword and the Cross. Main reason I'm mentioning this album is because of how fucking amazing it is for someone to bring out a Metal album of this quality at the age of EIGHTY EIGHT. It's quite possibly the best symphonic metal album I have ever listened to, telling the story of the first Holy Roman Emperor, King of the Franks, a Christian warrior King. I cannot recommend this enough.

PS: Respect to Sicknature, Ill Bill, Q-Unique, Necro, Everlast, Slaine and the crew for consistently putting out quality shit throughout the years. Didn't have enough room to list their albums separately.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    to start with, big fist-bump to the OP for including S&M; I always felt like a lot of people just disregard it off-hand because "wtf orchestra?" and it's really an interesting take on their sound as well as a sort-of greatest hits compilation

my list, in no particular order, mostly because I'm kinda mercurial and the order would change daily:

Metallica - Master of Puppets
    Alice in Chains - Alice in Chains (3-legged dog cover)
    Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    Live - Throwing Copper
    Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell II: Back into Hell
    Soundgarden - Superunknown
    Primus - Rhinoplasty
    Type O Negative - the Least Worst of
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    Sugar - File Under: Easy Listening

as you can see, my taste is kind of all over the place; Puppets, I consider to be the best Metallica album, though I'm actually a fan of all of their music; Alice, simply one of the best grunge albums there are; Mellon Collie, I bought on the first day it was in stores, and had to buy a second copy because I wore out my originals; Copper, just so many great songs; Bat 2, one of the first cd's I ever owned, and never tire of; Superunknown, Black Hole Sun was one of the first songs I ever decided to memorize, and that creepy creepy video...; Rhinoplasty, just can't get over their cover of Thing that Should not be; Least Worst, possibly the best name ever for a greatest hits album, and it's the only T.O.N. album I have; Dark Side, mostly for the song Brain Damage, but just an all-around great album; Easy Listening, first "oops" album I accidentally bought from one of the mail-order record clubs, and wound up loving it
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
    Amon Amarth - Avenger
    Children Of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet?
    DevilDriver - The Fury Of Our Maker's Hand
    Exodus - Bonded By Blood
    Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh
    Iced Earth - Alive In Athens
    Judas Priest - Painkiller
    Kreator - Enemy Of God
    Mudvayne - The New Game

Quote Originally Posted by moistau View Post
    7. Anthrax - Worship Music (yes, really, love this album more than any of their others but seriously dig the rest as well!)
    It was really fucking close to making my top 10. Definitely their best record except for Persistence in my opinion. While many other old metal bands can't provide today Anthrax returned with one of the best album I've heard since the 2000 shift.

I'm loving how often Painkiller is mentioned.

Might have to edit my list soon, I want to update it to make it more accurate, seeing that I actually like Worship Music more than Asylum and even Ten Thousand Fists.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2012-07-16 at 01:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    5. Ocean Eyes by Owl City
    Nice. I'm not usually a big fan of artists who do consistently 'softer/chilled' out stuff. But, I really like Owl City. The guy is able to arrange some pretty hypnotic arrangements. He seems to have also gotten a lot better at writing/singing songs with a bit more punch. Like Deer In The Headlights, for example, which I love.
    I also really like Owl City's Canadian female counterpart, Lights. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    -- Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me [Indie-Emo-Rock(?)]. Sheer emotion not held back by conformity to a particular musical style. Everything on this album just sounds good, and the emotions invoked by it can be staggering.
    Excellent choice on Devil and God, that album is weirdly atmospheric. Something about the production and the guy's voice that is quite haunting. So much so that their music is actually a little too intense for me to listen to too much of. I freaking love Degausser!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbadxampl View Post
    to start with, big fist-bump to the OP for including S&M; I always felt like a lot of people just disregard it off-hand because "wtf orchestra?" and it's really an interesting take on their sound as well as a sort-of greatest hits compilation
    *Fist-bump!*

It's a damn fine album isn't it? Michael Kamen's orchestration is just amazing. And he manages to make it so much more than just a backing track to add another layer of sound. It's like the orchestra becomes a fifth member of Metallica! I also think that the S&M For Whom The Bell Tolls is one of Metallica's best musical moments.
    Liking your list. Especially Melon Collie, nice addition.

15+ Year Old Account
    1. Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms

2. Coldplay - X&Y

3. Slipknot - IOWA

4. The Killers - Sam's Town

5. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

. Muse - Black Holes and Revelations

7. Muse - Origin of Symmetry

8. - Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to The Head

9. Linkin park - Hybrid Theory

10. Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    Excellent choice on Devil and God, that album is weirdly atmospheric. Something about the production and the guy's voice that is quite haunting. So much so that their music is actually a little too intense for me to listen to too much of. I freaking love Degausser!
    That's one of the reasons I love this album so much. Their frontman is extremely emotive and the production is done perfectly so you can hear everything clearly without any shitty digital compression. It's actually (and unfortunately) rare to find albums with clear yet non-compressed production.