Thread: Rareware :(

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Rareware :(

Does anyone remember who The Beatles of gaming are? It's Rareware back before they were bought by Microsoft. You would probably put at least 2 or 3 if not 4 titles in your top 10 favorite games for the N64. That said, they were bought by Microsoft in 2002 and the founders left in 2007 to "pursue other opportunities".

Now I understand why they left in 2007 due to the fact that they saw their company becoming a kinect game maker (that's the theory I have as to why they left) and why they may have left Nintendo. My assumption as to why they left Nintendo is money, can't be anything else. Microsoft is top dog when it comes to money.

So they joined Microsoft made a few good games such as Kameo (opinions vary) and Viva Pinata but didn't really follow up after that. Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts wasn't bad but the fact that it felt like Microsoft pushed them to use there mascot (yes Banjo was the Rare mascot and I fully believe that Microsoft told them to do that) to help the game sell severely disappointed me.

As for everything else, the original Banjo Kazooie lead designer Gregg Mayles still is with the company but is the main guy for Rare now. I just can't help think that Microsoft is just using Rare to develop horrible games for the Kinect, it just makes Rare look worse having to make games for such a horrible piece of technology. I also feel that Microsoft Game Studios just abuses it's developers in general, it feels like a lot of the developers just don't have a say in what they do... Didn't Bungie leave them?
    Hey everyone

Banjo Kazooie and DK country for life =}. Truly one of the saddest things to happen to a company in gaming history.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilmaniac View Post
    Banjo Kazooie and DK country for life =}. Truly one of the saddest things to happen to a company in gaming history.
    I want to go buy the N64 again.
    Hey everyone

If you can even compare them to The Beatles. Rare is more like a fallen champion who sold their soul to the devil, and in turn had their limbs torn apart and had them replaced with wooden planks with strings attached and forced to dance like a marionette.

Conker's Bad Fur Day had a sequel planned, but was cancelled by Microsoft and they told Rare to develop and rehash Conker's Bad Fur Day into Conker Live & Reloaded, which was horrible, between the ridiculous censorship and the worst 3rd person shooter multiplayer I've ever played, the best way to describe what happened is Microsoft took a great game, devoured it, turned it into shit and sprinkled it with nice graphical quality to pass it off as something decent.

Then you have the infamous Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts- oh boy was this a turd travesty of a game. They were self aware at this point and intentionally wanted to piss off fans who loved the series by coming out at the beginning of the game and flat out telling you "This game isn't the game you hoped for and it's shit, thanks for the money, asshole." The only reason this was a Banjo-Kazooie game was because the initial plan was to be a 3D platformer, but because "the levels were too big" they decided to go with vehicles, which I don't buy at all- really it's sole purpose is to be a shit stain on the Banjo-Kazooie series. It's like a perfectly content family with 2 siblings (and a GBA cousin) and an expecting child, but instead the child is aborted and for a twisted joke the parents adopt this sadistic and sociopathic devil child who murders small animals.

Oh and I'll just leave this here. From former Rare composoer Grant Kirkhope.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a shame that Microsoft took control of them, it's like they either wanted to purposely destroy them OR they didn't understand that when you have a developer as great as Rare when first bought the company then you do not tell them "We want money, so listen to us, we know what the consumer wants". From my view Microsoft Game Studios doesn't leave their developers alone...

You wonder why Bungie left, it was kind of the same thing but for Rare it was more about their core staff leaving. It's sad really, really sad.
    Hey everyone

Rareware....... Made the N64 worth owning just on the back of the games they made for the system.

I liked them best in the 8-bit games, when their games were more quirky and willing to try out different concepts, like Snake Rattle n' Roll. Starting with Battletoads they played it safe, copying whatever cookie cutter formulas were trendy at the time and it felt uninspired. Not a fan of Donkey Kong Country or Killer Instinct, though Goldeneye was good considering console FPS standards at the time, and they channeled some of the good old Rare in Conker, but for the most part the magic was long gone before Microsoft entered the picture.

I still hold on to this sliver of hope that they'll come back to making great games again, but deep down I know it's not gonna happen.

At least I never get tired of Banjo Kazooie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Banjo Kazooie was magical IMO. I loved that game *so* much.

And my ex played Goldeneye until he was blue in the face. Both of us loved Killer Instinct 1/2 though, we've hoped for a long time that we would eventually see part 3. Guess it isn't happening, unless the game is some Kinect-based POS for XB360.

15+ Year Old Account
    And don't forget Killer Instincts 1 and 2 and Goldeneye. Rareware was a great developer once...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss them so much. :'( Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, and Donkey Kong 64 were amazing games that I grew up on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never played DK64... I NEED TO GET A JOB SOON!!! That means so I can buy an N64.
    Hey everyone

Diddy Kong Racing anyone?

Wasted a lot of time on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Loved the killer instinct series, golden eye etc, pretty much the only developer for the N64 worth spending the exorbitant wallet raping price for..... mmmm laptop gun.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

10+ Year Old Account
    If they do one last thing is this world, I hope its give us our legit Banjo Threeie like they promised :c Banjo Tooie is one of my favorite games ever.

I know it won't happen, but I GOTTA KEEP SOME KINDA HOPE MAN

I remember back in 2002 I was kinda shocked Rareware left Nintendo. I've always been a fan of Banjo Kazooie. Rareware went downhill when they left Nintendo. Nuts and Bolts wasn't even comparable with Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie.

Rareware signed it's dead contract when they left Nintendo in 2002; I'm over it now.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is sadly what money does to people these days....and now thanks to the greed of money i wont be able to play Goldeneye or Banjo Kazooie on the Wii Virtual Console (If its there i havent looked sorry) but luckily i still own a original copy of all of Rares games,and you cant beat the original swear fest that was Conkers bad fur day.

In my world money would be burnt and everyone would have a equal share of anything they need,no rich no poor!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    I never played DK64... I NEED TO GET A JOB SOON!!! That means so I can buy an N64.
    lol you can probably run it on an emulator fine nowdays. I know Mariokart, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask run fine. And I'm not sure these companies would be getting any money from you... lol

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Diddy Kong Racing anyone?

Wasted a lot of time on that.
    fuck yeah, highfive

I still play Mariokart Doubledash whenever my bros come down.

Deleted
    Banjo Kazooie and DK country for life =}.
    Rare had a lot more great games.

Battletoads, Killer Instinct, Goldeneye, Conker's Bad Fur Day. And I'm probably forgetting some.

Shame Microsoft destroyed the company. Think about all the great games that never came to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Rare had a lot more great games.

Battletoads, Killer Instinct, Goldeneye, Conker's Bad Fur Day. And I'm probably forgetting some.

Shame Microsoft destroyed the company. Think about all the great games that never came to be.
    Dont forget Blast Corps, probably their most under rated game