Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Presidents Speech In Roanoke Va Today

I certainly am not in love with having to vote for Mitt Romney for president( I voted Obama in 2008) but after hearing the presidents speech today he can go suck it. He has no clue about starting or running a small business.

"There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

Link to the official white house transcript of the speech

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...anoke-virginia

Don;t even know what to say just wow what an idiot he is.

I believe you're misinterpreting the speech. He's simply saying that, if you own a business, (obviously, for the vast majority of businesses) it was not a one-man show and you did not directly control every factor of said business.

It can even go so far as to be interpreted to say that, for example, the roads leading to your first office space were paved by tax dollars - thus, the "Average American" helped in the success of that business.

Regardless, if you're going to link an article, say more than "Wow president u r so dumb u know nothing about business." Give a counter-example or something of substance to add to the discussion. You aren't doing much more than quoting an article and complaining.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of rich people didn't get there on their own, though. The "1%" as some people call it. They mainly get income through inheritance, and then investments and money manipulation.
    "When I was 5 years old, my mother told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, I told them they didn't understand life." - John Lennon

Not everyone Springs out of Zeuses head, so chances are there is no, doing anything alone.

No man is an island, I think that was the point being made.
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2012-07-15 at 04:29 AM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    If anything, the biggest problem I take out of this speech was "Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that's why the internet was created.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    I believe you're misinterpreting the speech. He's simply saying that, if you own a business, (obviously, for the vast majority of businesses) it was not a one-man show and you did not directly control every factor of said business.

It can even go so far as to be interpreted to say that, for example, the roads leading to your first office space were paved by tax dollars - thus, the "Average American" helped in the success of that business.

Regardless, if you're going to link an article, say more than "Wow president u r so dumb u know nothing about business." Give a counter-example or something of substance to add to the discussion. You aren't doing much more than quoting an article and complaining.
    Sorry but you are dead wrong, the vast majority of small businesses, you know the #1 job creators in the United States, we created by one or 2 people through sacrifice hard work and sweat. I have had my small business for over 8 years now and no one gave me anything to start it or helped me out. I am not reading into his speech as you are I am simply reading what he stated. Since he has never had a small business, or even a real job in his entire life he must have been confused and thought he was talking about himself. Since he was given everything he ever had and was constantly helped along the way to get where he is; that I would believe. The link if you had even bothered to look at it was not an article it was to the OFFICIAL WHITEHOUSE PRESS RELEASE OF THE SPEECH. I didn't want to be accused of taking anything out of context or quoting something that was not true.

Why don't you go ask one of your neighborhood small business owners how they feel about it, since they didn't really "build" their business, someone else did that. What a crock!
    Last edited by Vespers99; 2012-07-15 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespers99 View Post
    Sorry but you are dead wrong, the vast majority of small businesses, you know the #1 job creators in the United States, we created by one or 2 people through sacrifice hard work and sweat. I have had my small business for over 8 years now and no one gave me anything to start it or helped me out. I am not reading into his speech as you are I am simply reading what he stated. Since he has never had a small business, or even a real job in his entire life he must have been confused and thought he was talking about himself. Since he was given everything he ever had and was constantly helped along the way to get where he is; that I would believe.
    If you actually read the parts you quoted you'd see how much you're misreading it.

There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges.
    He's saying that no matter what, someone out there helped you, as indirectly as it could've been. Your dad inspired you to work? He helped. Your teacher taught you a valuable life lesson? He helped. Someone created the road that you drive on everyday to work? He helped.

He's not saying you did nothing yourself, he's saying that you never could've done it without any sort of help. Are you saying you don't use the roads that you drive on? Are you saying that no one ever inspired you in life? It's kind of a stupid point if you ask me, but you're misreading it.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry but you are dead wrong, the vast majority of small businesses, you know the #1 job creators in the United States, we created by one or 2 people through sacrifice hard work and sweat. I have had my small business for over 8 years now and no one gave me anything to start it or helped me out. I am not reading into his speech as you are I am simply reading what he stated. Since he has never had a small business, or even a real job in his entire life he must have been confused and thought he was talking about himself. Since he was given everything he ever had and was constantly helped along the way to get where he is; that I would believe.
    Ummmm..... Obama has had a real job outside of politics as a professor and lawyer, and he was not handed everything in his life like you want to believe. I don't know where you're getting this information. Also, while that may be true for you, it is not true for everyone, and even the vast majority of small businesses require working with others to succeed.

Please tell me again how I am misreading this quote " If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen." Wow the public education system has really gotten scary. He was clearly pandering to the working class crowd he was speaking to but the line I listed is clearly not out of context. I know what he was trying to say that beause of this great system that we have we have created mentors who helped someone sometime in their life with a though or a suggestion and that is how that business person succeeded. They didn't build that business on their own they were helped by you blue collar working folks, you actually built it with your ideas and support(no money of course and no labor or sweat or risk of losing anything) but you folks are the true success stories of all the businesses in America......Bla bla bla.....................

Please.....go start a business own your own so that if you happen to be successful you can come back and tell us how you really didnt do it.

Dang I just thought so if I didn't build a business or it was a failure does that mean that those poeple who were supposed to inspire me were failures also? See thats where the stupidity of his statements fall apart.
    Last edited by Vespers99; 2012-07-15 at 05:00 AM.

when you quote something you should quote what they actually said. You are leaving out all of the context to cherrypick phrases.
    Last edited by starlord; 2012-07-15 at 05:03 AM.

There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges.
    This is the important part. This is what he means. He's not trying to undermine your business (there's a reason he says this sentence before the next), he's saying that no matter what, someone has helped you, even indirectly.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like the OP is blinded by hatred and refuses to understand that his gripe with the President's speech is fundamentally wrong. Turn off the Fox News and Rush and try formulating your own thought for once.

it's people like the OP who make me hate some of the people that live in this country

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    If you actually read the parts you quoted you'd see how much you're misreading it.

He's saying that no matter what, someone out there helped you, as indirectly as it could've been. Your dad inspired you to work? He helped. Your teacher taught you a valuable life lesson? He helped. Someone created the road that you drive on everyday to work? He helped.

He's not saying you did nothing yourself, he's saying that you never could've done it without any sort of help. Are you saying you don't use the roads that you drive on? Are you saying that no one ever inspired you in life? It's kind of a stupid point if you ask me, but you're misreading it.
    Almost missed the road part thats a jewel, What about air to breathe , without air to breathe I wouldn't have been able to create a business either. How about the sun warming the earth, without heat and light I wouldn't have been able to create a business either. Whew! lucky someone built all that for me!

Almost missed the road part thats a jewel, What about air to breathe , without air to breathe I wouldn't have been able to create a business either. How about the sun warming the earth, without heat and light I wouldn't have been able to create a business either. Whew! lucky someone built all that for me!
    Honestly, keep grasping at straws it's amusing me. You've managed to over-interpret what Obama said and then under-interpret what Vizzle said, and for that magic feat I applaud you and weep for your soul.

Its people who can't think for themselves that make me hate the peopple that live in this country! I am pretty sure this president could sell most of you folks swampland in florida and you would buy it.

are you suggesting that you built the sun?
    honestly it seems like you're not very good at reading, or just decided to attempt to make something inflammatory that is clearly not.

Come back and talk to me after you have some basis in reality like are running your own business that you started on your own. College is great but its not the real world. I feel sorry for you when the real world jumps up and slaps you in the face, you are going to be totally unprepared and blindsided; pretty much right along the lines of your thought processes.

Work on reading comprehension...

Its people who can't think for themselves that make me hate the peopple that live in this country! I am pretty sure this president could sell most of you folks swampland in florida and you would buy it.

I don't blindly support the president. It just so happens that we share similar beliefs because I don't support things that are batshit crazy

---------- Post added 2012-07-15 at 01:16 AM ----------

Come back and talk to me after you have some basis in reality like are running your own business that you started on your own. College is great but its not the real world. I feel sorry for you when the real world jumps up and slaps you in the face, you are going to be totally unprepared and blindsided; pretty much right along the lines of your thought processes.
    Do you think most people get loans from banks to start their small businesses?