Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Liara View Post
    After the 10 days of basic I had a 4 month course to train for the job itself. Though I did indeed need to forget everything once I got to my unit :P
    However, it takes about 18 months (give or take depending on skill levels of the individual) to be fully "certified" (meaning they're qualified to do every single task independently), and around 6 months to be useful. Meaning women usually get discharged just around the time (if not before) they're fully certified (it's a retarded system).

As for the basic, it really isn't supposed to teach us marksmanship skills, and since the jobs themselves rarely have "pressure" (in the combat sense) there's no need for specific training for it. Although I did fairly well at the shooting range, only missed one shot or so :P

To be honest, it's not the standard (which is a month), we just got lucky
    those 4 months you spent training for your job are what we would call AIT =)

Quote Originally Posted by goobernoob View Post
    those 4 months you spent training for your job are what we would call AIT =)
    Ahh, gotcha. They were fairly pointless :P

Deleted
    Ahh, gotcha. They were fairly pointless :P
    Same can be said for most military training, lots of bullshit burying the useful stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Is it true that USMC drill instructors are only issued one "dusty" cap, and if it is destroyed they are no longer allowed to be a drill instructor? It seems a little harsh, uniform gets damaged all the time during training.

This is the hat I am referring too.

When I was in the Marine every PX had all possible uniforms to include the 'Smoky' which was what it was called when I was in. But then there where several MOS's which had that cover as standard issue.

---------- Post added 2012-07-15 at 08:57 AM ----------

here is the list of who can wear these in the Marines, I knew it was more than Drill Instructors.

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sit...MCUR/URCH7.htm
    2. The hat is authorized for wear by the following personnel only:

a. At Recruit Depots/recruit rifle ranges when approved by the Commanding Generals.

(1) Assigned male and female drill instructors

(2) Sergeants major, recruit training regiments

(3) Recruit company first sergeants

(4) Primary marksmanship instructors conducting recruit marksmanship training

(5) Chief marksmanship instructors

(6) Line NCO's and coaches

(7) Range officers (MOS 9925)

b. Drill instructors at Naval Aviation Officer Candidate School

c. Range officers (MOS 9925) at Marine Corps Combat Development Command, Quantico.

d. Members of the USMC rifle and pistol teams (Regular/Reserve) funded by HQMC.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Same can be said for most military training, lots of bullshit burying the useful stuff.
    Aye, true. In my case it was simply that what the course taught us was extremely general and abstract, and sometimes even contradictory to what my specific unit did.

Aye, true. In my case it was simply that what the course taught us was extremely general and abstract, and sometimes even contradictory to what my specific unit did.
    that sounds about right =)

---------- Post added 2012-07-15 at 11:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    When I was in the Marine every PX had all possible uniforms to include the 'Smoky' which was what it was called when I was in. But then there where several MOS's which had that cover as standard issue.

---------- Post added 2012-07-15 at 08:57 AM ----------

here is the list of who can wear these in the Marines, I knew it was more than Drill Instructors.

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sit...MCUR/URCH7.htm
    yeah, my PMI loved bragging that he could wear the smokey bear without being a DI, normal marksmanship instructors wore something that looked like a British safari helmet to me. all of those are in training units except for the rifle/pistol teams, didn't know they got to wear it =)

Worst thing ever for me was before my second deployment, someone had stolen my body armour from my truck after work. I tried to report it as stolen, but the army wouldn't have it. I ended up paying over 450$ for my body armour (luckily my sapi plates weren't installed).

Word to the wise, never store any TA-50 in your vehicle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, seems like stealing happens no matter where you do your service. In Finland atleast, the most sought after things were socks, the winter jackets and your marine blue wool collage. becouse its cold all the time! Worst thing that nearly happened to my gear was when I was close to blowing up my mine detector during EOD training, felt like a complete idiot since our captain was watching.

Its quite OT but just liked this thread too much ^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eläin View Post
    Haha, seems like stealing happens no matter where you do your service. In Finland atleast, the most sought after things were socks, the winter jackets and your marine blue wool collage. becouse its cold all the time! Worst thing that nearly happened to my gear was when I was close to blowing up my mine detector during EOD training, felt like a complete idiot since our captain was watching.

Its quite OT but just liked this thread too much ^^
    Nothing wrong with being OT if it is entertaining.