Poll: Free starter gear for freshly dinged 85s?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Personally I think everyone should have the same gear regardless of when you ding'd 85. I am for the removal of all gear-progression in PvP.

Deleted
    too broad a question. Should be more like 'should there be a new way to get starter gear BY 85 (well 90 soon) I personally think quest rewards should give you an option. for instance with the new quests in mists giving you spec specific gear, why not through in a choice between 2 stats, or one and resilience. have 2 lots of gear for a hunter for example mail top, 100 agility, 100 stamina, 50 crit and 50 hit. or 100 agility, 100 stamina, 50 crit and 50 resilience (not meaning these numbers, just putting them so you get what i mean) that way ever hardcore pvp players wouldnt feel too bad leveling up.

On top of that increase the honor gained before highest level, make max level give the best honor by far, but also make the lower levels give ALMOST the same. So you can save up honor ready for 85 / 90, like you kinda can with justice points. Or giving the starter gear at 85 /90 a VERY small honor cost. Or both.

I think giving FREE pvp gear is kinda silly tbh, but we do need a way to get gear easier then hoping into a bg, getting owned for 10 - 15 mins and hoping your team won.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coldbear View Post
    Is the crafted pvp gear that bad?
    It's not too bad, you will survive a little longer with it than in questing gear, but it is not worth spending the average 700 gold or more asking price for each item. If you can craft it yourself and don't mind spending the time farming the mats, then get it, but otherwise just pvp in your quest gear and strike up a relationship with the spirit healer. It won't take long to get enough honor for the starter epic pvp gear, and that will make a big difference to your survival and damage output.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    Personally I think everyone should have the same gear regardless of when you ding'd 85. I am for the removal of all gear-progression in PvP.
    Agreed, the farming aspect of pvp is really what holds it back.

I would make account bound starter PvP gear and upgrade it every season and make sure it's ilv1 just like the heirlooms so noone can cheat his way into heroics with ir or something. It would be a better solution than the crafted gear we have now. It's just not worth the gold/mats and it's really a drag having to make that stuff every time you're giving a new character a try at PvP. That's not exactly encouraging for people who are unfamiliar with PvP to get into it.

But then again, what Brewski said: it would be far better if they just removed gear-progression in PvP altogether. That proves to be the biggest crutch about it anyway.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2012-07-15 at 05:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailozh View Post
    Pvp and pve is two totally different things.

Pve is hunt for loot and boss kills.

Pvp is about skills(they gear shouldn't be a factor)
    Yea, cuz boss kills don't require skill :P
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Hm..how about staring with the 5 crafteable pieces? They are ilv 377 - and IIRC they are not only there so PvE players can cheese their way into heroics and LFRaid? All 5 set you back about 2000 gold on my server
    Which is a ton, especially for a new player. There's no reason it should be like this since RPGs have always been about choice. When you make one choice the clear winner over the other (because one makes you suffer through being 2 shotted repeatedly) there's a problem that needs fixing.

And since Blizzard is so much for gear progression in all aspects of their game, a better way to go about it would be to reduce the enormous gear discrepancy between items from each patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

It's the gap between Ruthless and Cataclysmic that's the problem. There should not be a multiple month gap in gear for people that played every week since the beginning of the season, or a person coming back (or dinged 85) to the game.

Wouldn't that basically destroy the whole point of the crafted blue set? That would kind of screw the smiths over imho.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Hm..how about staring with the 5 crafteable pieces? They are ilv 377 - and IIRC they are not only there so PvE players can cheese their way into heroics and LFRaid? All 5 set you back about 2000 gold on my server
    This will be fixed in MoP with everyone having 30%(?) base resil. Also what server are you on where stuff is that cheap, each piece is 2000g + on my server most days...

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Which is a ton, especially for a new player. There's no reason it should be like this since RPGs have always been about choice. When you make one choice the clear winner over the other (because one makes you suffer through being 2 shotted repeatedly) there's a problem that needs fixing.

And since Blizzard is so much for gear progression in all aspects of their game, a better way to go about it would be to reduce the enormous gear discrepancy between items from each patch.

Idd it is a lot for new player - there you are level 12, been playing a few hours and there is an enormous flash of lightning - and - omg - you are 85 :S

Being 85 is hardly a shock for anyone, it comes after 84, 83, 82 etc. If you are a new player you do not have looms so it usually takes you more than a few days to get there. If you care so much about your pvp you will have been collecting your 377s. as well as some honour to buy things.

Maybe rather than Blizz give you free 370 gear, they should give people to whom becoming 85 is such a shock a guardian. For the want of a better name, she could be called your mummy. She is very well geared and if anyone comes near you in BGs she charges over, hits them with her epic frying pan, main hand equipped, epic handbag off-hand equipped then rushes over to you, kisses you better on the top of your head, which gives you a 1000% stats buff for 3 hours, calls you her' brave little soldier' and changes your nappy. I am sure that would work for some of you

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffa View Post
    Idd it is a lot for new player - there you are level 12, been playing a few hours and there is an enormous flash of lightning - and - omg - you are 85 :S

Being 85 is hardly a shock for anyone, it comes after 84, 83, 82 etc. If you are a new player you do not have looms so it usually takes you more than a few days to get there. If you care so much about your pvp you will have been collecting your 377s. as well as some honour to buy things.

Maybe rather than Blizz give you free 370 gear, they should give people to whom becoming 85 is such a shock a guardian. For the want of a better name, she could be called your mummy. She is very well geared and if anyone comes near you in BGs she charges over, hits them with her epic frying pan, main hand equipped, epic handbag off-hand equipped then rushes over to you, kisses you better on the top of your head, which gives you a 1000% stats buff for 3 hours, calls you her' brave little soldier' and changes your nappy. I am sure that would work for some of you
    Failing all that, give players baseline resilience which would give players some survivability when hit level cap and which they could upgrade with gear.

Deleted
    Pvp and pve is two totally different things.

Pve is hunt for loot and boss kills.

Pvp is about skills(they gear shouldn't be a factor)
    Pvp is about gear, or atleast it was in 4.2. I got 10 wins in streak in arena where I played on both a retri pala and an arms warr

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, so you can do one dungeon and be ready to make lfr a fucking nightmare with all the other new 85's.
    Look! Words!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm so tired of being able to do absolute nothing and being slaughtered in 3 hits with 90k hp for the first few weeks after dinging 85 on a new alt. In my opinion you should be able to get a full set of pvp gear, let's say like ilvl 370 so you can atleast do something instead of running around in ilvl 295 greens while leveling up being able to do absolute nothing.

Anyone else in favor of this?
    you do realize theres crafted starter set with ilvl 377 ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sendetto View Post
    Agreed, the farming aspect of pvp is really what holds it back.
    i see a world pvp problem happening with this though since it would put raiders in control of everything and i definitely dont want that

i voted no on the free gear, also if you take weeks to gear up then you obviously dont play that toon much and it doesnt matter anyways

Deleted
    Free gear? No. Greatly reduced prices on pvp gear as everyone gets more gear? YES!

Either that or have the game que bad geared people into other bad geared people.

It's by no means fun running around in crafted blues + some honor gear vs people that are just fooling around on their ilvl 400+ characters.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2012-07-15 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dracco4heads View Post
    or you could buy a full set of the blue crafted pvp gear for only a few gold?

No thanks to free gear.
    I agree with this. The only issue I see is that on some servers the blue crafted pvp gear is way over priced. I have seen some of the pieces going for like 1500g each.

Quote Originally Posted by dracco4heads View Post
    or you could buy a full set of the blue crafted pvp gear for only a few gold?
    It depends on your server if it's only a 'few' gold.

My server usually is 5-10K on a good day. While this isn't really that expensive for people who know how to make (and keep) money, well.. it is for the other people who don't know how to.

I agree with what somebody else said earlier though, being able to buy the PvP gear before you're 85.. when you used to be able to do that I loved it.