Help with computer build.

Looking to spend between 1000-1400, already have 1k watt power supply, computer case, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 2 gigs seagate HD, decent graphics card 1.2 gigs GeForce GTX 460, could use a better one. My biggest issue is Mother Board and Processor, looking for something in the i7 stream for a longer lasting computer over all.

I would love you all long time for suggestions.

Get a GTX 670, Crucial M4 SSD, ASRock Extreme4 Z77 board, and an i5-3570k. No need for an i7 for gaming, they provide absolutely no performance gains over the i5 line.

Not linking to sites or prices since I don't know where you live.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Canada if that helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Get a GTX 670, Crucial M4 SSD, ASRock Extreme4 Z77 board, and an i5-3570k. No need for an i7 for gaming, they provide absolutely no performance gains over the i5 line.
    GTX 670 will future-proof you for at least a couple of years, the Z77 Extreme4 is a great board, and a ~128gb SSD for use as a boot drive/game storage will give you super-fast boot times and load speeds.

As for the processor, the i5-3570k will cover your needs. If you're set on an i7 though, grab an i7-3770k for ~$100 more.

Those four components will run somewhere between $900-1100 and should set you up pretty well moving forward.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Here ya are! All are from Canadian sites, with shipping added in.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ NCIX)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($118.92 @ TigerDirect Canada)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($398.21 @ DirectCanada)
    Total: $927.10
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated.

I don't think I will need the CPU cooler though, I'm using an older Alienware case, it has about 6 different fans on it already, had zero issues with heating problems thus far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only reason you would need an aftermarket cooler (or an unlocked processor, for that matter) is if you plan to overclock.

If you don't want to mess with overclocking you can save a few dollars by just using the stock cooler that comes with the processor, and buying an i5-3550. Pretty much the same chip as the 3570k, except you can't overclock it so it'll come in around $20-30 cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorphius View Post
    Only reason you would need an aftermarket cooler (or an unlocked processor, for that matter) is if you plan to overclock.

If you don't want to mess with overclocking you can save a few dollars by just using the stock cooler that comes with the processor, and buying an i5-3550. Pretty much the same chip as the 3570k, except you can't overclock it so it'll come in around $20-30 cheaper.
    Thanks for the info! I never realized that before. I have no intentions of overclocking, I'm not the best with the tech stuff, lol. I'm decent with small stuff (RAM, HD, Graphics Card) but the stuff like overclocking is beyond me. Sorry, I may sound stone age right now, I certainly feel that way, ha.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I am not trying to force you into OC, but at $50, that cooler is a STEAL. Also, doing an OC with the new Intel chipsets are pretty easy!

There are plenty of guides out there for it.

My reasoning behind it is this: When the computer starts feeling like old tech, you can OC and make it last a couple more years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    I am not trying to force you into OC, but at $50, that cooler is a STEAL. Also, doing an OC with the new Intel chipsets are pretty easy!

There are plenty of guides out there for it.

My reasoning behind it is this: When the computer starts feeling like old tech, you can OC and make it last a couple more years.
    I see your reasoning, that is a good point. Would give my computer more life for sure, something to think about. Again, thanks for all the help guys.