My life is in your hands (sort of)

Hey everyone,

I am in quite the predicament as of late. This fall I will be a junior majoring in graphic design, with about 30k in student loans. Ive been dead set on this degree since my junior year in high school. Yet as of late Ive been coming to grips with reality and my loan situation. It has really started to make me think about switching to a more promising degree. One degree that Ive been looking into is computer science. The only problem is that I feel my math skills aren't up to snuff. Its not that I'm bad at math, its just that I haven't ever applied myself to it.

Needless to say I have coasted through every math class I have ever taken. The highest course Ive taken was college algebra in my freshman year of college. It was the easiest route for me. The course was not difficult at all and I ended up earning a B. I'm sure if I studied and gave a sh*t about the class I would have easily gotten an A.

I currently have a 3.3 accum and work two jobs. My work ethic is very strong when it comes to the classes that relate to my major/future. Knowing that CS is very math heavy, do you think a guy like me can make it in the field? Ive dabbled in html/css and quite enjoyed it, but I know its nothing like C++.

Is 20k more in loans worth a CS degree over that of a graphic design degree?

Thanks.

If you feel you can do it, CS degrees will get you paid a veritable shitton more than an art degree. That said, it entirely depends on how you feel about money. Personally I'd rather do something I've been interested in than something that will get me more money. THAT said, you can always get your CS degree, get some real money rolling in, and then get the graphics design degree later on down the road.

Art degree by itself is worthless. its all about learning.

People wont hire a programmer unless he has a good degree, but when people need an artist (or a designer) all that matters is his portfolio, not what school he finished etc.
    For all they care, you could be Doctor of Paranormal studies, as long as your portfolio fits their requirements, they will get you hired.
    Not so with CS. Since you cant have a "portfolio" of codes, what will speak most for you are (1) your degree and awards, and (2) your experience.

If you feel like you can handle programming jobs (which can be quite intense) - degree will help you.
    There is no point getting any art degree UNLESS you plan to go into theoretical fine art (i.e. teaching art) - although the actual stuff you learn there might be helpful, most of art comes from self-practice.
    We dream, we dream.