Suggestions to Help Random Battleground PvP

OK, so I am writing this in the hopes that some of you guys might have ideas to improve the BG system. As it stands you are lucky to get 1/4 of the players on your team that are in A: pvp gear, B: know how to complete objectives or C: actually communicate.

I am not going to say I am a prefect pvp player, but at least I use a pvp spec/gear and gems/enchants and try to complete objectives. Much like in PvE where you are expected to have like 397 item level for regular Bastion and BWD as well as know the fights/have the achievements (because the raid leader in quest greens wants to be carried) I believe that there should be some sort of bar to let you in battlegrounds.

Before you say that achievements/item level should not be required, please bear in mind I said a similar bar, not the same thing. Maybe base resilience coming will fix the problem of people with >90k hp. The larger problem however is the lack of players that have no idea how to complete objectives. Also please don't complain about PvP gear in LFR if you do not want PvP'rs to complain about PvE gear in randoms. Both events are how you gear up in PvE/PvP respectively so do not expect people in full Cata/Heroic DS gear to carry you.

I heal in battlegrounds just because I got really tired of 7/8 classes that could heal but instead choose to DPS, and not even do a good job at that. In the current state of battlegrounds however it is a trail of patience. Having 5-6 people chasing a druid in bear form on Strand while a single demolisher at >10% hp is destrying the gate and then complaining they get no heals because I was trying to exorcism spam the demo and other stupid things like that is probably why there are so few healers. Gotta love being called a fail healer when you do not have alot of healing done because no one else wills stay at a base in AB, and instead trickle one at a time into other bases, or decide to fight horde on the roads. I have also seen a group of players run past the EFC in TP, and proceed to chase a single horde around mid then start complaining when we loose the flag and do not get ours back.

In order to prevent this, I think they should implement a system similar to raids where a warning pops up if a base has no friendly players near it or a demolisher is approaching a base ect. Any other suggestions that you guys might have would be appreciated and I plan on consolidating useful ideas into a single post that I will put on the official forums.
    Last edited by Zergin8r; 2012-07-16 at 02:04 PM.

If you are already geared, BGs are not about winning, but dominating the DMG, HK, KB.
    IMO.
    Kenny gona die tonight!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouky View Post
    If you are already geared, BGs are not about winning, but dominating the DMG, HK, KB.
    IMO.
    For you perhaps...

I feel that they could always add a reward system, much like the one in SW:TOR. You would get "medals" which increased the amount of honor points you got at the end of the game, some of these medals were horribly designed though and the system as a whole could use more work, but the idea is good. Protecting your bases and keeping your flag carrier or demolisher alive could be some of the things you could be rewarded for.

As a side note, I'm probably one of those people you are annoyed at since I have PvP'ed a lot as a Shaman but never healed. Reason being that I didn't pick Shaman to heal, I picked it to play Elemental or Enhancement. I find healing boring and I won't go out of my way to sacrifice the play-style I find fun just to play one I don't enjoy for the sake of winning.
    Last edited by mmoce2fa46bcbe; 2012-07-16 at 02:10 PM.

In theory in a pure pug, the alliance and horde should have around the same number of "low performance players".

The pvp spec issue should be somewhat fixed in Mop, where there aren't obviously pvp and pve talents, and switch specs should be less painful.

The issue with not having pvp gear will not be "fixed" in MoP, the change is primary there to discourage high end pvp from using non-pvp gear for more damage/healing.

There really isn't any 1 correct way to play a BG, if you really don't think the enemy will ever attack a base alone, then defending it alone won't help too much, and you might be better off making that gamble that no one will attack that base with no one there.

One thing that does need to change is how honor is given out in BGs, right now you can get more honor quicker by letting your opponent win a "hopeless" BG rather than hold off until time expires. E.g. WSG has 5 possible points that can be scored by both teams, that honor needs to be distributed regardless of how many flag caps actually happen. If time expires then any unclaimed flag caps should be divided between both sides. E.g. If you win 1/0, then you get 3.0 flag cap points, while your opponent gets 2.0. If your team wins with all 3, then you should get any flag caps your opponent didn't get, in that you get more honor from 3/0 than from 3/1. Additionally, honor should be given out just by being in the game, in that you should get rewarded for delaying your opponent from winning quickly instead of giving up and just heading to the next game.

What they need to do is assign people to more specific roles if there are to be actual results, assuming random pugs can work together...doesn't work. No one ever defends on resource maps, and when they attack they either suck or don't fight near a flag. Or on an FC map, no one ever kills the EFC. People love to laze around defending or fighting in middle. Blizz needs to tell people what to do.

At least in most cases, I've been in some groups that just work together, but more often than not people run around not knowing what to do.

One other thing I forgot to mention, wtf is up with all the people who seem to macro random emotes to every single key they have. Trying to communicate with your team when your chat is filled with "name makes some strange gestures" is kinda annoying. It would work better if you could ignore the opposite faction/add a limit to emotes like TB gen chat.
    Last edited by Zergin8r; 2012-07-16 at 03:03 PM.

a decent idea, its why i never do bgs on my own allways go with friends as i know ill get more hks which is what im after and more honnour which atm means more gold

Quote Originally Posted by subanark View Post

One thing that does need to change is how honor is given out in BGs, right now you can get more honor quicker by letting your opponent win a "hopeless" BG rather than hold off until time expires. E.g. WSG has 5 possible points that can be scored by both teams, that honor needs to be distributed regardless of how many flag caps actually happen. If time expires then any unclaimed flag caps should be divided between both sides. E.g. If you win 1/0, then you get 3.0 flag cap points, while your opponent gets 2.0. If your team wins with all 3, then you should get any flag caps your opponent didn't get, in that you get more honor from 3/0 than from 3/1. Additionally, honor should be given out just by being in the game, in that you should get rewarded for delaying your opponent from winning quickly instead of giving up and just heading to the next game.

So kind of like how LoL adds more IP the longer a game goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    For you perhaps...

I feel that they could always add a reward system, much like the one in SW:TOR. You would get "medals" which increased the amount of honor points you got at the end of the game, some of these medals were horribly designed though and the system as a whole could use more work, but the idea is good. Protecting your bases and keeping your flag carrier or demolisher alive could be some of the things you could be rewarded for.

As a side note, I'm probably one of those people you are annoyed at since I have PvP'ed a lot as a Shaman but never healed. Reason being that I didn't pick Shaman to heal, I picked it to play Elemental or Enhancement. I find healing boring and I won't go out of my way to sacrifice the play-style I find fun just to play one I don't enjoy for the sake of winning.
    You must not have played pre-3.1.

But then I don't get to destroy freshly dinged 85s!
    "Druid must be boss, Hunter is just Drain-monkey.

Hunter scatter this rogue.
    Hunter drain that priest.
    Hunter where is frost trap. Bad Hunter! No banana!
    Hunter where is flare? No flare, you get replaced by retarded warrior!"

-Huainy