Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, they work for some people. But, finding the right one is a long journey. Also, the side effects can make you want to stop taking the drugs, which totally sucks.

Deleted
    Im taking Effexor 150mg XR. It is the best anti-depressant if you also have anxiety problems (it affects noradrenaline reuptake as well as serotonin reuptake). I can honestly say that the medicine really works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Yep, they work for some people. But, finding the right one is a long journey. Also, the side effects can make you want to stop taking the drugs, which totally sucks.
    Not to mention psychiatrists still don't know the permanent long-term effects of these medications on developing brains.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've tried several over the years and the latest combo I'm on is working really well. I don't have that overwhelming sensation to cry like I do without meds. I'm taking Abilify & trazodone but I've taken Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Paxil, and a couple other that escape me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Not to mention psychiatrists still don't know the permanent long-term effects of these medications on developing brains.
    Well, I didn't start taking them until I was 23, so I was more worried about the sexual side effects than the effect on my brain.

Well, I didn't start taking them until I was 23, so I was more worried about the sexual side effects than the effect on my brain.
    I was a couple years younger, but I still believe that at our age our brains are still maturing. Let me check.

Edit: Seems the age is ~25 y/o for the average brain.

dont go to a doctor, they know f all and will generally fob anti-deps on ANYONE like candy
    dunno wheter thay get money for this but they do get sponsored by them ive seen pens and cards with the medication names

im on mertazipine and its good, go see a proper psychiatrist and try out a few
    in the short term you can get a feel of the side effects, they all have varying side effects and pick one you like

it doesnt get effect till 3-6 months of taking them

alot of people are talking shit about this.. and they havnt said what there taking.....

many millions take em
    Last edited by WarJames; 2012-07-17 at 01:20 AM.

The sun is an amazing anti-depressant. But seriously, consult a physician. Not all forms of depression are treated with drugs.

Deleted
    Amusing you said that. I was on Lithium carbonate and melatonin as I couldn't sleep (alongside with counseling). Three years later I have completely lost any sexual attraction to anything. Obviously with psychology cause and effect can't be traced, but if I had to guess I would say there was a link.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulanae View Post
    The sun is an amazing anti-depressant. But seriously, consult a physician. Not all forms of depression are treated with drugs.
    Smart answer too. Suffer mild SAD still. I skip lectures in winter and attend all of them in summer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was a couple years younger, but I still believe that at our age our brains are still maturing. Let me check.

Edit: Seems the age is ~25 y/o for the average brain.
    Oh well, too late now!

WARNING! I found out that I had been taking a diet pill that had an undisclosed anti-depressant in the pill. It has the opposite effect on people who are not depressed. I honestly felt that I went a bit crazy with a overactive mind and paranoia and I certainly did NOT feel good. When I stopped taking them I ended up with an extended period of no emotions. I was not happy, not excited, not sad. It was terrible.

So, pay attention to the crap you take. If a doctor didn't tell you to take them, don't take it. YOU WILL NOT FEEL BETTER about life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Potentio View Post
    Im taking Effexor 150mg XR. It is the best anti-depressant if you also have anxiety problems (it affects noradrenaline reuptake as well as serotonin reuptake). I can honestly say that the medicine really works for me.
    Not really sure if it's the best idea to tell people exactly what you're taking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, they can help alot but it make take time to figure out which one works best for you. I took 4 different ones before I found Lexapro which helped the most. But even with that one over time the dosage became insufficient.

Later switching to Alternative Medicine to treat my MDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulanae View Post
    There's actually truth to that statement. Shortage of Vitamin D (which is acquired by sun exposure) can cause depression (see Seasonal Affective Disorder).

Exercise is also therapeutic.

I tried Paxil for several months, put me out of it and left me more likely to make risky decisions Id normally think on, also had some bad mood swings with it. Had some sexual side effects too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwaarg View Post
    Amusing you said that. I was on Lithium carbonate and melatonin as I couldn't sleep (alongside with counseling). Three years later I have completely lost any sexual attraction to anything. Obviously with psychology cause and effect can't be traced, but if I had to guess I would say there was a link.

Smart answer too. Suffer mild SAD still. I skip lectures in winter and attend all of them in summer.
    Sexual side effects aren't unheard of with those pills.

Unfortunately I cannot tell you if it was the pills for me, as I lacked sexual interests to begin with

10+ Year Old Account
    I majored in Psychology, and have struggled with depression for my whole life.

Yes anti-depressants work. They don't solve sadness due to environmental problems, but they help your brain to function better when there is a neurological problem. Usually long-lasting deep depression is an indicator of a chemical balance that anti-depressants can correct.

I have tried about 15 types of anti-depressants. Some didn't help me at all...for 8 yrs no effect from many varieties. In my early twenties I gave them another try, and felt like I had been taking speed; I felt really crazy energetic for a while, a little uncomfortably so. This is a risk for people who have Bipolar. I didn't know it at the time, but discovered it due to manic responses to anti-depressants. This doesn't happen to everyone, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

I found that the anti-depressants that worked for me made me feel "high" and a little uncomfortable at first. It took me about a month to start feeling like it wasn't artificial, but beyond that point I improved drastically. I stopped obsessing, stopped seeing the most negative sides of everything, I stopped crying constantly, and I had enough energy to leave the house.

When taking them, keep in mind that side-effects tend to fade over time. Good luck, I hope this helps. If you have any questions, I know a ton on the subject. Feel free to private message me and we can chat in more detail, even if simply to vent

Deleted

Exercise is also therapeutic.
    An easy pick-me-up is running in the sun eating a bar of chocolate :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonX View Post
    Thank you

I know talking with my doctor would help a lot but I'm too uncomfortable talking about my problems with anyone so I was planing on purchasing the anti-depressant illegally through a friend. They have access to many kinds of drugs, I was just hoping to get some personal insights before I chose one
    DO NOT DO THIS!! Anti-depressants are extremely dangerous, have a wide variety of side effects if you have a mismatched diagnosis or a wrong dosage, and taking it illegally means you lack supervision and scrutiny. It might be more expensive, but play it safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwaarg View Post
    Yeah, it can be brutal. On both Zoloft and Celexa, the gun was loaded but every round was a dud.