Screen wont turn on after new gpu installed

I recently purchased an Asus Gtx560 to replace my old nividia 9800 GT graphics card since it's overheating has caused me a few problems, however after putting the gtx 560 in and turning on my computer, the screen would just stay black and not respond.
    Power is getting to the card since the fan is working.

Mobo: Gigabyte EG31M-S2
    Psu: 650 W

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Skyraz; 2012-07-17 at 06:11 AM.

i had a similar problem found out it was my crappy power supply, it would run fine for months then boom no screen everything else seemed fine i.e fans spinning leds going in pc case but i replaced with a 750watt psu and no more probs other than that cable fault maybe??
    Last edited by MOLTENSPRING; 2012-07-17 at 06:15 AM.

It could be, but why does it still work with my 9800GT and not the 560?
    Everytime i get something new, i always run into problems

Deleted
    650w is more than enough. You sure you put all the power pins in the card? you can't leave any open.

Hmm, there is 2x6 pin plug points on the gpu. I plugged the one from my old card into the 560. I thought this would be fine since the card only came with 1x6pin, so i figured that it would only need 1.

(sorry about lack of proper words)

The cable that came with gpu has 6pin but one of the pins is empty, which connects to two power cable things while the one i plugged into it has all 6 pins and has PCI-E written on it and pluggs into the psu.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyraz View Post
    Hmm, there is 2x6 pin plug points on the gpu. I plugged the one from my old card into the 560. I thought this would be fine since the card only came with 1x6pin, so i figured that it would only need 1.

(sorry about lack of proper words)

The cable that came with gpu has 6pin but one of the pins is empty, which connects to two power cable things while the one i plugged into it has all 6 pins and has PCI-E written on it and pluggs into the psu.
    Make sure all the plugs are filled on the GPU. If you have to use 2 smaller plugs to make it work that's fine.

Quick question before i attempt it. With the extra 6pin, it has two power plugs coming from it, do i have to plug them both in? since i don't have enough slot to plug them into, due to my fans and ssd/hdd.

And if i need both 6pin slots filled, why did my gpu only come with 1x6pin and not two? surely they cant assume i already had an existing gpu

15+ Year Old Account
    Quick question before i attempt it. With the extra 6pin, it has two power plugs coming from it, do i have to plug them both in? since i don't have enough slot to plug them into, due to my fans and ssd/hdd.

And if i need both 6pin slots filled, why did my gpu only come with 1x6pin and not two? surely they cant assume i already had an existing gpu
    Not all graphics cards are created equal.

Some more powerfull graphic cards require more juice, it's that simple.
    To drive a 2000KG car, what engine would run it better, a 1400CC engine or a 2000CC engine?
    Same principle applies, computers aren't from the dark ages anymore yknow.

And yes.. they CAN assume you already had an existing GPU... It's not their responsibility, you want a high medium-end graphics card, you best be prepared to have the juice to run it.

However i'm curious to know exactly what you mean by: "since i don't have enough slot to plug them into, due to my fans and ssd/hdd."
    Since you have a 650W PSU it should be calculated for this, unless you have a PSU which is cheaper then dirt and from the dark ages still, when the max a 12V line would output is ~350W and the other 300W would be made up of the 3,3V and 5V lines so thereby claiming you have 650W...

Ran into the same problem when I upgraded graphics card. Turns out it was just stupidity on my part. Make sure all ports for the power on the graphics card are filled, and make sure you apply a lot of pressure for those ports to be filled. Requires a lot more pressure to fill them than you may think. Usually makes a clipping sound. Also try re-seating the graphics card. I did all these things and made it work perfectly for me.

read the book that came with your video card, it should tell you which connections need to be made (likely all of them)
    when exactly does nothing show up? does it show the bios loading screen or not even that?
    if it shows the bios loading screen it could be that your resolution/frequency are out of range for the video card if you don't have any drivers installed

my last gigabyte mobo would always require me to unplug it from the wall, flip the power switch on my PSU, plug it up and then everything was fine again

i have no clue why it did it, doesn't make sense, but it was a 100% foolproof fix for it. i figured it was a faulty power switch somewhere on it, my new mobo has never done it but the last one did it probably 20 times in 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Not all graphics cards are created equal.

Some more powerfull graphic cards require more juice, it's that simple.
    To drive a 2000KG car, what engine would run it better, a 1400CC engine or a 2000CC engine?
    Same principle applies, computers aren't from the dark ages anymore yknow.

And yes.. they CAN assume you already had an existing GPU... It's not their responsibility, you want a high medium-end graphics card, you best be prepared to have the juice to run it.

However i'm curious to know exactly what you mean by: "since i don't have enough slot to plug them into, due to my fans and ssd/hdd."
    Since you have a 650W PSU it should be calculated for this, unless you have a PSU which is cheaper then dirt and from the dark ages still, when the max a 12V line would output is ~350W and the other 300W would be made up of the 3,3V and 5V lines so thereby claiming you have 650W...
    Okay i will try and explain what i ment, and again, sorry for the use of non-technical terms.

my pins are like this: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/pcie6.jpg
    With the two white power cable connectors, now i dont have enough of the female ones to plug into, since my hdd/ssd/fans and what not are p[lugged into them. I think this is because all my cords plug into a tube into my psu, so i cant actualy remove any of the plugs from my psu unless i maybe undo the case. (i hope that makes some sort of sence)

Also, does it matter if one pin is like this: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/pcie6.jpg and the other pin is this http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/...connector.jpg? The difference being the one pin that is missing?

(the missing one is the one that comes with my gpu, the other full 6 pin was from old 9800 card)

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    read the book that came with your video card, it should tell you which connections need to be made (likely all of them)
    when exactly does nothing show up? does it show the bios loading screen or not even that?
    if it shows the bios loading screen it could be that your resolution/frequency are out of range for the video card if you don't have any drivers installed
    the 'book' only has 1 page and shows a whole different model :/
    Shows nothing at all, no bios, just a light showing that my monitor has power but just on stand by
    Last edited by Skyraz; 2012-07-17 at 07:12 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Okay i will try and explain what i ment, and again, sorry for the use of non-technical terms.

my pins are like this: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/pcie6.jpg
    With the two white power cable connectors, now i dont have enough of the female ones to plug into, since my hdd/ssd/fans and what not are p[lugged into them. I think this is because all my cords plug into a tube into my psu, so i cant actualy remove any of the plugs from my psu unless i maybe undo the case. (i hope that makes some sort of sence)

Also, does it matter if one pin is like this: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/pcie6.jpg and the other pin is this http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/...connector.jpg? The difference being the one pin that is missing?

(the missing one is the one that comes with my gpu, the other full 6 pin was from old 9800 card)

the 'book' only has 1 page and shows a whole different model :/
    Shows nothing at all, no bios, just a light showing that my monitor has power but just on stand by
    Your GTX560 has 2 female 6-pin connectors, both need to be filled with full 6 pin connectors by your PSU.
    Now since you noted your PSU is non-modular i am going to ask you if you could make a picture of your PSU, preferably where it has a sticker on it and make it a clear picture of that sticker.
    This way we will be able to assist you more, but i have a suspicion that your current PSU is the one from the Dark Ages and has next to no connectors or proper power supply.

Also whilst doing this, please list exactly how much HDDs, SSDs and Optical drives you may have.
    In the event you need a new PSU, we can help you out immediately.

Those connectors are fine, you need to use both, if you are having issues with having enough Molex connectors(the white ones) then you need to buy a splitter or two. But first you should probably make sure that your power supply can handle it. Can you tell us the specs for it or the name of it? The specs that are interesting here is how many Ampere it can deliver on the 12V rail(s).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Those connectors are fine, you need to use both, if you are having issues with having enough Molex connectors(the white ones) then you need to buy a splitter or two. But first you should probably make sure that your power supply can handle it. Can you tell us the specs for it or the name of it? The specs that are interesting here is how many Ampere it can deliver on the 12V rail(s).
    /bitchslap!

Oi, read my post above yours slacker :P Repetitive bugger!