stupid video card question...

yea i dont know much about computers but if i look at..

XFX HD-657X-ZDF2 Radeon HD 6570 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

will this work on a 32-bit system?
    and does DDR3 have to match they type of ram in my computer? (DDR2 1gig x 2 i think)

10+ Year Old Account
    The type of Os matters not for grahpic cards. and no, it doenst have to match the ram on your pc at all.

But before you buy it please say, what kind of use do you expect to give to that graphics card?

You can have a GDDR5 videocard in a PC that supports DDR2 memory with no problem since the GDDR5 is the type of memory that the card uses not the computer memory... even tho DDR3 is kinda old for 1GB card :|

Quote Originally Posted by Rafax View Post
    But before you buy it please say, what kind of use do you expect to give to that graphics card?
    Right now my computer lags on low setting in WoW, really i just want to be able to play without lagging out when theres a medium amount of spell detail EG: AV turtle or DS LFR

1. Yes it will

2. No it doesn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now my computer lags on low setting in WoW, really i just want to be able to play without lagging out when theres a medium amount of spell detail EG: AV turtle or DS LFR
    What are you using right now? The only thing lower than that card could be like.. onboard graphics or something.

Not saying its bad, but just trying to establish if its a "not strong enough" or "things arent working properly" situation. My friend has a nice video card but couldnt play Diablo, or WoW almost at all. Turns out the system was overheating. fixed heat problem, FPS shot up to triple digits.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    What are you using right now? The only thing lower than that card could be like.. onboard graphics or something.

Not saying its bad, but just trying to establish if its a "not strong enough" or "things arent working properly" situation. My friend has a nice video card but couldnt play Diablo, or WoW almost at all. Turns out the system was overheating. fixed heat problem, FPS shot up to triple digits.
    ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series

You probably won't see much of a difference then. I mean, there will be an improvement, but you would be better off saving for a couple more months and then getting an HD 6850 for 120 bucks, which would be a much greater upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that'll be a little bit better. Hard to tell, since theres no such thing as a 4300, or 4500. It could be anything from a 4310 to a 4580.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoocheeseburger View Post
    If thats what you are running in your PC currently, what are the rest of your specs, because depending on those, you may not see anywhere near proper performance boosts from a new video card if your PC cannot handle it. The whole 2GB od DDR2 is a bit of a tell on the age of your system. You may be better waiting even longer and just buy a few more upgrades too get any real boost.
    Cairne, my brother, I will avenge your death, Magatha Grimtotem and her followers will pay with their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    You probably won't see much of a difference then. I mean, there will be an improvement, but you would be better off saving for a couple more months and then getting an HD 6850 for 120 bucks, which would be a much greater upgrade.
    yea the only reason why i don't is beacause i have 2 systems that will need the upgrade, so i was trying to save a little money. But i mean that they got now is pretty bad video cards imo, and their raiting on sites compared to the one mentioned is alot better.

Yeah, that'll be a little bit better. Hard to tell, since theres no such thing as a 4300, or 4500. It could be anything from a 4310 to a 4580.
    i think its closer to 4310 than 4580, googled images of both and it looks closer to 4310. i mean the card itself doesnt have a fan or anything just a clunkly heat sink lol, thats why i was thinking of upgrading just the video cards since i cant afford a new comp :/

---------- Post added 2012-07-17 at 04:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kev2Tall View Post
    If thats what you are running in your PC currently, what are the rest of your specs, because depending on those, you may not see anywhere near proper performance boosts from a new video card if your PC cannot handle it. The whole 2GB od DDR2 is a bit of a tell on the age of your system. You may be better waiting even longer and just buy a few more upgrades too get any real boost.
    Windows XP pro (32-bit)
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.00 GHZ
    2.00 GB of Ram
    Last edited by tattoocheeseburger; 2012-07-17 at 04:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The graphic card you suggested really wont cut it for wow, depending on your resolution you need something like a 6670 and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafax View Post
    The graphic card you suggested really wont cut it for wow, depending on your resolution you need something like a 6670 and up.
    Would you suggest..
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814102988
    would this have a significant upgrade?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes that would be alot better than what you linked before, no top end card but if you have a lower end resolution which you probably do it will cut it.

Windows XP pro (32-bit)
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.00 GHZ
    2.00 GB of Ram
    Sorry mate, but you're going to need to rebuild your pc if you want to see any increase at all. You're running on extremely old hardware, considering the 3800+ came out when WoW was released ~8 years ago. You'll regret wasting your money on something that won't even really effect performance by that much, especially since WoW is a CPU heavy game. Refer to Marest's Sample Builds for an idea of what you should spend. Your system is too old to just add bits and pieces, since you'll need to buy a completely new motherboard to upgrade your CPU, and along with that most likely a PSU and other components.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiromar View Post
    Sorry mate, but you're going to need to rebuild your pc if you want to see any increase at all. You're running on extremely old hardware, considering the 3800+ came out when WoW was released ~8 years ago. You'll regret wasting your money on something that won't even really effect performance by that much, especially since WoW is a CPU heavy game. Refer to Marest's Sample Builds for an idea of what you should spend. Your system is too old to just add bits and pieces, since you'll need to buy a completely new motherboard to upgrade your CPU, and along with that most likely a PSU and other components.
    Thanks so much for the link to the builds, i have to do this upgrade to 2 computers so i was trying to keep it to a min. I was planning on using the above mentioned video card for maybe the next 6 months only, then i was going to look into getting some barebone kits to upgrade the rest, i have to do it slowly because im not rich so i figured this would be an ok way..

either that or i save the almost 200$ and put it towards something like
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16883227422
    ?
    Last edited by tattoocheeseburger; 2012-07-17 at 07:29 PM.

Deleted
    either that or i save the almost 200$ and put it towards something like
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16883227422
    ?
    I really would NOT recommend a prebuilt computer for gaming for 3 reasons:

1) when I look at that computer, it has stuff with it that you likely don't need, but still have to pay extra for. mostly the mouse and keyboard, because you likely already have both. something other is the decal on the side, which you likely also have to pay a premium for.
    2) computers like that often come with a lot of bloatware like free trials, freeware trash and builder services like backups and such. a normal user rarely uses these and a gamer actually hates these because they slow down your PC. all you need as a gamer is windows, a browser, a decent virus protector/firewall combo and likely an office packet. anything else is supplemental and is likely enough to slow down your PC more than anything.
    3)finally, that might be branded as a gaming PC, but it does have some pretty odd choices: for example, I can't think of a single current or near game that actually has need of a hex core CPU or even supports one, and by the time games need one, you'll likely need to buy another PC anyway. on the other hand, afaik, for the same price, AMD is actually slower than intel on the CPU market, and gets decent competition from Nvidia on the GPU market.

the thing i personally recommend for any gamer is this: look online for small or mediumsized computer stores nearby and try to find reviews as well. you're looking for a company that seems like it's staffed by gamers and computer enthousiasts. tell them your budget and ask them what they'd recommend. don't buy it yet though, come back to here and ask our opinion on their recommendation. if we agree with their selection, go back and buy the PC. if not, go to another store and repeat. a gaming PC is not really something you buy at a supermarket or even an electronics store.

thats a good idea bud thanks, when i go get them i will post here to see if it sounds good

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    4300 or 4500 is the actual GPU series, typical Windows crap just says "4300 series AMD Radeon Graphics card." It will not say the exact chip and all.

It will be a good step up though, 4300... 4500... they are both crumby GPUs really not meant for gaming at all, and as I understand it, that series altogether (the 4000s from AMD) just isn't that great. A 6750 will certainly be a noticeable upgrade.

As you can see I thought he posted a 6750, not a 6570. Yeah, it will have DX11 support over the 4xxx series, however it is still a low end card. You'd really want to look to the 6670+ range.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water